User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the minimum inner diameter of the hand guard needed for a .750" barrel?
View Quote
There is a thread in the piston forum about fitment. I know the noveske nsr worked and it's pretty small.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
My test fitting says it will fit under a DD MFR, which should have its specs available, but its pretty slim as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

all right! many thnx Darkamek!
View Quote
Did you get your 11.5 Faxon running good finally? I actually was about to pull the trigger on their Big Gunner and had planned on a Odin Works (I have used on a couple builds) but I'm sold on the Superlative block.  Now I need to make sure I can make it run (or at least have a real plan and not just "hopes" that I can set it up to work) with the block.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got my Superlative gas block running right on my BCM 11.5" SBR with SIG 556 SRD Ti can.  31 clicks out gave me me perfect function with Wolf, M855, and handloads.  I did see some sparks coming out the front,mount of the bleed off, I assume, didn't bother me. How much more should I play with it?  Rifle is quite dirty and now I'm confident in its function with the SA bleed off gas block.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If the can is Ti then the sparks were coming out of the can. My F1 is Ti tube, end cap, and Griffin adapter, as well as a Ti blast chamber spacer. The baffles are all SS 17-4. Ti likes to throw white sparks. Mine does is every once in a while, but not much. Just for shits and giggles I'm gonna try a Sprinco blue and red spring to see if I can turn the adjustment down a little. I am almost maxed out when running my can so I'd like a little play room. I have an 11.5" DD barrel so they are known to be over gassed. I am hoping one of the springs can increase my lock time slightly. I'm not an expert by any means, I just like to experiment.
View Quote
Excellent reminder on Ti, thank you.  Think I should turn it out a little more?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where is it ejecting at?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent reminder on Ti, thank you.  Think I should turn it out a little more?
Where is it ejecting at?
I wish I knew, was at indoor range.  I'll shoot in the back acreage tomorrow and report back.  I appreciate your help, I emailed the company asking for instructions or the video QR code that I can't find.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I got talked into one of these. I just turned it all the way off and only turned it enough to function.  don't even care about the so called bleed off. Sounds more like a gimmick
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I got out to tune mine yesterday and will be putting 1K thru it this weekend for a class.

34 out for bleed off, 40 out with the can on got reliable hold open with PMC bronze, so anything else should be good to go.

I didnt notice a difference in behaviors between restrictive and bleed off without the can, but with the can i got a noticeable reduction in the amount of face-gas.

My usual AGB's are SLR's, but with this setup (12.5" 5.56), the bleed off does help. I'm so far, pleased.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I ran my SBR with can and my buddies SBR with a can side by side. He adjusted his like you did and I used the bleed off. Mine had way less gas to the face and was more enjoyable to shoot. Take that for what it's worth.
View Quote
After a 1000 round rifle class this weekend, I can say the gas block did it job. I ran it probably 70/30 unsuppressed/suppressed and experienced far less gas to the face than with the old standard gas block. Im 40 clicks out and it runs and locks back with or without the can. I didnt want to be screwing with it during class so i left it where it would lock me back with PMC without the can and then moved out a couple more clicks (class ammo was 62gr GGG).

I dont notice much difference without the can versus the old gas system, but the old system was a mid length 16, so the 12.5 carbine is going to be sharper anyway. What i can say is that the inside of the handguard in front of the block is a completely different color than the rest (factory cerakote brown), so its definitely venting gas forward as designed. While I dont plan on running out and replacing SLR's with these, if you are going to get a new build going or want to try an adjustable, give this one a shot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

After a 1000 round rifle class this weekend, I can say the gas block did it job. I ran it probably 70/30 unsuppressed/suppressed and experienced far less gas to the face than with the old standard gas block. Im 40 clicks out and it runs and locks back with or without the can. I didnt want to be screwing with it during class so i left it where it would lock me back with PMC without the can and then moved out a couple more clicks (class ammo was 62gr GGG).

I dont notice much difference without the can versus the old gas system, but the old system was a mid length 16, so the 12.5 carbine is going to be sharper anyway. What i can say is that the inside of the handguard in front of the block is a completely different color than the rest (factory cerakote brown), so its definitely venting gas forward as designed. While I dont plan on running out and replacing SLR's with these, if you are going to get a new build going or want to try an adjustable, give this one a shot.
View Quote
Thank you for the outstanding review/torture test. I've got one coming with a faxon barrel, and am looking to upgrade a few non-adjustable gas blocks as soon as I find a sale. This solidifies my decision to give the Superlative Arms blocks a shot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you disable/enable the bleedoff?  I can't get a manual out of the company.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
From what I remember in my research, yes, I cant recall the exact settings, but there are several that are strictly restriction, and then it opens up to bleed off mode. There is a pretty in depth review on youtube (cant remember who did it) that went over the settings if I recall.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I got one last week but haven't gotten around to installing it.

