Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2017 6:58:01 PM EDT
Victor asked me to post a picture and a excerpt from a e-mail concerning his policy on 80% lowers.
Aimless has approved this post.
So....

"If any person send us a receiver machined like the M16 in the photo, or have the sear hole engraved it will not be sent back.
According to ATF it will be considered a Machine Gun, and we were told to notify them so they can pick it up. "

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Except that BATF apparently allows an engraved sear hole on replica rifles such as those offered by Troy. Those are very nice by the way!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
So, if we send Victor an original Colt SP1 receiver to be reanodized, is he going to give it to the ATF as a machinegun?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, if we send Victor an original Colt SP1 receiver to be reanodized, is he going to give it to the ATF as a machinegun?
View Quote
Can the lower on the top fire more than one round per pull of trigger? No? Then not a machinegun.

But his rules. He owns the business.

I would like to see the BATFE memo on this.

ATF

Does not say a pocket drilled out any specific way is considered a machinegun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The BATF actually confiscated some lowers a few months ago, including one that one of our members owned.  Troy gets away with it because their lowers are marked "Replica", but the BATF took a left turn and Victor said he was not going to accept them any longer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone explain the "M16" reciever? I was cartain as long as the evil 3rd hole is missing, its AR15.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I see. Thanks for pointing that out. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Except that BATF apparently allows an engraved sear hole on replica rifles such as those offered by Troy. Those are very nice by the way!
View Quote
Doesn't Troy have some former ATF agents working for them? Maybe that's how they get a pass.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
How is the top lower considered an M16/Machinegun since there Does Not Appear to be an auto sear hole drilled in the lower?

Just wondering what this LOGIC (using that term loosely) by the ATF is????

And I do AGREE that it is his business and he can Refuse to work on any lower he does not want to work on, so that is not even an issue or what I an questioning.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How is the top lower considered an M16/Machinegun since there Does Not Appear to be an auto sear hole drilled in the lower?

And I do AGREE that it is his business and he can Refuse to work on any lower he does not want to work on, so that is not even an issue or what I an questioning.
View Quote
The top receiver DOES have the auto-sear "ledge" milled in the correct place.  With the ledge machined, it is a matter of seconds before an auto-sear could be installed.  There is NO reason for that ledge to be there on ANY semi auto.  Without the ledge, even if you drilled the auto-sear pin hole, you could not install an auto sear.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]
BCI defense lowers are cut to m16 dimensions from the factory.  Several of them listed on GB.  Search BCI Lower, and see for yourself...
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
BCI defense lowers are cut to m16 dimensions from the factory.  Several of them listed on GB.  Search BCI Lower, and see for yourself...
View Quote
The BCI defense lowers DO NOT have the auto-sear shelf milled into them
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you need to look on gb, before you make such a statement.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
If you look on the bci website, if you blow up the pics of their stripped lower, you can clearly see the machined shelf.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the "M16" reciever? I was cartain as long as the evil 3rd hole is missing, its AR15.
View Quote
There is no M16 receiver in that pic.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The top receiver DOES have the auto-sear "ledge" milled in the correct place.  With the ledge machined, it is a matter of seconds before an auto-sear could be installed.  There is NO reason for that ledge to be there on ANY semi auto..
View Quote
Makes not one damn bit of difference if it's not in the rule book.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you look on the bci website, if you blow up the pics of their stripped lower, you can clearly see the machined shelf.
View Quote
I did just that, and while they do have a shelf, it does not look to me like it is low enough for an auto-sear to sit on and work properly.  I'm going to a gun show this weekend and will try to examine one in person
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Makes not one damn bit of difference if it's not in the rule book.
View Quote
I'm just trying to figure out what VICTOR is prohibiting from being sent to him, not what is REALLY forbidden by the alphabet people (batfe).
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#20]
BCI has been well known for machining their lowers to the M16 specifications with the low shelf that allows the FA parts to be properly installed if the third hole has been drilled, there is a local shop that has two post guns as well as a few BCI non auto lowers and other than the third hole, the machine work is the same.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#21]
The pics on GB are much clearer.  Looks just like an m16 sans the auto sear pin hole...
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BCI has been well known for machining their lowers to the M16 specifications with the low shelf that allows the FA parts to be properly installed if the third hole has been drilled, there is a local shop that has two post guns as well as a few BCI non auto lowers and other than the third hole, the machine work is the same.
View Quote
Well, that blows THAT theory . . . . .
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The top receiver DOES have the auto-sear "ledge" milled in the correct place.  With the ledge machined, it is a matter of seconds before an auto-sear could be installed.  There is NO reason for that ledge to be there on ANY semi auto.  Without the ledge, even if you drilled the auto-sear pin hole, you could not install an auto sear.
View Quote
Copy, I am not knowledgeable reference this so that is why I asked.

Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Victor asked me to post a picture and a excerpt from a e-mail concerning his policy on 80% lowers.
Aimless has approved this post.
So....

"If any person send us a receiver machined like the M16 in the photo, or have the sear hole engraved it will not be sent back.
According to ATF it will be considered a Machine Gun, and we were told to notify them so they can pick it up. "

https://i.imgur.com/vyKtOS3.png
View Quote
  After reading several times it appears to me that this what ATF told Victor to do ,not Victor deciding to do this on his own. Question is: can it have "AUTO" engraved on receiver?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
  After reading several times it appears to me that this what ATF told Victor to do ,not Victor deciding to do this on his own. Question is: can it have "AUTO" engraved on receiver?
View Quote
Yep. IIRC Victor used to service them until last year sometime.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#27]
A couple of points here.
Yes, Victor knows that top lower in the picture isn't a M-16, he was using M-16 as a descriptor concerning the fire control pocket dimensions.
Yes, this all fallout from the confiscation episode earlier, it won't go away.
Your questions are better asked to and answered by Victor than a gun forum, he will answer eventually.
What anyone else does or doesn't do has no effect on anyone except that party, it's not "Susie stayed up late so I can, too".

It was rotten luck a Auditor saw that lower(s)  last year(?) but he did and things have to change.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A couple of points here.
Yes, Victor knows that top lower in the picture isn't a M-16, he was using M-16 as a descriptor concerning the fire control pocket dimensions.
Your questions are better asked to and answered by Victor than a gun forum, he will answer eventually.
What anyone else does or doesn't do has no effect on anyone except that party, it's not "Susie stayed up late so I can, too".

It was rotten luck a Auditor saw that lower(s)  last year(?) but he did and things have to change.
View Quote
An auditor found a semi-auto lower and decided to write a new law on the spot? And it's enforceable?

Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

An auditor found a semi-auto lower and decided to write a new law on the spot? And it's enforceable?

Interesting.
View Quote
The auditor didn't write a new law. The auditor sent them back to the ATF lab to be "determined" on that particular case.

It seems they determine on a case by case basis, which is why their "letters' usually only count on something specific.

The people who had their lowers taken were at the mercy of the ATF. Yes, they could have fought it to get the lower back, but they either couldn't monetarily, or didn't want to, fight it, so they surrendered it.

I think that it was said that the ATF realized there was no intent to manufacture a machine gun, but they weren't going to just give the lowers back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think that it was said that the ATF realized there was no intent to manufacture a machine gun, but they weren't going to just give the lowers back.
View Quote
I know you were not speeding, but your speedometer goes to 120 mph.  You understand that I make these rules up as I go, so I need you to spread your cheeks for me now, and maybe I won't burn your house down and shoot your wife and dog.

AFAIK, no pin hole = GTG.  Never heard this shelf/low shelf garbage.  If this is a new "rule" they came up with, we need to make it a sticky on every board.  

FTBATF
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A couple of points here.

View Quote
Well said.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
With the ledge machined, it is a matter of seconds before an auto-sear could be installed.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
With the ledge machined, it is a matter of seconds before an auto-sear could be installed.  
Seconds? No. You still have to know how/where to drill the sear pin holes.

Quoted:
There is NO reason for that ledge to be there on ANY semi auto.
By that logic, there is no need to mill any of the area back there, just go with a web.

