Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone tried this on retro stocks?  I like mine as is for the moment - but was curious if this would make it look more original gloss black rubber coating - If applied in multiple coats

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71TUpiP7chL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
That stuff is matte black no matter how many coats you do.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d like to be added to the list.  PM with my contact inbound...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried this on retro stocks?  I like mine as is for the moment - but was curious if this would make it look more original gloss black rubber coating - If applied in multiple coats

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71TUpiP7chL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
Unless this product has been drastically improved in the past few years, this stuff is a waste of money.
I tried this out once about 5 years ago, and even after it set up completely, (two days), it could be scraped it off by fingernail.
Again .... this was several years ago .... so YMMV, but you may be better off with something as simple as Krylon paint.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the first set and I love the look. Any place I can by the stock adjuster parts or a cheap donor stock? I don’t want to take apart my old colt stock.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Add me to the list for next batch.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Add me to the list for next batch.
View Quote
I'm in for one! When things start moving on the next batch please let us know
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
paint update:

I'm on my 10th coat right now after wet sanding with 600 grit after five.  So far the lines have all but disappeared, still have a lot to go.  I used Krylon semi gloss and it ended up too glossy, might end up switching to matte black for the final couple coats.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
paint update:

I'm on my 10th coat right now after wet sanding with 600 grit after five.  So far the lines have all but disappeared, still have a lot to go.  I used Krylon semi gloss and it ended up too glossy, might end up switching to matte black for the final couple coats.
View Quote
Awaiting pics
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Awaiting pics
View Quote
Here are pics of the latest coat, still need to do a lot of cleanup work but should look good when completed.

Picture 1

Picture 2
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Here are pics of the latest coat, still need to do a lot of cleanup work but should look good when completed.

Picture 1

Picture 2
View Quote
Absolutely lovely work, I wish I had the space to do my own spray paint testing but I think just having them unpainted allows more end-user customization.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Picture 1

Picture 2
View Quote
ahhhh a beauty. I just knew you'd do it nicely. I knew it: bravo!
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I’d be in for one out of the next batch if you’re still going forward with that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd be in for one out of the next batch if you're still going forward with that.
View Quote
Same here. This is great!
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#14]
There will absolutely be a next batch, but it will be a little while. I have college finals and my printer is on the fritz, along with some small design tweaking (the second version didn’t pan out, at least for now). My hope, still, is to have some ready come January, hopefully with springs this time!
But I ain’t making any promises, although I do wish I could. Still, it genuinely warms my heart to see the reception this little accessory has gotten.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Wish I had gotten in on Tue first run but definitely in for the next batch. Sent a PM, but don't want to clog your in box until things are ready.

Good luck on the finals.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Red, I am in for one as well - the one I destroyed, I need my third one!
I may be in for more depending also on your advancements on your next batch.

Listen, I tell you again: you're definitely onto something here. Something that the market doesn't have and didn't think of - for whatever reason.

You got it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I made one of these years ago, please excuse the paint and dust lol.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There will absolutely be a next batch, but it will be a little while. I have college finals and my printer is on the fritz, along with some small design tweaking (the second version didn't pan out, at least for now). My hope, still, is to have some ready come January, hopefully with springs this time!
But I ain't making any promises, although I do wish I could. Still, it genuinely warms my heart to see the reception this little accessory has gotten.
View Quote
I'm interested in the next run too. If you set anything up and want to @ us that'd be cool, or I can drop you an IM. Or I'll just keep watching this thread.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quick update, last week I hit the braces with a coat of paint and the humidity in my basement caused it to run which really screwed up the process.  I was finally able to find some time today to hand sand them and hit them with another coat, took me about three hours total.  Lesson learned, always build up light coats!

brace #1

brace #2
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quick update, last week I hit the braces with a coat of paint and the humidity in my basement caused it to run which really screwed up the process.  I was finally able to find some time today to hand sand them and hit them with another coat, took me about three hours total.  Lesson learned, always build up light coats!

brace #1

brace #2
View Quote
Absolutely stunning, master.

Stunning I tell you!
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

brace #1

brace #2
View Quote
That looks great to me
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#24]
thanks men, i still have to clean up around the lever area and hit it with about five more coats then they should be g2g
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Got a new to me optic (bought used, Browe 4x32) and wondered how it looked on my other pistol - Mk18 Mod 0 (ish)

Keeping the thread updated is keeping it alive

Colt Mk18 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 3:46:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag. In for future batch.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got a new to me optic (bought used, Browe 4x32) and wondered how it looked on my other pistol - Mk18 Mod 0 (ish)

Keeping the thread updated is keeping it alive

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49196307102_7a044b3049_h.jpgColt Mk18 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
Beautiful
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm finally done: painted the braces, added colt 6 hole handguards, two position buffer tubes, and colt A2 grips.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm finally done: painted the braces, added colt 6 hole handguards, two position buffer tubes, and colt A2 grips.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3
View Quote
Really, really well done. Impressive I have to say. From here, I can't tell what it is
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#30]
*cough*
My printer may barely work, but that’s never stopped me before.
I’ve finalized the design of the ‘NAS2’ and although for the time being my original modular design isn’t really doable (the concept was to have the buttplate and sling loop be a one piece “spine” printed with more infill for stability that the tube attached to via friction so I could make N23 tubes and 3rd gen tubes or multi-color combos), I decided instead to do some minor tweaking here and there. I simply wish my printer didn’t try to break itself every other day though

2 pre-production prototypes vs one of the previous design.

From oldest to newest.