Full closed to 4.5 revolutions out is restricting, 4.5 is full open,  >4.5 rev out is bleeding off
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I made contact with someone at the company, but we keep missing each other.  I appreciate him trying to help, just want the manual.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From what I remember in my research, yes, I cant recall the exact settings, but there are several that are strictly restriction, and then it opens up to bleed off mode. There is a pretty in depth review on youtube (cant remember who did it) that went over the settings if I recall.
View Quote
Here is the in shop look at the DI gas block......https://youtu.be/0y02vdDzRUk

I have a field test of the DI gas block and a shop and field evaluation of the piston kit as well. Surperlative Arms appears to be good gear.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here is the in shop look at the DI gas block......https://youtu.be/0y02vdDzRUk

I have a field test of the DI gas block and a shop and field evaluation of the piston kit as well. Surperlative Arms appears to be good gear.
View Quote
That's the one! Excellent review, when the gas block first came out, you were one of the first to offer up a rock solid review/demo, it basically sold me on the gas blocks. Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm able to cycle fine with it all the way out CCW. I have a lw build with faxon 16" pencil, aim lw bcg, and 1 oz buffer, reduced power spring.

Also have tested the CW block method to reduce gas. Great gas block.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, I believe it's 4 revolutions CCW that is full gas or no effect from gas block.

Quoted:
Can you disable/enable the bleedoff?  I can't get a manual out of the company.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I made contact with someone at the company, but we keep missing each other.  I appreciate him trying to help, just want the manual.
View Quote
https://suparms.com/pages/installation-instructions
Page two is the adjustment procedure.  Yes, this is technically the manual for their adjustable piston gas block, but it seems to line up with what other users have posted in this thread, i.e less than 4.5 is restrictive, 4.5 is max, and greater than 4.5 is bleed off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm able to cycle fine with it all the way out CCW. I have a lw build with faxon 16" pencil, aim lw bcg, and 1 oz buffer, reduced power spring.

Also have tested the CW block method to reduce gas. Great gas block.
View Quote
How much gas do you figure is coming out of the gas block with it all the way open? Sounds like you have way too much gas for those parts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Based on the color of the inside of my handguard at the front versus the rear, quite a bit of gas is bleeding off. I dont know if i can quantify the amount of carbon gunk, but after 1000 rounds half suppressed, i was expecting a dirtier gun than I had.

Only issue i had on install is that i bent up 2 rolls pins trying to get them thru the gas tube, and the last one i had wouldnt go in all the way. It ran the whole class and then some without backing out, but it is sticking out the side a bit. I'll lightly ream the holes at some point, starting with the brownells gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://suparms.com/pages/installation-instructions
Page two is the adjustment procedure.  Yes, this is technically the manual for their adjustable piston gas block, but it seems to line up with what other users have posted in this thread, i.e less than 4.5 is restrictive, 4.5 is max, and greater than 4.5 is bleed off.
View Quote
You are correct.  I have spoken to Tony at Superlative and this is what he has told me.

Dan
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Double Tap.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did you get your 11.5 Faxon running good finally? I actually was about to pull the trigger on their Big Gunner and had planned on a Odin Works (I have used on a couple builds) but I'm sold on the Superlative block.  Now I need to make sure I can make it run (or at least have a real plan and not just "hopes" that I can set it up to work) with the block.

Thanks!
View Quote
I got the 10.3 barrel running great, which is suppressed with a Sandown S. I also got my other one running great with a OSS suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:05:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Anybody running this gas block under a Geissele MK14 rail yet? Does it fit?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:03:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

i'm running the piston kit under a KMR. It should fit.
View Quote
Outstanding! Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone know the set screw spacing dimension?

I looked through this thread and also on the Superlative Arms site but didn't see it.

Maybe I just overlooked it, not sure.

The only reason it matters is that I want to replace the low profile .875" Noveske gas block on my 7.62mm Noveske barrel with an adjustable gas block. The problem is that the Noveske block only has a single set screw, in the middle of the gas block and .400 spacing seems like it would be cutting it a little close to the single dimple that's already in the barrel.

.450" spacing would be a better option, so that's why I'm curious.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does anyone know the set screw spacing dimension?

I looked through this thread and also on the Superlative Arms site but didn't see it.