Quoted:

I did just that, and while they do have a shelf, it does not look to me like it is low enough for an auto-sear to sit on and work properly.
The sear does not sit on the shelf. The sear is held in place by a pin. The shelf only has to be low enough to clear the pin, and is very forgiving. I have M16s that have a lot of variance in how lo/hi that shelf is. Some took out the shelf 1/2 down the selector diameter, others much higher but still clearing the sear pin.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Seconds? No. You still have to know how/where to drill the sear pin holes.
View Quote
It only takes SECONDS to drill a hole in aluminum - as long as you know WHERE to drill it
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks for that info, it is new to me
View Quote
Always here to help a newbie.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

By that logic, there is no need to mill any of the area back there, just go with a web.
View Quote
That is not a bad idea at all.  Maybe we should just do what Troy does
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It only takes SECONDS to drill a hole in aluminum - as long as you know WHERE to drill it
View Quote
Actually knowing where to drill the hole is the easy part, I can punch one with no problem and there are sear pin hole jigs for sale all over the place.  As long as you have a set of calipers, you can pin point it in less than a minute.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The sear does not sit on the shelf. The sear is held in place by a pin. The shelf only has to be low enough to clear the pin, and is very forgiving. I have M16s that have a lot of variance in how lo/hi that shelf is. Some took out the shelf 1/2 down the selector diameter, others much higher but still clearing the sear pin.
View Quote
That is new to me.  Were the variances that you have observed in GI receivers, or aftermarket ones?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do just that, none of the guns I have made from 80% have been fully milled, they all have the web in them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I own 3 M16's and the pockets on each one of them are different in some respects, I have an early 60's model, a late 60's and a later model, none of them are exactly the same as the others.  All three of mine are Colt's
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That is new to me.  Were the variances that you have observed in GI receivers, or aftermarket ones?
View Quote
Not GI. All my Colts appear to be the same.

I do mine to Colt spec, but stuff I xfer for customers (pre-86 conversions mostly) seems to be all over the place, Sendra, Pearl, as well as some F1 conversions.

I have seen shelf cut at 1/2 down selector diameter on a Pearl, to 1/8 inch or so over selector.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I have never actually had a broke open M16 in my hands to see but I always assumed the shelf was for the sear spring to seat.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironically, if you own a registered drop-in auto-sear; the middle one can be used as a machinegun far faster than the top one can be converted.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ironically, if you own a registered drop-in auto-sear; the middle one can be used as a machinegun far faster than the top one can be converted.
View Quote
California gun laws for ya...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
OR, ANY drop in auto sear
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't want to seem to be advocating illegal activity...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I was shocked at the allowance by our masters to use full auto carriers. And it was always my "hearing" that FA fire control parts in possession at the time of reciever possession is nono. Then i read that FA parts can be in gun except the sear. At the end of the day, it cant go bangedy bang bang per squeeze.
So i say if you want to do a sticky on this, make sure to copy and paste ATF docs to support.
Sad when we are so submissive we begin to exhibit Stockholm Syndrome by adhiering to tighter self imposed versions of unconstitutional laws forced upon us.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes it's their choice as a private business. But that doesn't mean people can't criticize the decision and not send them business.

The Top receiver is not a machine gun. I have several just like that from several different manufacturers. If the ATF says it's a machine gun, they can come get them (not a threat, I would surrender under protest and see them in court). They can get my information from AR15.

If we don't fight things like this, that means we let it stand.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I did just that, and while they do have a shelf, it does not look to me like it is low enough for an auto-sear to sit on and work properly.  I'm going to a gun show this weekend and will try to examine one in person
View Quote
Seriously just stop posting on here
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to own guns. Not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Fake News.

A Machine Gun is a firearm that has a fully automatic capability.

* Having an "Auto" position marked, or pictogram does not make a machine gun.

* Having a "Full Auto Bolt Carrier" does not make a machine gun.

* Having a selector that sweeps to three positions does not make a machine gun.

* Having a auto sear axis marked on an AR receiver, or a "Y" stamp on an AK receiver does not make a machine gun.

The test for a Machine Gun is- "does it run full auto?"

BATFE can do crazy stuff to try and force that capability, but they can't perform a conversion and say it's a Machine Gun.

IF you let them steal your stuff... on some BS... then you are simply a fool.

It's the exact same thing as stealing your knife and saying a thumb stud is a switchblade- It's not. It's very similar to stealing your watch or fondling your girlfriend- a violation of the law by those charged with enforcing it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top