Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else have trouble with the crossbolt at the bottom of the jig - holding the left & right sides together at the bottom?  My first receiver I had to fiddle with the sides a bit, loosen the drill guide screws and then it went in.  My second receiver was a nightmare - ended up taking the whole jig completely back to pieces, applying a whole lot of cussing, and eventually got the bolt to seat  For grins I tried removing the second receiver and immediately attempting to seat that bolt - no joy.  I don't see how the jig can stay together between receivers given the amount of fiddling I'm having to do with that bolt - maybe it's just me, but dang.

Darn 8" Harbor Freight drill press didn't have enough travel and height to clear the jig to do the initial drilling so I carefully went by hand.... That worked fine on the first unit, but as I was finishing the 3/8" starter hole on the second I realized I'd wallowed out the guide - DOH!  Worse I apparently got the 5/16 hole off too - so there's a nurgle in my trigger slot.

#^%$!%^@$!  I guess I needed a bigger and better drill press and shoulda bailed until I had one

On the plus side, this jig makes the milling WAY easier than others I've seen/tried though.  Now I kinda wish it had replaceable drill guide bushings 'cuz apparently I'm an idiot.

Also, the dust collector attachment for the DWP611 works pretty well - still get a lot of chips, put probably 50-75% of them go up the vac - so I rate that a win at least.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback, let us know if there's anything you need from us. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else have trouble with the crossbolt at the bottom of the jig - holding the left & right sides together at the bottom?  My first receiver I had to fiddle with the sides a bit, loosen the drill guide screws and then it went in.  My second receiver was a nightmare - ended up taking the whole jig completely back to pieces, applying a whole lot of cussing, and eventually got the bolt to seat  For grins I tried removing the second receiver and immediately attempting to seat that bolt - no joy.  I don't see how the jig can stay together between receivers given the amount of fiddling I'm having to do with that bolt - maybe it's just me, but dang.
Thanks for the feedback, let us know if there's anything you need from us. 
@5DTactical - I at least need to order a new drill guide from you (my fault).  Do my crossbolt problems sound typical? Am I an idiot or is it possible my jig is a little wonky?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's hard to say exactly, but no particular problem is typical. If there's aluminum shavings on the screw before removal, for example, it could bugger the threads. Or if upon initial installation the threads didn't time correctly and it was forced in, that will lead to a headache as well. If you'd like to send an email to us sales 'at' 5dtactical.com with some pictures we can certainly do a little more detective work. The cross bolt threads are 1/4"-20 and the screw is a 1/4"-20 x 1.75" socket cap screw. In the event you need a new screw or happen to need a thread tap, those are the sizes you need.
View Quote
Thanks @5Dtactical, ygm!  What gets me is that after the 2nd lower was milled & drilled, I removed the bolt and reinstalled and it wouldn't thread in....  Anyway, more detail in the email, and I'm happy to send it to y'all for inspection/diagnosis if that's the best answer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Thought I'd just leave some feedback for yall about the jig.

First; I love the jig, made finishing the two lowers I've used it for so far extremely easy to complete.

Setup was easy and obvious and functioned extremely well even using my drill press from 1948. I went with the recommended Makita router for use with it. Setting up the router specific attachments was easy and obvious thanks to the well written and illustrated instructions.

My only slight gripe; when making the very last pass in the bottom of the FCG pocket I found it a little difficult to start the pass in the "crater" left by the pilot bit. On the first lower when attempting to complete this operation I followed a similar procedure to what's recommended for the trigger slot. I started on low RPMs then stepped the speed up after I had cleared a decent amount of material away. Unfortunately in this process I had the endmill chatter and skip and it made contact with the side of the FCG pocket. No serious damage and I was able to smooth out the scratch with some sandpaper.

On the second lower I did immediately after the first lower, to eliminate the possibility of this happening again. I chucked the endmill into my drill press and used it to essentially drill out a plateau in the bottom of the lower at the final depth, to make a starting point for the router. This alleviated the issue of starting the final pass.

All in all; I'd highly recommend this jig to anyone looking to complete 80% lowers at home. Just have a shop vac and a tarp prepared, and maybe a disposable set of painter's coveralls.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for your feedback! As you found out, where there's merely a "crater" left from the #2 pilot hole, that is the point where you will want to start in the #3 trigger slot pilot hole. This may be on your 2nd or 3rd final pass, depending on how deep you initially drilled the #2 hole. Sounds like you have it figured out, but I wanted to reiterate for others who may encounter the same thing. Great work!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thought I'd just leave some feedback for yall about the jig.

First; I love the jig, made finishing the two lowers I've used it for so far extremely easy to complete.

http://i.imgur.com/eIxbxUI.jpg

Setup was easy and obvious and functioned extremely well even using my drill press from 1948. I went with the recommended Makita router for use with it. Setting up the router specific attachments was easy and obvious thanks to the well written and illustrated instructions.

My only slight gripe; when making the very last pass in the bottom of the FCG pocket I found it a little difficult to start the pass in the "crater" left by the pilot bit. On the first lower when attempting to complete this operation I followed a similar procedure to what's recommended for the trigger slot. I started on low RPMs then stepped the speed up after I had cleared a decent amount of material away. Unfortunately in this process I had the endmill chatter and skip and it made contact with the side of the FCG pocket. No serious damage and I was able to smooth out the scratch with some sandpaper.

On the second lower I did immediately after the first lower, to eliminate the possibility of this happening again. I chucked the endmill into my drill press and used it to essentially drill out a plateau in the bottom of the lower at the final depth, to make a starting point for the router. This alleviated the issue of starting the final pass.

All in all; I'd highly recommend this jig to anyone looking to complete 80% lowers at home. Just have a shop vac and a tarp prepared, and maybe a disposable set of painter's coveralls.
Thanks for your feedback! As you found out, where there's merely a "crater" left from the #2 pilot hole, that is the point where you will want to start in the #3 trigger slot pilot hole. This may be on your 2nd or 3rd final pass, depending on how deep you initially drilled the #2 hole. Sounds like you have it figured out, but I wanted to reiterate for others who may encounter the same thing. Great work!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I want to get one of these soon.

Pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Ordered mine yesterday (170918) and it shipped today!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I received my jig a few days ago. I going to give it a whirl this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Any coupon codes for Arfcom or impending sales?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
60 day rule
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top