Maybe I just overlooked it, not sure.

The only reason it matters is that I want to replace the low profile .875" Noveske gas block on my 7.62mm Noveske barrel with an adjustable gas block. The problem is that the Noveske block only has a single set screw, in the middle of the gas block and .400 spacing seems like it would be cutting it a little close to the single dimple that's already in the barrel.

.450" spacing would be a better option, so that's why I'm curious.

Thanks.
View Quote
It's greater than .400 spacing, I measured .420 center to center with calipers. Used SLR dimple jig for .450 spacing and worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't know how to measure, but it's a stock faxon 4150 16" pencil barrel mid-length. Am going to try a Nemo lighter weight spring, and with this, I expect to be able to turn down some bleed off.

Quoted:

How much gas do you figure is coming out of the gas block with it all the way open? Sounds like you have way too much gas for those parts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I too ran it all the way open with and without a suppressor on a new Spike's 11.5 with lock-back on last round.  Perhaps it is way overgassed as some SBRs are?  My next stop is to pop in an extra power spring and maybe an H3 buffer (had a Spike T-2 in there).  Definitely some carbon under the handguard, which makes me think the bleed-off is working... did reduce gas to the face although I also doubled up the RTV sealant around the CH.   Only other issue is mine doesn't have 'clicks' as others have pointed out; it's just continuous turns.   I was finally able to have the bolt not lock on last round by screwing it all the way in (restrictive mode); when I unscrewed it one full rotation (which I think is four clicks if it were 'clicking'' it had enough gas to lock back.  But 4.5 rotations is supposed to be max gas (18 clicks?).....
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I see plenty of references that this gas block/piston kit fits under the BCM rails, but are we talking about just the set screw models fit or does the clamp on .75 model also clear?

Edit.  Found it fits, but screw heads might need sanding
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Didn't read all the comments, but there seems to be mixed feelings.

I put one on my 16" rifle I use for 3 gun at the beginning of the season. I have about 3K rounds through it since I installed the block. That's 3 multiple day, high round count matches and a lot of time in different temp environments and being chucked into dump barrels. Not a single issue since it was installed and tuned for the ammo. Just bought another one for a suppressed 10.5" AR.

Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Finally got the field test DI video edited. Some interesting findings. Bleed-off does not sacrifice velocity compared to standard non-adjustable DI gas block. DI bleed-off does well with suppressor, like the piston. Warning, is is long. Not for those with ADD.

https://youtu.be/UwHA9pvkgYA
View Quote
This is what happens when surgeons create YouTube gun videos. Incredibly comprehensive with no bullshit. Thanks very much for the information.

Are you missing part of your right index finger?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is what happens when surgeons create YouTube gun videos. Incredibly comprehensive with no bullshit. Thanks very much for the information.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finally got the field test DI video edited. Some interesting findings. Bleed-off does not sacrifice velocity compared to standard non-adjustable DI gas block. DI bleed-off does well with suppressor, like the piston. Warning, is is long. Not for those with ADD.

https://youtu.be/UwHA9pvkgYA

Partial amp of #2,3&4 digits on right hand. Got a lot of grief about "trigger discipline" when I first started out with the videos. When my trigger finger is straight and off the trigger it looks like I am still on the trigger...LOL.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I had my local gunsmith install one of these on a FAXON 11.5 barrel.  Test fire was single shot.  The adjustment screw was all the way in closing off the gas port.  I tried to back it out, wouldn't budge, tried harder, wouldn't budge, tried harder, broke he head off the adjustment screw.  

I e-mailed Superlative customer service.  Weeks went by with no response, no e-mail, no phone call.  

I finally just replaced it with an Ultra Low-Profile Gas Block also from FAXON to get my SBR back to operational.  It is working fine, of course, I cannot adjust it.  

I was really hoping this would work since I can no longer find my favorite, the Syrac Ordnance Gen 2 adjustable gas block.

Just providing a heads up, the Superlative Adjustable Block may work great but I wouldn't count on their customer support should you have problems.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I had my local gunsmith install one of these on a FAXON 11.5 barrel.  Test fire was single shot.  The adjustment screw was all the way in closing off the gas port.  I tried to back it out, wouldn't budge, tried harder, wouldn't budge, tried harder, broke he head off the adjustment screw.  

I e-mailed Superlative customer service.  Weeks went by with no response, no e-mail, no phone call.  

I finally just replaced it with an Ultra Low-Profile Gas Block also from FAXON to get my SBR back to operational.  It is working fine, of course, I cannot adjust it.  

