Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2017 12:51:39 AM EDT
After seeing pictures of the 605, I know it will be my next build. However, I am wanting to do it a little differently. I want it in 300 blackout. I saw a picture of a 605 with a can on it knew that’s what I wanted to do. I’ve figured out that I am going to need to run a pistol length gas system and use the front sight base to hold the hand guards on. I also have a flash hider that is long enough and compatible with my Reece 7 to meet the 16” pin and weld requirement. What I need help is with two things:

1) Barrel: to use the front sight base, I need to find a barrel. Seeing as how 99.9% of the 300 blackout barrel market is geared towards lo pro gas blocks, this is gonna be a tough one to find. There is also the issue of the barrel extension lining up with the A1 slick side upper. Any suggestions?

2) Buffer weight: my experience with 300 blackout is limited to the 8” pdw I have, and the rifles/pistols I have shot for test firing. I haven’t heard or seen a person use a full length stock and rifle buffer system on a 300 blackout. Is this something that anybody here has had experience with?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#1]
This one is built on a government profile carbine barrel. There is a low pro gas block under the handguards at the carbine position and the FSB is pinned on. It required a small bead to be welded on to make the barrel diameter correct for it.
Attachment Attached File

I kept the 16" barrel length so I did not have to SBR it or pin the flash hider as my can is a thread on.
Attachment Attached File

As for the buffer, I just use a standard rifle buffer with mine but it is .223 but I also have a Mk 18 Mod 0 clone that is a 10.5" with a pistol length gas system in 300 blackout that I also use a standard carbine buffer in. The 300 seems to be pretty buffer insensitive.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This one is built on a government profile carbine barrel. There is a low pro gas block under the handguards at the carbine position and the FSB is pinned on. It required a small bead to be welded on to make the barrel diameter correct for it.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164962/IMG_1663-331328.JPG

I kept the 16" barrel length so I did not have to SBR it or pin the flash hider as my fan is a thread on.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164962/IMG_1664-331330.JPG

As for the buffer, I just use a standard rifle buffer with mine but it is .223 but I also have a Mk 18 Mod 0 clone that is a 10.5" with a pistol length gas system in 300 blackout that I also use a standard carbine buffer in. The 300 seems to be pretty buffer insensitive.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164962/IMG_1665-331331.JPG
View Quote
Very nice sir. I have found with supers and subs from 16 down to 6" barrels the 300 isn't buffer sensitive either with a carbine system. I'm honestly not to sure what a rifle buffer weighs in at, so thats why I was asking. I'm pretty sure I have found the barrel I want to use. How hard is it to drill the holes for the taper pins? I have access to good tools to do the job, just never have done it before. Since it is just going to be used told the hand guards in place, are taper pins necessary?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I farmed it out as to make sure you get it right requires a jig and considering that's going to determine your sights I didn't want to mess it up.

Taper pins aren't necessary in that like you said it's really just holding the front hand guard cap. But I liked the idea as I wanted to make sure my front sight was rock solid and considering the front sling loop is there too...

Send it off to John Thomas and he will get you all squared away and back in the mail probably in a few days for a reasonable price and then you know it's right.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I farmed it out as to make sure you get it right requires a jig and considering that's going to determine your sights I didn't want to mess it up.

Taper pins aren't necessary in that like you said it's really just holding the front hand guard cap. But I liked the idea as I wanted to make sure my front sight was rock solid and considering the front sling loop is there too...

Send it off to John Thomas and he will get you all squared away and back in the mail probably in a few days for a reasonable price and then you know it's right.
View Quote
Agreed, JT will hook you up. He helped me with my barrel. A pic attached for inspiration
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice! Forgive my ignorance, but who is JT?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah gotcha. Yea i’ll Be in contact with him for sure then.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top