Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks great on my sorta retro franken-pistol

https://i.ibb.co/N69Kw2Q/20191103-121418.jpg
View Quote
It completely nails the look.

That's exactly what I had been waiting for, for a long time.
ETA to the guys who got and installed theirs already, how do you assemble the spring-thing?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell I like this project! I'd definitely be down for one of these next run you do!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hell I like this project! I'd definitely be down for one of these next run you do!
View Quote
Same.  Count me in for your next run.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What changes do you have in mind?
View Quote
Possibly thinking of printing these in multiple parts (butt and top loop, lower fin and locking pin channel, tube) and have them all interlink via dovetails before being glued together. That would allow me to simply print a bunch of parts separately (and with varying amounts of infill!) without dealing with much support material, which could possibly be quite a bit faster overall.
The other thing is maybe creating a 3rd gen lookalike, but that’s less of a priority.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Aaaand that’s a wrap, folks. The 15th and final brace has been shipped. I hope y’all who get them post pictures to this thread, I love seeing the varied builds they’re put on. Hopefully by the beginning of next year I’ll have another batch to see, and this time I’ll make sure to stock enough envelopes in advance
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It completely nails the look.

That's exactly what I had been waiting for, for a long time.
ETA to the guys who got and installed theirs already, how do you assemble the spring-thing?
View Quote
It comes with a 3d printed #4, #5, but I used the complete metal assembly off and old comercial Stag stock I had laying around.

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah the spring is unobtainium and the stock locking pin and nut are incredibly pricey, so I printed the nut and pin and you have to take the spring out of a spare stock to use or find an alternative spring (I couldn’t find a spring that fit that wasn’t way too powerful).
Seriously wish there was an easy alternative but ¯\_(?)_/¯, maybe I’ll find one by the time I do a second run.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It comes with a 3d printed #4, #5, but I used the complete metal assembly off and old comercial Stag stock I had laying around.

https://cdn-us-ec.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.10a/userdocs/schematics/colt-slidingbuttstock.gif?yocs=p_
View Quote
Awesome I appreciate you.
I can get ready for when I get 'em here
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for letting us know, this will give time for a lot more people to get interested in this I believe.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a list going, and put me on it for one!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Well i see i dicked around and missed the boat on these things, keep us updated on the next batch!
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#14]
that is what I get for waiting.  If you are keeping a list.  I definitely am in for at least one.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah the spring is unobtainium and the stock locking pin and nut are incredibly pricey, so I printed the nut and pin and you have to take the spring out of a spare stock to use or find an alternative spring (I couldn’t find a spring that fit that wasn’t way too powerful).
Seriously wish there was an easy alternative but ¯\_(?)_/¯, maybe I’ll find one by the time I do a second run.
View Quote
I was able to use some inexpensive compression springs - they were at my Lowes.  They came in a pack of 5 springs for like under $3.  I couldn't find it on the Lowes website - but in the hardware and screws isle.

Hillman brand 5/16 x 1-1/2 x.020"  These worked fine for me - maybe a little less strong than the real deal.

For the pin, I have a roll pin kit always on hand - Harbor freight has an assortment box for under $10 - I chose a pin diameter that fit and cut to length with a dremel cut off wheel.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Definitely like to be added to the list for the next batch!
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Really great setup Red!  Thank you!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Brownells has them in stock, but they are pricey for a single spring, I'm sure you could find something similar in bulk from McMaster-Carr, Granger, Black-Hawk or one of the large parts houses.

Spring

Other bits, but out of stock.

Lock Pin Nut
Lock Release Lever Pin
Lock Nut Pin
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I am definitely interested in the next batch. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got mine yesterday, not a "retro" but I put it on my MK18 Mod 0 clone, looks and feels great. Will definitely get another when I get to my xm177 build.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49029368727_d4c225c132_o.jpg
View Quote
Great looking clone! What is the optic?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Great looking clone! What is the optic?
View Quote
That's a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot, I bought a few of them last year when they were blowing out old stock for half off. I also have a Aimpoint Comp M2 that lives on this gun sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Look great.  Count me in for the next round please.  I have a couple of retros currently wearing blades.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Put me in for the next batch too. I'm about ready to start the build I'd be putting this on (733ish clone) but I'll hold off until the next round.

