Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2017 11:50:04 PM EDT
I was looking through the active topics on a local board, and came across a guy who was getting rid of triangular handguards.  I grabbed them, and now I'm torn as to what to do with them.

I've had a picture of a dissy with triangular handguards on my phone and computer for like a decade, but I also grew up shooting an SP1.  I'm not sure if I want to built something retro, or retro-mod.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Go full Monty and build a 607!??

There are so many options you can build a retro however you like.
The classic A1 profile is nice too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
While that would be awesome, these are rifle length handguards.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While that would be awesome, these are rifle length handguards.
View Quote
Nothing a saw won't fix.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt 605
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was looking through the active topics on a local board, and came across a guy who was getting rid of triangular handguards.  I grabbed them, and now I'm torn as to what to do with them.

I've had a picture of a dissy with triangular handguards on my phone and computer for like a decade, but I also grew up shooting an SP1.  I'm not sure if I want to built something retro, or retro-mod.
View Quote

Build a 605.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the carbine I've had in the back of my mind for years:

Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't keep up.  I hate you all...
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't keep up.  I hate you all...
View Quote
You and me both...

After seeing this thread Ive sent an email to John Thomas about cutting down a barrel and opening the gas port for a 605 build.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I just had to dig these photos out for another thread so figured I would post them here. Here's my pseudo 605 that came about as a spare parts build. It is a government profile carbine barrel with a low pro gas block under the handguards.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just had to dig these photos out for another thread so figured I would post them here. Here's my pseudo 605 that came about as a spare parts build. It is a government profile carbine barrel with a low pro gas block under the handguards.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164962/IMG_1664-331333.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164962/IMG_1663-331332.JPG
View Quote
What is the better option for a 605 barrel; pencil 20" cut down and gas port enlarged, or dissipator barrel with a low pro gas block? I mean in terms of reliability, which is better?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#11]
They say the cut down rifle length is fine as long as the gas port is opened up to the correct size but the originals were said to be somewhat temperature sensative.

I went with the carbine length as it was a spare parts build and it's the spare part I happened to have. The government profile worked well in that the barrel diameter was almost the correct one to install the FSB then anyway.

The carbine barrel will cost you a lot less too.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top