BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen, the other one requires you to drill a bunch of holes, then use the router to connect them. This has 2 pilot holes and uses a special endmill to do the primary cutting.

The main feature I like is the pilot pins that direct the cutting versus watching your router to keep it in the template.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a link to my review

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/707637_.html&page=1

I completed the receiver in a hour and 45 minutes and was test firing it a hour and 15 minutes later.

Ran through two mags with no issues.

It would have been faster, but I was taking my time since it was my first attempt and I was taking pics.

Your jig IMO is best thing to hit the 80% AR market, I think your milling machines will be running 24/7 for a while

The nicks on the side were due to my zero experience with a router

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Just received my router jig kit in the mail yesterday and it looks sweet. I'll be experimenting on a Anderson lower this weekend!! Can't wait!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just received my router jig kit in the mail yesterday and it looks sweet. I'll be experimenting on a Anderson lower this weekend!! Can't wait!!!
View Quote
You will be pleased with their jig.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We will do something special for the ARFCOM faithful. Promise!
View Quote
Looking forward to seeing what you offer for an ARFCOM special.  
I would be interested in a package that includes the AR-15 jig kit, tooling, and 2 forged 80% AR-15 lowers (anodized).

Bonus if you offer a special that includes the AR-10 jig conversion parts and 2 forged 80% AR-10 lowers (anodized).

The way your jig uses locating buttons instead of riding on the spinning tool seems vastly superior to me.  I use the Mod heavy duty jig and already only drill the trigger hole and machine from that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not, I already HAVE the jig. :-p

The way your jig uses locating buttons instead of riding on the spinning tool seems vastly superior to me.  I use the Mod heavy duty jig and already only drill the trigger hole and machine from that.

When I saw the other jig, I sort of had the idea of using the pins like this one does and basically sat here waiting for the internet to deliver. When it did, I ordered one. All Hail the Internet, Provider of All Things!

Only issue I have is that the drill stop collar doesn't actually fit on the drill bit. Pretty sure it won't make a huge difference since I'll just mark it off with tape, but I emailed them anyway just to check.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for your business and kind words!

New router, make sure the depth lock is tight!

We aren't in the business of knocking a competitor's product, but we can certainly list all of the ways our jig is different than anything else on the market. You can decide...
View Quote

Thank you for the reply.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the standard modulus jig and I am considering upgrading to their HD jig with the steel inserts.  But now that you're in the market with this product....

If you can offer the jig with end mill drill bits and stop for $200 shipped I'm in!

Do you offer replacement parts, like side plates and drilling guides?

What's the expected life of your endmills ....How many lowers can you get out of one end mill without chatter issues and such?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have the standard modulus jig and I am considering upgrading to their HD jig with the steel inserts.  But now that you're in the market with this product....

If you can offer the jig with end mill drill bits and stop for $200 shipped I'm in!

Do you offer replacement parts, like side plates and drilling guides?

What's the expected life of your endmills ....How many lowers can you get out of one end mill without chatter issues and such?

Thanks!
View Quote
They offer all the replacement parts on their website.

http://www.5dtactical.com/jig-replacement-parts-s/108.htm
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been on the fence about milling my own lower, but I believe I'm going for it now
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]
5D sent me the drill stop, should be here soon. I went ahead and marked off the depth with some tape and drilled my first "test" lower anyway, worked fine. Waiting on another piece before trying the router cutting.

Drilling was tedious, I can't imagine drilling 20 holes or whatnot. :)

To 5D, I see you guys offer an 80%, but I prefer basic types, any plans to offer just regular lowers rather than finger groove stuff?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have to ask, are sales crazy now? everyone I see in the 80% pages on here and facebook are wanting one of your jigs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Might just have to get into the 80% lower game now :D
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Broke down and placed my order tonight! I have a couple 80% receivers waiting to go. Might have to fill out a couple more.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
If I can sell this new unused 80 Percent Arms kit and unused bits I will be ordering from you guys. I want the kit and the custom drill bit + drill bits. I'm sold! (Now I got to get to selling.) Searched for discount codes just because lol. Judge not...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Better pic of the lower, been shooting it quite a bit with no issues.

Think I will build another next week.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm going to have to jump in on this next payday.  

Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered mine today, I usually don't get too excited about things, however...........
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#22]
''- Our jigs are blue. ''

Blue? BLUE,  you say? Well, why I have I not sent my money already?

I used to build muzzleloaders, so I totally fall in line with the "personal satisfaction" argument. Thing is, I own at least eight routers already, most of them at least 1 HP. Might be tough for me to justify buying another one. I find that I'm warming up to the idea of finishing my own lower, though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Well finished another today, came out great.

I am still slow it took me a bit over a hour, but I am pleased with the results.

Your Jig kicks ass BTW!

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am still slow it took me a bit over a hour, but I am pleased with the results.
View Quote

6061 or 7075?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

6061 or 7075?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6061 or 7075?
I think 7075, its a tactical machining lower
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#26]
What speed did you have your router running?
I plan on getting the DeWalt with the variable speed.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What speed did you have your router running?
I plan on getting the DeWalt with the variable speed.
Thanks!
View Quote
I sit the mill in the guide hole, turn it on at one then move it to 6 and start milling. 