I was really hoping this would work since I can no longer find my favorite, the Syrac Ordnance Gen 2 adjustable gas block.

Just providing a heads up, the Superlative Adjustable Block may work great but I wouldn't count on their customer support should you have problems.
View Quote
Sounds like your gunsmith may have done something funky but never the less call SA. If they do not answer leave a message. They should call you back. Please post here if you do not get a call back soon. They are in Florida so they may not have internet service and power yet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Building my first sbr. I was considering an 8 inch pistol barrel with a 10" handguard setup to have the supressor attach underneath the hanguard. However, I realized if I have a bleed off gas block on a 4 inch pistol port, there must definitely be a chance i will burn my hand if I reach out above the gas block. Is this a correct assumption or do I not understand how the gas expels from the bleed off?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I looked at the You Tube clip in this thread. The bleed off gas is expelled through a hole to the left of the gas adjustment screw. The gas is bled off towards to muzzle of the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I forgot to mention I would be using the piston setup, if that makes a difference
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Building my first sbr. I was considering an 8 inch pistol barrel with a 10" handguard setup to have the supressor attach underneath the hanguard. However, I realized if I have a bleed off gas block on a 4 inch pistol port, there must definitely be a chance i will burn my hand if I reach out above the gas block. Is this a correct assumption or do I not understand how the gas expels from the bleed off?
View Quote
All gas piston systems dump gas at the gas block. That means under the rail if the gas block is low profile and positioned under the rail. For example LWRC IC-SPR. I do not think the gas under the rail is a major concern. I think the problem with the rail longer than the barrel set up is you limit your muzzle device to a narrow one. Flaming Pigs etc are out because they would block your access to the adjustment screw on the gas block.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I must say the .625" Melonite clamp on version of these are rock solid. x2. I'm running these on pistol builds in restriction mode only (no cans for now.) One on a 10.5" Faxon pencil build, the other an 11.5" Faxon Gunner build. Both are at 33% gas flow (6 clicks out from fully closed.) I use LW carriers, TACCOM 10% reduced power buffer springs / Spikes ST-T2 tungsten powder buffers in these as well.

Both run flawless even with weak PMC Bronze FMJBT 55g (actually my favorite to shoot.) Not one malfunction in approx 800 rounds between the two. This is an early observation, but thus-far I like these over my SLR adjustable GB's on my carbine builds. The SLR's are a bit of a PITA if you don't throttle the metering screw back to fully closed after each range session. I found this out the hard way.. They still function perfect but are a bit more on the "high maint" aspect.

None the less, the Sup-Arms units are bliss. Plus the fact I'll be able to adjust for cans in the future without much hassle.. Win-win.

Carry on,
Jim
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I am currently running one of these on a LaRue Predator barrel under an Aero Quantum handguard.
It ran fine in restrictive mode and I have been running it primarily in bleed-off. I think it's about 7 clicks past regular open. It was the level where it was fully reliable in bleed off, then dialed back in by two clicks. Shoots great suppressed and not, and doesn't seem to get the barrel /handguards noticeably dirty. I just wipe underneath when I clean the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#47]
One thing to note when using these in restrictive mode only, you will get a bit of "blow out" on the forward facing port hole. I know it's intended for bleed mode, but it still allows a bit of gas to blow forward regardless. No big deal at all.

The one thing that surprises / pleases me is the fact the metering screw DOES NOT get bound up from fouling like the SLR units. This in itself is a "take my money" feature... Plus the fact they're more affordable than most all other offerings.

Carry on

PS - Dr. Bell, thank you so much for taking the time to present in great detail all the features and workings of these units. I really do appreciate that!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#48]
interesting, as I am like 43 clicks past wide open to find a good place to run both loud and suppressed. 12.5" carbine barrel. I can visibly see the gas under the handguard on video, but nothing is noticeable when shooting, including very little gas to the face. I'm still liking this thing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#49]
These must be fairly hot items. They're out of stock in the .750 clamp on at many retailers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't have very good luck with their customer service either. I picked up one for my sbr after reading that it fit with a noveske nsr. After I finally found one in stock and got it in, it was no where close to fitting. I reached out to see about getting a rifle length op rod and new bushing so I could at least use it on my rifle with a larger handguard.

50$ with shipping and 2 weeks later the op rod finally showed up without the bushing and no response from customer service.

The product seems ok but  with them not being able to stock dealers regularly and provide decent service I'm going to stick with the more established manufacturers for now.

The story ore about them and Syrac ,that left all there customers hanging , sounds a little fishy as well.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top