Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn't use a slip ring assembly, true.  The barrel nut on the BRN-10 is a standard DPMS barrel nut, that is compatible with a slip ring assembly and drop-in hand guards.  
For a Sudanese hand guard to work, a new barrel nut would be required.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Sudanese hand guards do not use a barrel nut.  With the barrel nut removed, what else would preclude their use on a BRN-10?
It doesn't use a slip ring assembly, true.  The barrel nut on the BRN-10 is a standard DPMS barrel nut, that is compatible with a slip ring assembly and drop-in hand guards.  
For a Sudanese hand guard to work, a new barrel nut would be required.
This is the retro forum , barrel  nuts can be made

Really , good job brownells, this is the coolest most exciting firearm to come out since steyr came back with the aug again in the states , at least to me it is.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
In the words of Paris Hilton,"That`s hot!"
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
That is truly a thing of BEAUTY!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We hope to expand to more variants and offerings later in the year.
View Quote
This addiction could get expensive.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, hand guards will be available separately.

At launch it will just be these two models.  We hope to expand to more variants and offerings later in the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Brownells

Will you be offering the black and borwn BRN-10 furniture sets as a separate item available for purchase?   How about the barrels?

I like the brown furniture gun except for the heavy barrel....might pick up the black BRN-10 and swap out the furniture to get a brown gun with the lighter barrel (or if you offered that as a model I would be *really* happy!  )

Sven
Manticore arms
Yes, hand guards will be available separately.

At launch it will just be these two models.  We hope to expand to more variants and offerings later in the year.
What kinds of variants?  Any chance for a Portuguese model (to include the complete muzzle device, adjustable gas system, and forward assist charging handle)?  Scope mount compatible versions (either Sudanese or Portuguese style)?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, yeah, patience... How long does that take?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Stay tuned!  The members of this forum should be happy with what we have in the works.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Stay tuned!  The members of this forum should be happy with what we have in the works.
View Quote
Now, you are just teasing us even more . . . . . Some of us can't even wait for the models we have on back order, and now we will have to plan on ordering other models
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  Stay tuned!  The members of this forum should be happy with what we have in the works.
View Quote
I'm hoping you get enough ROI to continue this project.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I want the BRN-10B with the brown furniture (or the BRN10A with the lightweight barrel).  There must be some way to remedy this!
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want the BRN-10B with the brown furniture (or the BRN10A with the lightweight barrel).  There must be some way to remedy this!
View Quote
I ordered one of each to use the best parts to build my retro rifle, and the other parts to build my shooter
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I want the exact same thing-  BRN-10 with lightweight barrel and brown furniture!   Call it the BRN-10C for all I care, as long as I can get it!  ;)

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
That's what I want too.

(That's what everyone wants...)
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I want the exact same thing-  BRN-10 with lightweight barrel and brown furniture!   Call it the BRN-10C for all I care, as long as I can get it!  ;)

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Ditto
Skinny and brown, please

Really excited about this
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Are there any close ups of finalized lower markings?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#25]
To be honest, I don't think anyone wants the heavy fluted barrel.  Surprised that is even an option.  No one likes an HBAR on a KISS gun, it's not the 1990's anymore!

I also wish they were offered with a chromed line barrel / chamber vs nitrided.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
To be honest, I don't think anyone wants the heavy fluted barrel.  Surprised that is even an option.  No one likes an HBAR on a KISS gun, it's not the 1990's anymore!

View Quote
I prefer nitrided.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, you can't say no one... I like the idea of the fluted barrel, partly because it's still only 9 pounds (I grew up on 'heavy' rifles, M1s, M-14s, Mausers, etc.,  to me they were just normal rifles) and partly because some of the very early originals had fluted barrels. The one thing that bugs me about the Faxon barrel is that the fluting looks like it could be more aggressive, based on the one or to pictures I found of originals. The rifle will be a joint-custody type deal with my dad (as most of ours are, makes for one giant collection ) and he likes the lighter barrel. I think we both liked the brown furniture, so the answer was obvious. Get a rifle in brown and build a separate upper with one of the skinny barrels they made available after the front sight change (he's not as big a stickler for correctness as I am, and even I like the idea of a bayonet lug). It's all a matter of patience, waiting for Brownells to make the parts available as production gets rolling. In all honesty though, orphan uppers tend to turn into full rifles eventually.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wanted the heavy barrel, so honestly you may have overestimated everyone's desire.  I'm new to nitrided chamber/barrel treatment.  Think I would prefer chrome for durability, but if the nitrided barrel is more accurate, I'll probably get over it.  Isn't nitride supposed to preserve barrels accuracy better vs chrome
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Is there a pic of the fluting?
Mine will be a wallhanger, so weight is not a concern as much as appearance.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I believe if you go to Brownell's website and search for "BRN-10 20" fluted barrel" they do have pictures of the earlier barrels with the standard AR-15 front sight base. You do have to be sure to click on the thumbnail of the fluted barrel to get the right set of pictures, but they are there. From what I can see, it looks a bit shallow, but until I see the finished product in person, I can't be 100% sure.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ditto
Skinny and brown, please

Really excited about this
View Quote
Same here... that would be ideal for me.
If not, I would just get the black version.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@Brownells

Let the powers that be know that there are quite a few guys here (see several posts above that mention it) that would like a model with the lightweight barrel of the BRN-10B and the brown furniture of the BRN-10A.   There doesn't seem to be much preference on muzzle device.   call it the BRN-10B-Brown or the BRN-10C or whatever and please make it happen!  :)

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
That's exactly what my friend who's in the pre-order queue wants as well; except he prefers the closed muzzle device over the 3-prong.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#35]
A beautiful job, guys.  Beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#36]
We want EXACT Retro....

