Posted: 6/2/2017 12:52:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
She will like it

EMR-A was designed to address issues commonly found on existing ambidextrous magazine releases: close proximity of the lever to the bolt catch, obscuring/masking of the the bolt catch's lower paddle, difficult to press lever (on a particular, popular ambi mag release), lever location on the receiver.

From the ground up, it was designed to be more compatible with a factory bolt catch.  A new generation bolt catch (like the ABC/R) has angled and/or taller lower paddle makes it easier for it to work with ambi mag catches, but not everyone has or wants to upgrade to a new bolt catch.  

EMR-A's lever is low profile for couple of reasons.  One is to create as much clearance as possible for bolt catch access, two is a lower profile has less chances of accidental activation.  

The lowest profile of the EMR-A lever is immediately below the bolt catch's lower paddle.  It is also free of serrations, MCS (Multi-faceted Control Surface) design directs the user's finger to areas where the finger should be.  Serrations only exist where the finger should be pressing.  The area below the bolt catch's lower paddle is flat and smooth, the user instinctively knows there's nothing there to do.  

This is how EMR-A sets its lever apart from the bolt catch's lower paddle.  Close proximity of two control surfaces is not ideal, it makes it difficult and more time consuming for users to tell them apart, especially in low light or no light conditions where a visual isn't always possible.

The area marked with red circle shows the the lowest profile, right below the bolt catch's lower paddle.

The serrated length is divided into 80% shallow V, and 20% flat.  The shallow V shaped surface fits the finger's natural curve and provides additional surface area, the 20% flat serrations provide added traction and forms a natural index for the finger, this is also part of the MCS (Multi-faceted Control Surface), where a control surface has curves or multiple angles to maximize surface area and ergonomics.

The EMR-A's lever mirrors the location of the right side mag release as much as possible.  The feedback from testers and customers have voiced their approval on the placement as natural and intuitive.

Two lengths are available, standard, and extended reach (0.09" longer).  Force amplification means a longer lever is easier to press, a mere 0.09" can make a difference.  For those with smaller hands or shorter fingers, the extended reach is easier to access and press.  For duty and defense ARs and M16s, standard lever should be used.  Rainier Arms carries the EMR-A with standard levers.

Prototype EMR-A levers in the white.  Production levers are type 3 hard coat anodized in black.

A 10.9lb extra spring rate spring is included.  These extra spring rate springs were calibrated and made for the entire Forward Controls EMR family of products (EMR, EMR-C, EMR-A).  We've always wanted a stiffer spring for the mag catch,  60% extra spring rate was selected, it provides just the right pressure without unduly and prematurely fatiguing the user's finger.

Here's an EMR-A with extended lever on a PD issued weapon:
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used the "difficult to press popular ambi mag release" since the 90's, and well... learned to live with it since it was the only game in town.  I never have issues dropping an empty magazine or a partially loaded magazine, but then I am a grown-ass man. SOMETIMES, full magazines are a little harder to get to drop, but then again, I usually only remove a full magazine when I'm unloading the weapon, so I use my right thumb to press the standard side as I'm holding the loaded magazine.
My tiny little wife on the other hand, also lefty, can't drop the magazine on a Glock 17 using her trigger finger, which means that my usual AR mag release is a No-Go for her.
I was thrilled to come across these, and for $30 less than that previously mentioned one I always use (please can it stay like that???) Anyway, to wrap up this story, my wife LOVES it on her lightweight 16" and can, with some effort, drop magazines with her trigger finger.  
I think it's great because it does clear the bolt catch, which, for a lefty, is also a super easy way to lock the bolt open if you aren't blocked by other levers.
I am absolutely putting one of these on my 3-gun lower, and as long as I have no issues with accidental magazine drops, I will probably use these going forward instead of that "other" one.  In fact, I'll probably just take HERs and buy one of the new EMR-A extended.

One more thought - regarding " A new generation bolt catch (like the ABC/R) has angled and/or taller lower paddle makes it easier for it to work with ambi mag catches,"  
NOT really... I have used a couple of those bolt catches, and they usually also have a lower portion of the paddle sticking out a bit to facilitate bolt hold-open.  When using the "other" mag release, it tends to partially block my access to the magazine release with my big fat trigger finger.  Yours is BETTER in that regard too.

Thank you for keeping us lefties in mind when creating new stuff!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
EMR-A with either standard (Rainier Arms carries EMR-A with the standard lever), or extended reach (0.09 longer) have the same MSRP and MAP, and it will not change for quite some time

ABC/R's lower paddle is angled at 10 degree, while the upper paddle is at 10 degree for the lower 50% of the length, and 15 degree for the upper 50%, resulting in a bend or elbow.  The angles are also calibrated to jut out enough to do its job, but no more so

Individual experience will vary re: the degree of pressure that constitutes hard or easy.  The common gripe about the Norgon Ambi-Catch is first, its price, and second, its hard to press button.  There are some variables involved as well, as you've stated.  A fully loaded magazine is somewhat harder to release with the Norgon than an empty one.

The 10.9lb spring with the EMR-A produces a very agreeable pressure for all testers, and customers that have used it  We chose a 60% extra, or 10.9lb spring rate, we tried 25% and 40%, neither had made much difference.  60% extra sounds like a lot, but in practice, while a user will notice the stiffness, the extra pressure isn't enough to quickly tire his finger and hand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet, think I'll pick one of these up soon to replace my other lefty mag release, and move that to my less used AR that isn't ambi at all.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool!

