Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 4:37:45 PM EDT
Some random thoughts on the illustrious Colt Model '01.

First, let me preface it by saying that in 1979 to 1981 I was in a reserve Security Police outfit, and I had the good fortune to actually shoot a 601.  It was in our USAF SP arms room.  It was all original, complete with duckbill FH, and green painted brown furniture.  We took it out occasionally on range days and let her rip.  

I thought it was actually lighter and handier than the M16A1 I had been issued in the active Army 1974-1977.  It was "sleek" and as another member on this forum aptly said, it was "Tubular" designed and simple.  When you consider the times where heavy steel and wood weapons had ruled the roost for 400 years, the aluminum and polymer ArmaLite platform was truly revolutionary.  For the amount of lead it threw down range, it was incredibly easy to handle.  Compared to other martial arms at the time, it was much lighter and easier to handle than anything except maybe the M2 carbine - which was more limited in application.

BTW, I worked in the arms room, so I got to choose my weapon.  Mostly it was  GAU-5/A/A with a birdcage flash hider, then a GAU-5/P Franken Carbine on a 601 (or 602) lower, with a 14.5" 1/12 pencil barrel.  Both were slick side uppers, and as I said my GAU-5/P was a slick side lower.  Maybe that's why I am so found of "slick sides" and 601s in particular.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The XM16E1's and 602's are the only rifles that rival the 601 in cool factor for me.  Revolutionary for its time!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Very true....I would love to do another XM16E1 build.  I had one in 2011, but sold it when I moved back to Californication.  I did a 602 until I could round up the rest of the stuff for a 601.  Now I have furniture and a duckbill,  and have a bolt catch coming from JT.  I still need the triangular charging handle.  

I am probably going to register it, so I don't need a 601mag button since I have to use a bullet button if I register it.  I can't quite bring myself to put a kydex paddle on the 601 to make it featureless.  We will see, though.  I like my 20s (especially my waffle), and a standard mag button.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Home for me is back in CA. I go to school here in NY. I'm familiar with the struggle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a possibility the law suits filed against the Department of Justice will allow registered AW owners to remove the bullet buttons (the Penal Code does not say anything about Bullet Buttons, just a magazine that is fixed, or not fixed.  DOJ wrote their own law requiring the bullet button to stay on, even though they do not have the power to write laws!).  I plan on registering two of my ARs (the 601 being one), my PTR91 (HK 91 clone), and one AK. I will also have a featureless AR15, AR180, and M1 carbine.  If the lawsuits go badly, I can make the registered guns featureless and de-register them.  Sort of playing both ends against the middle.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top