These look phenomenal!
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Well here I am with my humble contributions. I am sure our fellow ARFcommers will appreciate these as well;

Pictures first, then my comments.

McCloud Brace 733A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

McCloud Brace 733A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

McCloud Brace 733A1 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

I didn't touch anything in the sense that I haven't painted it. I did, however, add a real stock lever and post to the one you see in the picture.
I had originally bought two (then a third one, incoming) but the second one got disintegrated when the plastic post broke while simply playing with the stock itself (moving the stock back and forth).

So the caveat is, despite the great Red doing all he could, do NOT use the post that comes with it. It's too fragile - and it shouldn't be surprising. You MUST use a metal post, either purchasing one or stealing it from a compatible stock. The lever I also replaced; it's sturdier.

Red will (or not) possibly come up with something in the future about this; in the meantime what I suggest you do is to not use the post that comes with it, as it might break.

Now if it breaks, it may get stuck (as it did with mine) and I had to destroy the brace to pull it back out (not that I wanted to destroy it, it just happened in the process of trying to pull it). I knew this may happen and that's why I got a third one - no complaints here: for what these are (brilliant in look and design and they work as intended), 3D printed pieces of plastic, it's a miracle. I had been wanting to 'upgrade' the look of these two semi-clones of 733s for a long time and only now I could really do it in a way I can assess as 'decent'.

Baci,
SD
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Just received my braces this afternoon, I am extremely happy with the way they turned out!  I used donor latches from extra stocks I had lying around and they worked out great.  The braces were extremely tight on commercial buffer tubes and somewhat loose on a mil spec tube.  The real test is going to be seeing how they hold up to being used, I've got binary triggers on these babies and they kick like a mule.

Does anybody have a range report yet?  If they can take a 9mm blowback they can take 5.56.  I'm definitely going to pick up a few more during the next round!

image 1
image 2
image 3
image 4
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#26]
You have great taste in AR pistols Solodallas lol you beat me by a few minutes.

That shiny A2 grip on the A2 733, whats the story on those?  I've got one and for the life of me I cannot identify it to get another one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You have great taste in AR pistols Solodallas lol you beat me by a few minutes.

That shiny A2 grip on the A2 733, whats the story on those?  I've got one and for the life of me I cannot identify it to get another one.
View Quote
So do you, brother of mine (and thank you).

The shiny: those are the early ones! The early military Colt ones. Super rare. I love them so much

(ETA: look inside, it'll have a circled 1 - that's the early Colts. Supposedly, at least some of those early Colts have a shinier finish; probably from the very early times around 1985)
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice, I've got one!  Now I just need to find a second...

Can't wait to hear a range report on these braces, I am super happy with the way they came out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well here I am with my humble contributions. I am sure our fellow ARFcommers will appreciate these as well;

Pictures first, then my comments.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49039688221_a048f5126f_h.jpgMcCloud Brace 733A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49039688446_0492c431ce_h.jpgMcCloud Brace 733A2 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49039183618_ebfbd4c7da_h.jpgMcCloud Brace 733A1 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

I didn't touch anything in the sense that I haven't painted it. I did, however, add a real stock lever and post to the one you see in the picture.
I had originally bought two (then a third one, incoming) but the second one got disintegrated when the plastic post broke while simply playing with the stock itself (moving the stock back and forth).

So the caveat is, despite the great Red doing all he could, do NOT use the post that comes with it. It's too fragile - and it shouldn't be surprising. You MUST use a metal post, either purchasing one or stealing it from a compatible stock. The lever I also replaced; it's sturdier.

Red will (or not) possibly come up with something in the future about this; in the meantime what I suggest you do is to not use the post that comes with it, as it might break.

