BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
(also guys please stop emailing or messaging me about the braces lol, they’re not finished yet, I’ll post here when they are)
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Making things that dance around the ATF is always risky...
View Quote
It's for this reason that I've been reluctant to do an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
AR pistols I think are relatively safe save any “Assault Pistol” laws, considering they’ve been around for around 30 years, and even then we had things like the OA-98 that still managed to get around those dumb laws. No doubt if anything bad does happen to them federally, as unlikely as that seems, someone will find a way around it, even if it’s obnoxious.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I have the 15 braces printed along with 6 tabs, but I've ran into a pair of problems; acquiring genuine stock latch springs is way too expensive ($6-8 per spring, possibly more with shipping considered) and I haven't found any cheaper alternatives that fit juuuust right, and I really don't... trust the printed pins in general. I've had a few that have come out just perfectly right and work just as well as the standard pins, but the good ones look identical to the bad ones, and I don't want to cause any issues where the pin breaks off in the brace and requires percussive force or destruction to take it off, as happened last time.
I'm trying to investigate possible alternative materials for the pins, but at this point I'm stumped, as they're small parts that have to fit in a small hole and be within a certain width to allow the spring to slide over them, and said spring itself has proven quite elusive. I could just sell the braces and the latches by themselves, but, ehhhhhhhhh, I felt like asking for the end-user to supplement their own spring was a bit much as is.

tldr, wat do
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#5]
In for two braces don't need anything else

(Merry Christmas!)
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll take one as they are.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been following this thread.
It goes without saying that these are amazing!

Red, I don’t know if something like this could help:

http://www.jsesurplus.com/buttstockhardwarekitfora6position.aspx

It includes all the hardware but I don’t know if that’s what you’re looking for.

Keep up the amazing work!
-J
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll also take 2 as they are
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey man, honestly I don’t know why you are wasting time messing with the design or trying to go out of your way to source the hardware. Keep that printer maintained and printing, all anybody needs is the lever and the stock body. Don’t mess with the design too much as they need to be able to latch closed without catching the exposed threads on the buffer tube and tearing your print layers.  The design without the taper looks best and that looks like the one you are going with.

I’ll take two more, make sure you take care of the returning customers first lol.  Honestly keep the printer tuned up and get the list going, you could have a nice side hustle going.  If anything create an instruction sheet to mail with it, Literally a piece of paper with your contact info and operating name and the name of your product.  Think about it, there is a guy in Louisiana that sells the best vinyl acetate repro stock. You’re the retro brace guy now, and you have a backlog of orders.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll take one as they are too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm just trying to make a good product, yknow. It's tough as is waiting with bated breath for the damn things to finish, and the sadness of not being able to get them "pretty". Being able to translate something from a pipedream to CAD to physical and have others enjoy it is something I really haven't been involved with before so this is all very new for me lmao. But I'll try to put together a sorta instruction sheet with these when I start shipping them soon enough. Just gotta get like 9 more tabs printed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Dude, this is awesome!

and I'm still in for one, as they are now!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Alright: I have 8 of the braces + tabs available. My printer is currently on the fritz again and I'm out of filament so it will be a little bit until I get the last 7 tabs printed, but in the meantime, I'll sell these 8 to tide people over.

Price is $40 a piece due to these taking quite a bit longer than the previous braces to print (previous ones were about 7 hours total, these are closer to 9 and a half). Use your own locking pin, nut, and spring.

DO NOT PM ME HERE, EMAIL ME AT [email protected] IF YOU WANT ONE

My pm box is tiny as is and I'd like to be able to converse with people via it without messages not arriving lmao.

I accept payment via paypal and venmo (if you send me payment on paypal as an invoice I will refund it, send it as a simple transfer).

I will mark out each brace as they're reserved and mail them all at once when they've all been reserved.

Braces left: All out!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: Being able to translate something from a pipedream to CAD to physical and have others enjoy it is something I really haven't been involved with before so this is all very new for me lmao.
View Quote
No dog in the fight to purchase one but have been following & want to commend you on what you're doing to keep these kinds of efforts alive.  It is a Truly.Neat.Thing.
Salud, Sir!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#15]
E-mail sent for one brace.

Dave N
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Email sent for one.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I got like 11 emails for 8 braces, lmao. For those who asked for one after I got them all reserved, I’ll add you guys to a list and then inform you when I’ll have the rest available.
As for those who reserved ones, I’ll get them all shipped as soon as possible. I’m quite overwhelmed by the emails in my inbox due to this lmao.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got like 11 emails for 8 braces, lmao. For those who asked for one after I got them all reserved, I’ll add you guys to a list and then inform you when I’ll have the rest available.
As for those who reserved ones, I’ll get them all shipped as soon as possible. I’m quite overwhelmed by the emails in my inbox due to this lmao.
View Quote
I think I was number 9!??
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Welllllll crap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Please put me on a list for two
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m also in for one. Should I send an email as well?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#22]
In for one on the next batch.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Put me down for one too!
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm interested in one too.  I'd like to be on the wait list, if there's one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
E-mail sent on 2.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Just wanted to give you kudos because this is an awesome project that I can relate to!

