Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2017 10:05:48 AM EDT
I just picked it up from the post office!
Attachment Attached File

It’s a build that I have been meaning to do for a while so pardon the Ergo grip and lack of rear sight and charging handle. I just quickly threw it on a lower to get a look.

John converted the large pin upper to small pin. Cut and threaded the barrel in 1/2X28 for my suppressor, reprofiled the barrel a bit, reparked the front sight parts and mounted them up.  We never talked about it even but he made me a nice thread protector as well.
Attachment Attached File

With my Gemtech multimount on it

He also did a repair on my overpriced original handguards I managed to chip. Can you tell where it is?
Attachment Attached File

The stock is an LWRC that uses the UCIW tube.

Over all I love the gun and as always John did a great job.

A big thanks to John and also the person who gave me the front sight parts. I’m sorry but I forget who it was but thanks for making this build possible!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW!  I wish I lived in "Free America" instead of Californistan.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

Where did you pick up the HGs & front sight assembly?

Wanting to make one of these myself one of these days.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been thinking about running one of those stocks on a 9mm SBR. What buffer are you planning to use? Stock 9mm buffer is too long. I've been looking at the Heavy Buffers product, but I'm not crazy about spending $150 on a buffer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice little blaster. 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!

View Quote
Thanks

The handguards came from a local class 3 dealer and were brand new in the plastic but I somehow managed to chip them which John fixed up. I paid dearly for them though.

The FSB came from somebody on here and I feel really bad but I forget who it was. whoever it was thank you so very much.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about running one of those stocks on a 9mm SBR. What buffer are you planning to use? Stock 9mm buffer is too long. I've been looking at the Heavy Buffers product, but I'm not crazy about spending $150 on a buffer.
View Quote
That’s probably what I’m going to have to do is bight the bullet though I hate that price too!

Maybe somebody like jhud can make a custom one?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks

The handguards came from a local class 3 dealer and were brand new in the plastic but I somehow managed to chip them which John fixed up. I paid dearly for them though.

The FSB came from somebody on here and I feel really bad but I forget who it was. whoever it was thank you so very much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Thanks

So no reliable source then, just at the right place at the right time. Thanks for replying.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
He did have another set and I will have to see if I can come up with his name for you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice build! All I need is a fiberlite stock to complete mine.  Did it on a factory Colt 9mm SBR lower with an original DOE upper. The finish is very mis-matched and a little bothersome. Was thinking about buying a 9mm green label carbine and then SBR'ing it for better color match.  What I'm not sure about is whether or not the DOE's had a raised fence lower. I've seen pictures of them with and without.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow awesome JT work as usual and awesome build OP
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks and I’m very impressed with how the handguard repair came out!

I need to order me up the rest of the parts and get it on the correct lower. The mistake I made though is that somewhere here I have a NOS black Colt 9mm upper I saved and now I can’t find it so it ended up on a gray upper. Now do I make the rest of it gray or leave it black and if I leave ithe upper gray then I need a gray charging handle, sight parts etc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So no reliable source then, just at the right place at the right time. Thanks for replying.
View Quote
My DOE replica parts came from WATOM.  I presume that he might still make the Barrel Assemblies.
I added his parts to a Colt 9mm parts kit.
The lower was an 80% that Braceman engraved.  I had it Cerakoted.

It took forever to get the SBR approval (seemed like it anyway).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice. Might be my next project.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My DOE replica parts came from WATOM.  I presume that he might still make the Barrel Assemblies.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276452/IMG_5412-337294.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276452/IMG_5412-337294.JPG
Awesome, thanks! I'd be good with reproductions, especially if the real deal is out of my price range.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice. Will definitely have to get in touch with him about my 300 blk 605 build I have planned out
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What I'm not sure about is whether or not the DOE's had a raised fence lower. I've seen pictures of them with and without.
View Quote
The original DOEs were select-fire guns and had a full fence.

The famous prototype photograph shows a heavily modified lower that has the fence removed, and in the past, DOE uppers/replicas have been grafted to slabside lowers for sale.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks and I’m very impressed with how the handguard repair came out!

I need to order me up the rest of the parts and get it on the correct lower. The mistake I made though is that somewhere here I have a NOS black Colt 9mm upper I saved and now I can’t find it so it ended up on a gray upper. Now do I make the rest of it gray or leave it black and if I leave ithe upper gray then I need a gray charging handle, sight parts etc.
View Quote
Make it gray!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#18]
JT did most of my work on my DOE also. Pined FSB , reparked the barrel and FSB and parts. And also fixed the loose front folding sight. JT also parked all of my steel LPK and stock parts grey.
He also drilled the 3rd roll pin in my new Colt 9mm lower to look like the older 2 piece block type lower.  He also blasted the camo finish off the Colt Lower.
My handguards are new made from a guy in St. Louis I think they was $50 ( Matsucorp )

I am waiting on my SBR stamp so its a pistol for now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]
That’s a good looking stick you got there!

I will be using my bottom load mag well as even though I have 5 lowers registered as SBRs I swap uppers around on them and thus calibers as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
JT did most of my work on my DOE also. Pined FSB , reparked the barrel and FSB and parts. And also fixed the loose front folding sight. JT also parked all of my steel LPK and stock parts grey.
He also drilled the 3rd roll pin in my new Colt 9mm lower to look like the older 2 piece block type lower.  He also blasted the camo finish off the Colt Lower.
My handguards are new made from a guy in St. Louis I think they was $50 ( Matsucorp )

I am waiting on my SBR stamp so its a pistol for now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66213/20170628_181209-338087.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66213/20170628_181047-338092.JPG
View Quote
Seriously, if this "pistol brace/blade" thing is going to keep being a thing, someone needs to design a "Retro looking" brace/blade so that the ass end of these things stops looking like they come from the 27th Century.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks good .

I had a little engraving fun with mine
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember seeing that pic before and why not?

I would consider doing the same if I had a dedicated receiver for it to live on.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top