I do regret not being able to make these things prettier from the printer, but I do know many of y’all are quite handy with spray paint judging by some of the pictures posted over the last few weeks (incredible work btw), but I think I’ll be able to make my self-set deadline of having at least another 15 ready sometime in January.
Until then, I’ll keep tweakin’!
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3
View Quote
Pretty!
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
*cough*
My printer may barely work, but that's never stopped me before.
I've finalized the design of the 'NAS2' and although for the time being my original modular design isn't really doable (the concept was to have the buttplate and sling loop be a one piece "spine" printed with more infill for stability that the tube attached to via friction so I could make N23 tubes and 3rd gen tubes or multi-color combos), I decided instead to do some minor tweaking here and there. I simply wish my printer didn't try to break itself every other day though
https://i.imgur.com/BIHduQJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/15rayMs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0POgTVr.jpg
From oldest to newest.

I do regret not being able to make these things prettier from the printer, but I do know many of y'all are quite handy with spray paint judging by some of the pictures posted over the last few weeks (incredible work btw), but I think I'll be able to make my self-set deadline of having at least another 15 ready sometime in January.
Until then, I'll keep tweakin'!
View Quote
Looks good!
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
*cough*
I’ve finalized the design of the ‘NAS2’ and although for the time being my original modular design isn’t really doable (the concept was to have the buttplate and sling loop be a one piece “spine” printed with more infill for stability that the tube attached to via friction so I could make N23 tubes and 3rd gen tubes or multi-color combos), I decided instead to do some minor tweaking here and there. I simply wish my printer didn’t try to break itself every other day though
From oldest to newest.

I do regret not being able to make these things prettier from the printer, but I do know many of y’all are quite handy with spray paint judging by some of the pictures posted over the last few weeks (incredible work btw), but I think I’ll be able to make my self-set deadline of having at least another 15 ready sometime in January.
View Quote
Oustanding
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#34]
In for TWO, please.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
*cough*
From oldest to newest.

View Quote
How many are already spoken for?

I guessing I'll "need"one or two if there's any left. ??
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Add me to the list please, im piecing together a 12.5in Delta sniper reproduction from black hawk down and this stock would be perfect for me. Using a shockwave 2.0 right now and i cant stand the look.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Right now I don’t have a proper “list” made yet as I’m trying to get my printer in as good a shape I can, I’ve got about 8 good prints and am working on the 9th right now. These take quite a while to print.

Once I have the 15 done I’ll @ everyone who wanted one and then I’ll see what we can do from there.
I plan to mail these all in one big batch instead of going off and mailing each one separately like I did before lmao, that got very tedious and I’d like everyone to get their braces all at once.
My goal right now is to try and find some springs that can be used for the locking pin. If anyone can help me with that (maybe point me in the direction of where I can buy a bunch of similar springs so I can ship these out assembled) I’d heavily appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#38]
In for two, if available.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#39]
In for one please. PM incoming.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#40]
For springs and latches, check specialized armament.com.  IIRC I saw some there when I got my last side sling swivel.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#41]
The 15th brace is printing right now. I’m likely going to order the springs from specialized armament, although 15 of them is $60 (owch), but I’ll keep looking for cheaper alternatives in the meantime.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#42]
What constitutes a pistol vs what's considered a short barreled rifle?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s my understanding, it’s what constitutes a stock.  In my opinion, the 1934 gun act is so outdated it’s not even funny. Technology has by passed it about like a rubber tire compared to a wooden wheel. But nobody with any power understands this.  The firearms that it regulated then are almost C&R compared to modern guns and accessories.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:57:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a Menusar clone with a KAK brace absolutely screaming for one of these.  Created an account just to get in line for one.  Please let me know payment details when available, and thank you for your time and creativity!
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rifles have to have a barrel longer than 16 inches, or be registered as a Short Barreled Rifle per the NFA
Pistols cannot have a stock as that would make it a rifle, but adding a stabilizing brace to a pistol is OK.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Red: as you can see, the consensus on these is quite enthusiastic.
I am convinced, like you, that there is a market of some size for this type of brace; I'd advise you to get in touch with popular makers of braces being willing to sell your design.

It's now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Red: as you can see, the consensus on these is quite enthusiastic.
I am convinced, like you, that there is a market of some size for this type of brace; I'd advise you to get in touch with popular makers of braces being willing to sell your design.

It's now.
View Quote
This ^
You are idea rich and time poor. Sell the rights, make sure you get some cash upfront and future royalties from sales and you will have mailbox money for the rest of the products life.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I think the problem is that businesses don't want to make a brace that looks (and basically functions) exactly like a stock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think the problem is that businesses don't want to make a brace that looks (and basically functions) exactly like a stock.
View Quote
There are already at least two braces that have the looks AND the function of stocks; SB (as a brand) comes to mind (using rifle buffer tubes and sliding braces on them).

I wouldn't think at this point that just another look-alike with the same function as those braces out there would endanger anything further.

Additionally, the retro market is smaller than the typical, modern AR Pistol market.

We could naturally be all surprised in the future by the ATF - undeniably - but as it stands today, the McCloud brace is just the umpteenth brace out there
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Making things that dance around the ATF is always risky, as the recent Reformation and Origin messes have shown, but this isn’t some mass-market item and I’m simply emulating what’s already on the market. The Flux Defense PDW kits have an SBR and a brace version, and the only difference between the two is that the brace version’s “buttplate” doesn’t have texturing and instead has ‘Not A Stock’ emblazoned on it. Mine is similar in concept. It’s not identical to a 2nd gen sliding stock, the dimensions are by my estimates about 80% close, but I intend this as a brace, I’ve had ‘NOT A STOCK’ embedded in the side, and it doesn’t have a buttpad. Therefore, as a brace is a brace due to manufacturer’s intent, it is a brace and will be one until the ATF does something stupid with their opinion letters again.
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top