Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 10:40:20 PM EDT
Googling something else I found this...

US Marine COL Ward, left and SGT Johnson, right, who provides security for COL Ward, inspect an area just to the north of MogadishuAirport. Both men wear desert camouflage flak vests and the light blue beret of the United Nations Forces. SGT Johnson holds M16 rifle in his right arm. This mission is in direct support of Operation Restore Hope
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
That old A1 looks cool with the A2 handguards and the top sling.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool pic.

ETA: checkout those dudes in the background...
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool pic.

ETA: checkout those dudes in the background...
View Quote
We called em "Skinnies"!

And Col Ed Ward was USA, not USMC.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I never called them skinnies we always called them "Sammy's"..

Was waiting on someone to catch that Ward was USA not USMC.

I'm thinking the M16 is one we were providing to the Somali police as its an early 603 partial fence and not USMC issue at all..
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like an xm16e1 with new furniture.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes he is not USMC look at his sleeve roll is a dead give away we fold them inside out the guy on the right is a MARINE with sleeves folded correctly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Concerning the rifle in the pictures, who sells USGI round handguards for the triangle front sight base backing plate? All I'm finding is for the round FSB backing plate. I have one A1 with a 1/7 pencil barrel I'm considering doing this to. Reproduction would be ok. Numrich Arms does have, but they look beaten up @ only $12.95ea + shipping. I assume I could clean up if needed?

And wasn't there a model number on the early A1 that was transforming to an A2 with 1/7 twist and the round handguards? Thought I had a brochure of the this model but can't find. Thx.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
All USGI 20" rifles have a triangular end plate, so any A2 hand guard made to milspec should fit.

Not my pic, but this shows how the front of the hand guards fit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Concerning the rifle in the pictures, who sells USGI round handguards for the triangle front sight base backing plate? All I'm finding is for the round FSB backing plate. I have one A1 with a 1/7 pencil barrel I'm considering doing this to. Reproduction would be ok. Numrich Arms does have, but they look beaten up @ only $12.95ea + shipping. I assume I could clean up if needed?

And wasn't there a model number on the early A1 that was transforming to an A2 with 1/7 twist and the round handguards? Thought I had a brochure of the this model but can't find. Thx.
View Quote
http://www.del-ton.com/Handguards_p/hg1013.htm

This one fits the bill.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
During the transitional period from SP1 to Sporter II, there were some strange combinations. I have seen early Sporter 2s with both Sp1 and C7 type uppers with a 1/7 Pencil barrel that were labeled "Sporter II." I even saw a "Match HBAR" with C7 upper.... Eventually they switched to A2 uppers.  There were very few, as I suspect they were using pencil barrel blanks on hand, and switching to 1/7 twist.  I was a dealer at the time, and once ordered two "Sporter Lightweights" from a wholesaler.  They both had an A1 length stock, with an A2 finish and buttplate, and 1/7 twist 16" Pencil barrels. One, however, have a C7 type receiver and a A1 flash hider, and the other had an A2 upper with a A2 flash hider.  The labels on both boxes were identical, except serial number.

As with most martial arms, when production is changed to upgraded parts, the existing stock of older parts is often used up.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top