I built my Prusa i3 MK3s last month and I can honestly say 3D printing is probably the most entertaining hobby I've ever been involved in.  Between designing things and then printing them, the options are endless.  Using mostly PETG now since it's quite versatile and my Prusa seems to love it, but my enclosure is almost finished so I'll be doing some ABS soon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#27]
For all the stupid problems it has, I really love my Prusa MK3 as well. It’s infinitely gratifying to create something in CAD and then a few hours later have it in your hand. I just need to get better at CAD stuff before I start printing some REALLY weird experimental stuff :p
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]
It works pretty well!
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#29]
In for one when you get another batch done. Email sent
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Got mine the other day.  Order a stock pin and nut from KAK.  Used the mag catch spring from an AR15 LPK.  Works great.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#32]
People should have started receiving their braces for a few days now. I hope those who’ve already received them find them to their liking.
As for those who are part of the second batch of 7, I’m getting yours out to mail today, so you’ll all have them by at most Thursday.
I wait with bated breath to see all the impressive builds people put these braces on, to see my design flourishing genuinely warms my heart, which is something I desperately need these days due to an absurd and unfair streak of family tragedies.
So, thank you all who’ve ordered them and already received them/have yours in transit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks great
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#34]
You should do an M4 "waffle" style stock ;)

Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I sanded down all the pieces last night, finished with a 320 grit. I'll start layering paint on this weekend, using a rustoleum 2-in-1 primer+paint. I'll probably finish with a matte black alumahyde 2 paint from Brownells, this stuff is pretty tough once it cures.

I feel bad asking this, but where does the little roll pin from the stock parts kit go? I don't have an assembled one on hand to compare. I see the hole through the nut, but...that doesn't look right.

Looking good!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I sanded down all the pieces last night, finished with a 320 grit. I'll start layering paint on this weekend, using a rustoleum 2-in-1 primer+paint. I'll probably finish with a matte black alumahyde 2 paint from Brownells, this stuff is pretty tough once it cures.

I feel bad asking this, but where does the little roll pin from the stock parts kit go? I don't have an assembled one on hand to compare. I see the hole through the nut, but...that doesn't look right.

Looking good!
View Quote
Your right.

Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking good!
Your right.

https://cdn-us-ec.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.10a/userdocs/schematics/colt-slidingbuttstock.gif?yocs=p_
Thank you! Everything I searched came up how to thread the buffer tube to the receiver and a bunch of stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Primed (first layer pictured, ended up doing about 5-6 layers with sanding in between). Went with more primer to fill in the print lines since I didn't want to sand too much of the original material off.

After coating it in flat black, camo colors went on.

Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Sanded and have 3 coats of spray primer+paint. At this rate another 3-4, then I plan to rough it with a scotchbrite pad and do a final coat of Alumahyde II. Here's current state,hopefully I can finish tomorrow. Figure I'll do one black and one FDE. That camo above looks good though.

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
Primed (first layer pictured, ended up doing about 5-6 layers with sanding in between). Went with more primer to fill in the print lines since I didn't want to sand too much of the original material off.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49406070151_7860700c5d_b.jpg

After coating it in flat black, camo colors went on.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49406265822_c2417e7f4d_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49406069981_6178617492_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49405588378_9784283f32_b.jpg
View Quote

Man, that looks great. Nice job. Maybe I should have spent a little more time sanding, not sure yet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#41]
So I got 5 coats of that primer+paint, then did 3 coats of alumahyde.

I tried to get a picture this morning but lighting was horrible. I'll get some better lighting and post a couple pics later, maybe after I get them assembled I guess. Alumahyde is supposed to cure for at least a week, and it's tough not to mess with the parts for that long.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I am in for one email me when you are ready to ship the next batch.

Thanks Bigjim.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Aaand that’s a wrap, folks. The last of the 15 braces has been purchased, and my Prusa is currently out for some lengthy repairs. I’m elated at the responses I got for my silly little pieces of plastic, and maybe in a little while I’ll have a new set of braces complete. Until then, I hope those who’ve gotten theirs and those who are about to get theirs as soon as they ship are enjoying them. Thank you all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Just put together after the painting last weekend, they look good. Hopefully I'll get out this weekend to shoot a little bit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Aaand that's a wrap, folks. The last of the 15 braces has been purchased, and my Prusa is currently out for some lengthy repairs. I'm elated at the responses I got for my silly little pieces of plastic, and maybe in a little while I'll have a new set of braces complete. Until then, I hope those who've gotten theirs and those who are about to get theirs as soon as they ship are enjoying them. Thank you all.
View Quote
Any chance of you offering them through a 3rd party like Shapeways? GeePlate ran most of their new designs through them. Or would the cost become prohibitive?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I used plasti dip spray, 3 coats.

Has a nice feel to it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Any chance of you offering them through a 3rd party like Shapeways? GeePlate ran most of their new designs through them. Or would the cost become prohibitive?
View Quote
I’ve considered shapeways, but as you said, I don’t want them to be cost prohibitive. I’ll look into it further, though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:52:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Tag

CD
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:09:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I used plasti dip spray, 3 coats.

Has a nice feel to it.

https://i.imgur.com/AgVftcwh.jpg
View Quote
Very nice, probably the only brace that isn't an eyesore.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m down for 2 in your next batch. Sending email.
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top