Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 18
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know if they are going to adjust machining on the FSB itself so that the shelf is a hair lower to allow for a taller front sight post?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
@brownells

I notice the price drop today on the BRN-10 series.

Are those the 'older gen' rifles?
Any plans on modifying the front sight post so it seats taller?
Also, would the ones we order now come with the newer style rear sight that allows more windage adjustment?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These are all the current generation with the slightly higher front sight post.  
No rear sight modifications yet on these models, though all rifles undergo a thorough check for front sight base alignment.
View Quote
Will they be back in stock?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought the mod was to the rear sight to increase windage.

Sorry if this has already been posted (if so, perhaps someone can repost?) but can we get a pic of the taller post in the ears and new rear sight?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I thought the mod was to the rear sight to increase windage.

Sorry if this has already been posted (if so, perhaps someone can repost?) but can we get a pic of the taller post in the ears and new rear sight?
View Quote
When I got my refund last week, the lady from the FFL department told me they were JUST about in the process of changing to the new rear sight design.
So... I would give it another 2 weeks or so until all units to have the new rear sights... just a guess of course.

However, I did not realize they are also doing a new FSB with a taller sight post.
This is GREAT news!

I am definitely re-buying one of these around holiday time, with the updated features
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Question....

What is the length of the stocks on these?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Question....

What is the length of the stocks on these?
View Quote
I have a Colt SP1 and the XBRN-16E1, and the BRN-10B I had seems to have the typical A1 stock.
However, b/c the rear of the lower is longer/more 'beef', the LOP will be longer overall when compared to a AR15 with the same A1 stock.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Brownells, when will you offer the updated rifles (updated sights and grip)?  I would like to order, but want to ensure I get an updated rifle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I just placed an order for a B model.  I wish the furniture wasn't so, Mattel looking but am otherwise excited.  I also ordered five waffle mags so I'll have a nice complement to go with this and my SR25 as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Rear Sights will be a while.  Once the new grips arrive, we're going to send one out to everyone who has purchased the BRN-10 at no charge.
View Quote
Out of curiosity do you have plans for a later model AR-10? I am partial to the Portuguese version.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownells, any updates on when the new waffle magazines for the BRN-10 will ship, as well as when you expect to ship the previous purchasers of the BRN the new model pistol grips? Looking forward to both!
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Brownells; If I were to order one today, what could I expect to receive as far as front and rear sights (updated)? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No rear sight modifications yet on these models, though all rifles undergo a thorough check for front sight base alignment.
View Quote
@brownells
You lied!
I received my BRN-10A today and the sight is STILL SHORT!

My first BRN-10B, which I returned, won't sight in correctly using 4 different type of ammo at 100yards, and the new one is still not to my expectation as it still has the low front post.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Brownells; If I were to order one today, what could I expect to receive as far as front and rear sights (updated)? Thanks!
View Quote
I received my BRN-10A today b/c of the Black Friday sale, and it still has the low front sight, and the old problematic rear sight.

Very disappointed!

My previous BRN-10B shoots 4" to the right at 100 yards, exactly the same problem as 2 other users who've also mentioned this in this thread...

In fact, the new BRN-10A I got today has a lower S/N than my older BRN-10B.

As of now, yet again!, I do not recommend these.

It really does seem like they are trying to get rid of these old ones with sight issues....
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am definitely re-buying one of these around holiday time, with the updated features
View Quote
Keep buying them and let us know when they have tall front sight posts, windage corrected rear sights, darker brown furniture with the new grip, and light barrels on the brown/prong/Sundanese rifle.

:)
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I received my BRN-10A today b/c of the Black Friday sale, and it still has the low front sight, and the old problematic rear sight.

Very disappointed!

My previous BRN-10B shoots 4" to the right at 100 yards, exactly the same problem as 2 other users who've also mentioned this in this thread...

It really does seem like they are trying to get rid of these old ones with sight issues....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very disappointed!

Who makes these and test these rifles?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think it's Aero Precision, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Went to the range today to confirm my disappointment with the BRN-10A... yep, there's still problem with the sights....
Unlike the previous problem with the BRN-10B(returned and refunded), which was shooting 4" to the right at 100 yards with rear sight maxed out.... this time with the A model, it is shooting 9"-11" high !!!!
Absolutely terrible.... the rear sight is bottomed out, and with the short front sight being integrated with the FSB, there's no way to fix it.

I know Brownell have said it is made for a 300m zero, so I tried shooting it at 200 yards and 300 yards, and as expected, it is still shooting WAY HIGH!
At 300 yards, it was still about 8" high.

I've tried different type of M80 style FMJ ammo, and they all shot high... It is without a doubt a problem with the gun/front sight.

Definitely going to return this rifle to Brownell.
It is truly sickening they would let this rifle through, and lied about how the current batches will have the updated taller front sight.