Now if it breaks, it may get stuck (as it did with mine) and I had to destroy the brace to pull it back out (not that I wanted to destroy it, it just happened in the process of trying to pull it). I knew this may happen and that's why I got a third one - no complaints here: for what these are (brilliant in look and design and they work as intended), 3D printed pieces of plastic, it's a miracle. I had been wanting to 'upgrade' the look of these two semi-clones of 733s for a long time and only now I could really do it in a way I can assess as 'decent'.

Baci,
SD
View Quote
Yeah the printed lock pin and nut were basically emergency measures as I had no real source for them that wasn’t asking for $5 dollars a piece. Some of my first prototypes worked great under light handling (I hope people aren’t trying to mortar these things into the ground, they’re braces, not aluminum stocks) but for some reason I noticed my last batch wasn’t working so great (unfortunately only noticing after I had finished shipping them out), so I’m playing with the tolerances a bit.
I’m surprised you managed to destroy one of the braces themselves just trying to get the pin out, as whenever I had my earlier pin prototypes break I’d have to finagle with it but the brace wouldn’t suffer any real damage, can you post pictures of the destroyed brace so I can see what happened?
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah the printed lock pin and nut were basically emergency measures as I had no real source for them that wasn't asking for $5 dollars a piece. Some of my first prototypes worked great under light handling (I hope people aren't trying to mortar these things into the ground, they're braces, not aluminum stocks) but for some reason I noticed my last batch wasn't working so great (unfortunately only noticing after I had finished shipping them out), so I'm playing with the tolerances a bit.
I'm surprised you managed to destroy one of the braces themselves just trying to get the pin out, as whenever I had my earlier pin prototypes break I'd have to finagle with it but the brace wouldn't suffer any real damage, can you post pictures of the destroyed brace so I can see what happened?
View Quote
I will post pictures (but I don't regret anything - not disappointed).
The only way to push out the brace was with a soft mallet - it was truly stuck badly. I tried pushing it back and forth for a while but that didn't seem to suffice moving the broken thing inside - it still remained stuck in there.

So I used a mallet and, inevitably, the front part of the brace (where I was hitting) came undone - it separated from the rest of the body at the (I believe) glued joint.

Again, it didn't just come undone pushing: I had to use a mallet. Which is why I am not concerned about the hardness of it.

All good - waiting on my third one so I can have both clones up there dressed at the same time!
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I will post pictures (but I don't regret anything - not disappointed).
The only way to push out the brace was with a soft mallet - it was truly stuck badly. I tried pushing it back and forth for a while but that didn't seem to suffice moving the broken thing inside - it still remained stuck in there.

So I used a mallet and, inevitably, the front part of the brace (where I was hitting) came undone - it separated from the rest of the body at the (I believe) glued joint.

Again, it didn't just come undone pushing: I had to use a mallet. Which is why I am not concerned about the hardness of it.

All good - waiting on my third one so I can have both clones up there dressed at the same time!
View Quote
Hmmm... I’m still disappointed in my own work nonetheless, I just printed a few more lock pin nuts and played around with them and figured out the current size was stripping threads, but when I bumped it down 2.5% it fit snuggly and the only way to break it would be to pull REALLY hard on it. Hopefully I’ll be able to get springs for the next batch that are weaker than the norm, to dissuade any accidental snapping due to trying to get the brace off.
Also, it’s a one-piece deal, all printed together for strength, so I’m curious as to see your pictures of the breakage. But again, damn, I’m surprised the first person to destroy one via any sort of defect wasn’t me
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just received my braces this afternoon, I am extremely happy with the way they turned out!  I used donor latches from extra stocks I had lying around and they worked out great.  The braces were extremely tight on commercial buffer tubes and somewhat loose on a mil spec tube.  The real test is going to be seeing how they hold up to being used, I've got binary triggers on these babies and they kick like a mule.