Hey, could you swap this around and put this thing over there...

And could you add a bottle opener like the Israelis did...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No, you want exact retro.  These are not exact, they are a very good "homage" to the original, but by no means an exact copy.

...and regardless of what you want, several of us want brown furniture and a lightweight barrel and will be perfectly happy to spend our hard earned money on that configuration.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Good lord, man, I hang out here to learn the origins of the platform.  Actually spending the kind of money you folks do on getting every dot and tittle right I'd have to give up hopes of the boy going to college.  Just commenting on the duality going on here, and the risk Brownell's is taking.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No, you want exact retro.  These are not exact, they are a very good "homage" to the original, but by no means an exact copy.

...and regardless of what you want, several of us want brown furniture and a lightweight barrel and will be perfectly happy to spend our hard earned money on that configuration.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We want EXACT Retro....

Hey, could you swap this around and put this thing over there...

And could you add a bottle opener like the Israelis did...

Sven
Manticore Arms
My friend ordered the black version because it came with the light barrel and closed flash-hider.

He's intending to buy brown furniture for it shortly after.  He'd be tickled to not have to buy the brown extra, but he's OK with it.

Amusingly, he'd have been fine with the standard AR-15 front sight base and is chomping at the bit over the delays to production from it.

Me, I prefer the new base; I just don't have the money right now for a whole gun.  Working on it though.  The items I really want to see are the half-metal style handguards and waffle mags.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I ordered the black rifle.  I'll probably wait for the revised pistol grip, then have all the furniture Duracoated green.

I can hear the gasps now.  "But AR-10s weren't painted!"  Well, most of them weren't, but I saw video of one that AI made as a presentation rifle for Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, and the furniture was painted green.  If it's good enough for Prince Bernhard, I reckon it's good enough for me.  (Incidentally, the presentation rifle had the open flash hider, and the carry handle was modified for an optic.)

BTW, I also remember when Chuck Taylor was editor of SWAT Magazine and seemed like he took every opportunity to show off his original AR-10 which he had entirely spray-painted in a rudimentary camo pattern.  So, from where I sit paint is not against the AR-10 religion.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Did the AR-10 ever have tri-angle handguards? What is the history on that. I think it looks good.

Nice gun Brownells is offering. For sure going to pick one up but will probably go the part by part route once the stuff is available that way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I ordered the black rifle.  I'll probably wait for the revised pistol grip, then have all the furniture Duracoated green.

I can hear the gasps now.  "But AR-10s weren't painted!"  Well, most of them weren't, but I saw video of one that AI made as a presentation rifle for Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, and the furniture was painted green.  If it's good enough for Prince Bernhard, I reckon it's good enough for me.  (Incidentally, the presentation rifle had the open flash hider, and the carry handle was modified for an optic.)

BTW, I also remember when Chuck Taylor was editor of SWAT Magazine and seemed like he took every opportunity to show off his original AR-10 which he had entirely spray-painted in a rudimentary camo pattern.  So, from where I sit paint is not against the AR-10 religion.
View Quote
I can't imagine anyone has an issue with you setting up your rifle any way that you want it.  Show some pictures so we can see your finished rifle when done.

Ignore the haters and enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Brownells rocks.  So cool.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Did the AR-10 ever have tri-angle handguards? What is the history on that. I think it looks good.

Nice gun Brownells is offering. For sure going to pick one up but will probably go the part by part route once the stuff is available that way.
View Quote
I don't believe that it did.  The only picture I've seen of the AR-10A shows a handguard that from the side kinda looks like the one used later on the AR-18.  Kinda.  The others are round, with or without taper, with flutes, with or without vent-holes; or round sheet metal ventilated types; or the ones that were fluted, ventilated, tapered, and round at the rear with a ventilated metal front portion; and maybe a couple of other similar varieties.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#45]
We need ColdBlue to pitch in with his knowledge of the prototype DMR the USMC built of an AR10. That could be a good model to do next.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Did the AR-10 ever have tri-angle handguards? What is the history on that. I think it looks good....
View Quote
Pretty much all the different Dutch AR10 hand guard types are shown below, except for the belt fed version.

Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Pretty much all the different Dutch AR10 hand guard types are shown below, except for the belt fed version.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/fz0pr4.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/1552sft.jpg
View Quote
Help a tired AR 10 virgin out. What, specifically is the bottom upper in the top picture; the one with the integral bipod? I'm afraid I don't know much about the different contracts, but if Brownells has any plans to produce a repo of that I might have to clear some space in the gunsafe for a new rifle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Bottom gun in top photo is a Portuguese AR10 with optional bipod.  I would expect that Brownells would dupe that later.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#49]
BTW, found this ?

I don't know the origin of that green rifle, but to me it does look similar to the presentation rifle that I referred to earlier.  So, it could actually be original that way from AI.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Some Sudans were green but most were painted matte brown.

The owner of the above green Sudan will swear that his paint is original and I do not doubt that then rifle was originally green.  But the finish is far too nice for a rifle was was carrier for years in Africa.

And the green is the wrong shade.
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top