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They used to machine ArmaLite receivers, so it is possible.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They used to machine ArmaLite receivers, so it is possible.
View Quote
Brownells has stated before the receivers are by FM products, barrel by Faxon, and assembly by Aero precision.
Things might have changed recently, but that is the information I gathered.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#24]
How can you tell if you have a newer taller front sight post or the old one? My rifle is at the dealer and I’m out of town.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How can you tell if you have a newer taller front sight post or the old one? My rifle is at the dealer and I’m out of town.
View Quote
You will know if the sight is short.... as it is stupidly short...
Sadly both of my BRN10A and B had the short sight, and both of them needed to be send back.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:23:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Brownells, Any updates to the current batch for sale (confirmed taller front sight and/or drilled out rear peep?)? With the gift card and coupons it’s a pretty attractive deal this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The spring engages both sides of the upper receiver for retention, but will retract when the charging handle is pulled to the rear.
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/IMG_4724_JPG-623822.jpg

Just a thought but what would happen if you changed the retention spring so that it only has one ear that sticks out?  You could leave the design of the charging handle and upper the same and just modify the little spring.  Leave one ear the current size and make the other ear just small enough that it snaps into the charging handle but doesn't engage the notch in the upper.  I'm thinking just one ear would make the charging handle much easier to unlatch.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

All guns going out have the taller Front Sight.  The Rear Peep isn't an issue as long as the FSB is good to go, that was not the case on a sampling of initial guns.
View Quote
Thanks, bit the proverbial bullet and ordered one last night in the hopes for this :)
Can't wait to try it out. Sorry if it's been asked and I missed but any idea on the release time frame for those waffle mags?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We tried a single sided detent, but the charging handle would not stay in place when firing, often "kissing" the shooter's cheek.  We found the Nodak design to be the most robust.
View Quote
Thanks for that info.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Looking at SHOT on the 308 waffle mag.
View Quote
Nice.

Any timeframe update on the retro -10 pistol grip?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Brownells, what size was the front post change?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, it would be helpful to show a picture of the new taller post.  And was the height of the front sight base changed to accommodate it, or was the post just simply made taller on the existing height front sight base, resulting in a much lower point of impact?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My first BRN-10B, which I returned, won't sight in correctly using 4 different type of ammo at 100yards, and the new one is still not to my expectation as it still has the low front post.
View Quote
This is what arrived for me today, any different from yours?

https://imgur.com/gallery/gCt3s14
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
That one is definitely taller, but not much, maybe 30% taller.
Also, it has a wider tip than both of my returned BRN10 (A&B)

My last one, A, shot ~10" high at 100 yards....
They honestly should make the post even taller than what is shown in your pic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That one is definitely taller, but not much, maybe 30% taller.
Also, it has a wider tip than both of my returned BRN10 (A&B)

My last one, A, shot ~10" high at 100 yards....
They honestly should make the post even taller than what is shown in your pic.
View Quote
Thanks for the fast response. Will take it to the range Saturday and see what it does.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks for the fast response. Will take it to the range Saturday and see what it does.
View Quote
No problem.
The first BRN-10, the B model, shot 4" to the right, when rear sight maxed out, but the elevation was dead on.
IMHO, it is simply luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Holy fuck that is a tiny front sight post!

Curious to see how it shoots for you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can you measure the front sight post? How tall is it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Hard to tell, but it looks at least double the size of the first A model I got and about 50% taller than the second one they sent in exchange. Brownells said the second post I received would be .020" higher than the original.  The first rifle shot 12" high at 100 yards and the second rifle's post was only slightly higher and still shot about 10" high at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#43]
BRN-10 variant coming soon!

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Current Front Sight Posts going out the door are .155".  
If customers have issues with the prior posts, we will be manufacturing a lower peep to address any zero issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Current Front Sight Posts going out the door are .155".  
If customers have issues with the prior posts, we will be manufacturing a lower peep to address any zero issues.
Are you kidding me....
Please DO NOT lower the peep!
The current peep sight is already SUPER low inside the carry handle channel!
Why can't you raise the rear peep AND raise the front sight post?

Honestly if you guys take pics and show it on the Brownells website, you will get tons of comments about how you should raise the rear AND the FSP....
I have a feeling some of the guys won't buy it if they know what the rear peep and FSP looks like.

I really hope these 2 items would be addressed CORRECTLY in the future before I try my luck, for the 3rd time....

Quoted:

@Calibretto

Do you mind posting a pic of your rear peep sight too?

Just to show everyone how low already the rear peep is in between the ears of the carry handle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Please DO NOT lower the peep!
The current peep sight is already SUPER low inside the carry handle channel!
Why can't you raise the rear peep AND raise the front sight post?
View Quote
I can understand why Brownell's would want to go this route. It'll be way cheaper/easier to mail out a new peep as opposed to shipping the upper back and forth to have a new front sight base fitted. With that said, maybe they'll mail you a new front sight base and you can change that out?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I can understand why Brownell's would want to go this route. It'll be way cheaper/easier to mail out a new peep as opposed to shipping the upper back and forth to have a new front sight base fitted. With that said, maybe they'll mail you a new front sight base and you can change that out?
View Quote
As mentioned in the message you quoted, I’ve already returned 2 BRN10 back and got the refunds back for both as both had major issues with the sight as it can not be properly zeroed.

I really want to like these, which is why I gave it a second chance, but both failed.

Unless I know the sights are good to go and modified to be taller, I’m not going to buy again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

As mentioned in the message you quoted, I’ve already returned 2 BRN10 back and got the refunds back for both as both had major issues with the sightseer can not be properly zeroed.

I really want to like these, which is why I gave it a second chance, but both failed.

Unless I know the sights are good to go and modified to be taller, I’m not going to buy again.
View Quote
I understand that you're frustrated. Hopefully they can get things worked out.
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top