After each pass is done i slow it down to one, turn it off and remove it.

I didn't do this one my first lower and the router got away from me and scratch the inside of the pocket
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Again for the info.
I have a couple polymer 80 lowers in addition to the TM's, should FLY through the poly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

AWESOME job man! That looks flawless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well finished another today, came out great.

Your Jig kicks ass BTW!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG-0756-132971.jpg

AWESOME job man! That looks flawless.
Thanks
 The jig makes it simple.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

We're anxiously awaiting what you've got for us!  My gun room will soon be finished and I'll need a jig for my projects.  The new billet 80%'s look great by the way, simple and stylish.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Jig looks great!  What's the current backorder timeline?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:22:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you, we put considerable thought and effort into the deign of our new billet 80% AR-15 lower.

As of today, 3-4 weeks possibly sooner. Thanks!
View Quote

Went to your site to order one last night and saw that. Bummer.

Think I'll call you guys on Monday and make sure I get exactly what I want.

Ed
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I ordered your jig about 4 weeks ago - so still waiting ...

But  looking forward to getting the email that says it shipped.

I tried another "highly rated" jig before I bought it,  the idea of the end mill riding in a guide and essentially having no easy way to see inside or being able to get chips out  made it a non starter for me. I wanted a nice job so I was blowing it out constantly and checking the piece constantly. Not only did it take a long time, it was frustrating.

For those who have never worked with aluminum, if you don't clear the chips often the aluminum can actually embed itself back into the work. Then you have a mess or least a poor part when done.

Just that aspect of your design, not to mention the "no-touch" end mill to jig is so much better IMO I cannot wait to get it.

A couple questions, do you suggest using A-9 or WD as a lubricant to help end mill life?

I know you cannot suggest speeds due to Router differences, but it seems to me you can give a range?

I went ahead and bought the PC 6435 Router ...  Thanks for the great router choice write up!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm in... Looking forward to shipment
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:11:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I got my email yesturday that my jig has shipped. I hope I can find time this weekend to put it to use.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A couple questions, do you suggest using A-9 or WD as a lubricant to help end mill life?
I know you cannot suggest speeds due to Router differences, but it seems to me you can give a range?
View Quote

Interested as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got my email yesturday that my jig has shipped. I hope I can find time this weekend to put it to use.
View Quote

What was the date you ordered yours?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sweet

Looking forward to pics.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:20:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool!  How long between order and the email notice?

Also, your forum name suggests you ride an FLTR like me. True?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I ordered your jig about 4 weeks ago - so still waiting ...

But  looking forward to getting the email that says it shipped.

I tried another "highly rated" jig before I bought it,  the idea of the end mill riding in a guide and essentially having no easy way to see inside or being able to get chips out  made it a non starter for me. I wanted a nice job so I was blowing it out constantly and checking the piece constantly. Not only did it take a long time, it was frustrating.

For those who have never worked with aluminum, if you don't clear the chips often the aluminum can actually embed itself back into the work. Then you have a mess or least a poor part when done.

Just that aspect of your design, not to mention the "no-touch" end mill to jig is so much better IMO I cannot wait to get it.

I went ahead and bought the PC 6435 Router ...  Thanks for the great router choice write up!
View Quote

Quick follow up
Received my email weds and jig showed up last night. 5D met their projected ship date right on - I appreciate that
I have to say I am NOT disappointed. This is a precision quality tool.
Fit and finish are perfect. Professional appearance of packaging as well.
Router jig kit was also impressive. Custom drills and end mill are well finished and sharp and reasonably priced for the quality
Just wish I ordered a spare end mill as I feel I will like using this jig
I have been through the video and the instructions a couple times and it looks like WD40 is going to be my choice of lubricant for milling
I will put it to work today and post the results
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#44]
My jig came on Monday and it is awesome.  I've finished two lowers and intend to order another end mill (or two).  Are there any other parts that wear that I might want to order with the extra end mill?  Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My jig came on Monday and it is awesome.  I've finished two lowers and intend to order another end mill (or two).  Are there any other parts that wear that I might want to order with the extra end mill?  Thanks!

http://www.pbase.com/osucowboy8/image/164992852/large.jpg
View Quote
looks great, well done!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Getting more excited than a kid at Christmas.
I ordered mine 24-JAN-17.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
looks great, well done!!!
View Quote

Thank you.  I'd have to say much of the credit goes to 5DT.  Their jig makes it easy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thank you.  I'd have to say much of the credit goes to 5DT.  Their jig makes it easy.
View Quote
Yea it makes it easy, I think their jig will bring more people into the 80% lower game.

You asked about parts, I got two extra endmills and im gonna order 2 extra bearings.

I cant see anything else wearing out except the side plates if your not good the keeping the drill bit straight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#49]
This is the best jig I've seen to date. Congrats on the release and I look forward to using one in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Received my shipping notice yesterday, 4 weeks to the day since I ordered it.
Off to Lowes for the DeWalt variable speed router.
WOO HOO!!!!!!!!
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top