I'm really liking the look of ABC v2 as well! Any idea when the nitrided version will be released?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
8620 ABC/R v2 will be out in 3 to 4 weeks.  We've switched to more durable and expensive black nitride, MSRP will not change.  ABC/R v2 has a redesigned upper paddle that's 10% thinner than v1, the upper 50% of the upper paddle is also tapered to be more compatible with thick billet receivers.  Gone are the sometimes controversial lightening cuts.  We achieved the same weight saving by trimming the upper paddle, which was way too thick anyway in the v1 design.

All of our products are designed to work with TDP specs receivers and components, we can't make several versions to be compatible with receivers that vary a great deal from TDP specs.  The AR15.com receiver isn't that different in other areas, but where the EMR-A would be pivoting, it's fenced off.

Similarly, we knew it wasn't going to be compatible with battery assist device levers and KNS anti-rotation pins.  KNS anti-rotation pins actually have worked with EMR-A on some receivers (on the Umbrella Corp billet receiver in the picture I posted above), but not on standard forged receivers.

When Bill's Maritime Bolt Catch came out a few months ago, we had a feeling it wouldn't be compatible either.  EMR-A's final lever design had been completed months before the first picture of Maritime bolt catch went public.  It's possible for it to work with the EMR-A by removing some material from either or both, but the close proximity of two control surfaces is best avoided.

In order to closely mirror the location of the right side mag release button, EMR-A's lever is quite close to the bolt catch's lower paddle.  So we made the area of the lever very low profile there to minimize interference, and to avoid placing two control surfaces so close together.

As to compatibility with BAD type levers and KNS anti-rotation pins, we weren't able to, therefore made no attempt to accommodate them.  Couple of reasons, BAD type lever, while useful to some, causes malfunctions on some ARs.  Anti-rotation pins are mostly unnecessary.  In order to make the EMR-A compatible with them, the design would have been altered in ways detrimental to its core functions, and we do not deem either to be of particular convincing causes to make these compromises.

This is not to knock either BAD type levers or anti-rotation pins.  We have our priorities in functions that must be achieved, these happen to be two that conflict with our objectives.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Another standard and extended reach lever comparison.  The EMR-A lever on the bottom appears to be larger, it's just the perspective of the camera

On both EMR-A lever, where the shallow V shaped portion (accounts for 80% of the total serrated length) meets the straight (accounts for 20% of the serrated length) is where the finger exerts most pressure.  

Distance from the center of the mag catch shaft to that point is 0.35 on the standard lever, and 0.36 on the extended reach lever.  If you recall, we designed the EMR-A's lever to closely mimic the location of its right side counter part, and we've done that.  Whatever the right hand is doing on one side, so does the left hand on the other side.  It stands to reason if one is used to extending his right index finger, at an angle, to access the mag release button on the right, the left hand and finger will instinctively do likewise.

Distance from that point (where 80% V shape meets 20% flat serrations) to the fulcrum is 0.64 (standard lever) and 0.65 (extended lever).  Future development may include a super short EMR-A lever, it might be 0.09 to 0.10 shorter than the standard lever.

EMR-A levers are user level installed parts.  We thought about including both, but it'd just be added expense and parts that folks would have sitting in a bin.  In the near future, if we do have 3 lever options, we may restart the lever exchange program.  If that sounds familiar, well many of you remember the company I used be a partner of where I pioneered it
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting products here. Could I get weight data on the mag release and bolt catch?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
EMR-A with standard lever: 0.375 oz
EMR-A with extended lever: 0.384 oz

ABC/R v2: 0.463 oz

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]
fantastic, thank you!

BTW, any chance there will be a Ti version of the bolt catch? AFAIK, the only Ti catch on the market is the $150 one from Badger...
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Thought about it, even had the instructions/product card printed with the Ti option, but I don't think we will produce one.  We're moving away (never was a big fan) of Ti components on an AR.

LDFA (low drag forward assist) is still available in Ti, but after it runs out, I'm not sure if we'll make more.  The 40% weight saving is nice, but it contributes so little to the overall weight it's rather pointless, especially given the extra cost.  We were never on the light weight bandwagon, the extreme weight saving boat will sail one day, if it hasn't already.  In any case, we don't do trendy stuff, just things that make the machine to human interface better, most of it isn't trendy or popular.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think it would work if you have a magpul BAD lever.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#16]
EMR-A isn't compatible with battery assist device levers as stated in the June 2 post

As to compatibility with BAD type levers and KNS anti-rotation pins, we weren't able to, therefore made no attempt to accommodate them. Couple of reasons, BAD type lever, while useful to some, causes malfunctions on some ARs. Anti-rotation pins are mostly unnecessary. In order to make the EMR-A compatible with them, the design would have been altered in ways detrimental to its core functions, and we do not deem either to be of particular convincing causes to make these compromises.

On some receivers (like the Umbrella Corp. billet receiver), KNS pins actually work with the EMR-A, but it's safe to assume they will not on a forged receiver.

We do not consider compatibility with them important enough to alter the lever design, which then wouldn't be as good as it is now.  One causes malfunctions on some receivers (battery assist device levers), the other (anti rotation pins) is generally unnecessary on most receivers.

ABC/R (Augmented Bolt Catch/Release, pictured above the EMR-A) similarly forgoes compatibility with BAD type levers for the same reason.  In order for it to work with it, its carefully designed upper paddle (angled at 10 degree at the lower 50%, and 15 degree at the upper 50%) would have to be shaped like the factory oval paddle, thus giving up the benefits reaped from the design.

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#17]
EMR-A is compatible with KNS Gen2 Mod2, and Mod JJ anti-rotation pins

Link Posted: 11/19/2017 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#18]
60 day rule
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top