Does anybody have a range report yet?  If they can take a 9mm blowback they can take 5.56.  I'm definitely going to pick up a few more during the next round!

image 1
image 2
image 3
image 4
View Quote
Your links are broken
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#33]
fixed, let me know when you are making another batch.  Did you acetone bath these or the lever by any chance, trying to decide if I should do it before paint.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
fixed, let me know when you are making another batch.  Did you acetone bath these or the lever by any chance, trying to decide if I should do it before paint.
View Quote
I left these completely untouched outside of minor clean up so the end user could freely paint them (they’re PLA+ so all painting methods for PLA apply).
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But again, damn, I'm surprised the first person to destroy one via any sort of defect wasn't me
View Quote
Wife has thrown it away already, darn can't take pictures bro: sorry.

Anyway: I hit exactly on the shorter side of the lever-blade (vertical blade that connects to the cylinder) thing and it crashed right there, bringing with itself the upper cylinder right about in that area.

Don't blame yourself!
You dindu nuffin wrong ;)
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I took my DOE 9mm clone out shooting, the brace held up with no issues.
Let me know when you produce more!

Thanks Again,
Dave
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Add me to th list for the next batch. Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I took my DOE 9mm clone out shooting, the brace held up with no issues.
Let me know when you produce more!

Thanks Again,
Dave
View Quote
Thanks for the report, I’m in the process of painting mine and hope to get to the range in the next few weeks to try out the braces on 5.56 builds.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks for the report, I'm in the process of painting mine and hope to get to the range in the next few weeks to try out the braces on 5.56 builds.
View Quote
How are you going to paint? I mean, would you like to share the process, bro? Would love to do the same - though simple black but matte black, to cover the PLA print lines and make it dull as opposed to slightly glossy as it naturally comes out post-print.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Has anyone tried this on retro stocks?  I like mine as is for the moment - but was curious if this would make it look more original gloss black rubber coating - If applied in multiple coats

Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How are you going to paint? I mean, would you like to share the process, bro? Would love to do the same - though simple black but matte black, to cover the PLA print lines and make it dull as opposed to slightly glossy as it naturally comes out post-print.
View Quote
My plan is this:

1.light coats of flat black util the print lines almost disappear

2.Wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper, then hit with another round of paint

3.Wet sand with 1000 grit sandpaper then hit with another round of paint

4.Let it cure for about a week
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My plan is this:

1.light coats of flat black util the print lines almost disappear

2.Wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper, then hit with another round of paint

3.Wet sand with 1000 grit sandpaper then hit with another round of paint

4.Let it cure for about a week
View Quote
Brilliance. I hadn't even thought remotely of doing it this accurately
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#43]
My second brace on a DDMk18

DDMk18 McCloud Brace by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#44]
These things look great and I can't believe nobody else has thought to do this.

I'd love one.  I have a C7 upper ready to go.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Posting to get in line, I'm trying to get an xm177e1 clone made and this would be a great way to do it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
These things look great and I can't believe nobody else has thought to do this.

I'd love one.  I have a C7 upper ready to go.
View Quote
That's exactly, I mean precisely and accurately what I think.

See, if there is ONE brace that truly is, could be a brace with all the designs out there (especially the KAK which was certified by ATF and the first to legitimately come out) well then it's this.

A simple, classic design that will never tire you or your eyes; and it works for the intended purposes as well.
Were I a company in the industry I would jump on McCloud like, now.

(I am in the music industry, electronics)
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#47]
My hope is that I could at least license the design to Brownells, but I have not even remotely a clue on how to start the process of doing that. If I could’ve got these things injection-molded or possibly even made of that foam a lot of SB Tactical braces are made of, I’d be good, but as for now, more tinkering might be needed, along with more paint testing!
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My hope is that I could at least license the design to Brownells, but I have not even remotely a clue on how to start the process of doing that. If I could've got these things injection-molded or possibly even made of that foam a lot of SB Tactical braces are made of, I'd be good, but as for now, more tinkering might be needed, along with more paint testing!
View Quote
I will keep on buying your designs.

For the record, I own almost every single brace made so far.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Please add me to the list for two!  These look outstanding.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ll take two add me to the list.
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top