Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2017 9:05:50 PM EDT
First off, neither of these AI AR-10s are mine nor do I know the owner or seller.

If this post violates the CoC I will delete it.

There is a Portuguese AR-10 on a Sendra lower on gunbroker and the same seller has a Guatemalan AR-10 on an H&H lower, also on gunbroker.  I am not knowledgeable enough to know by looking at the pictures if the ARs are really what the seller claims them to be.  I won't post the link nor will I hot link, just do a search on GB.

Thought I'd pass this on; again, not mine, I don't know the owner or seller.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Those bastards! They are semi local to me and they seem to have gotten a collection of some pretty rare stuff. Unfortunately it ends up on gunbroker instead of in the shop
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Port is auction # 700080676
Guat is auction # 699999528

TONS OF PICS.
No affiliation to the seller.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those bastards! They are semi local to me and they seem to have gotten a collection of some pretty rare stuff. Unfortunately it ends up on gunbroker instead of in the shop
View Quote
I thought this too...
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought this too...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this too...
You thought they were semi local to me?

How do you know where I live?

I wouldn't mind owning either of them but I'm sure they will go above my price range. What kind of price do these usually go for when they can be found?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You thought they were semi local to me?

How do you know where I live?

I wouldn't mind owning either of them but I'm sure they will go above my price range. What kind of price do these usually go for when they can be found?
View Quote
Ha no the thought they ended up on GunBroker instead of staying in the shop!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I know, I was just being a smart @ss!

It's a decent shop that I have picked up a few things from and I understand why they put rarer,more unusual and more expensive stuff on gunbroker. That rifle may sit in the shop for a long time at the price I'm sure it would command until the right guy found it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't see these come up for sale very often. Should be an interesting auction. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't understand why people feel the need to post about auctions before they complete.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't understand why people feel the need to post about auctions before they complete.
View Quote
Simple:  
1) Auctions are fun to watch when there is more than one bidder.
2) Multiple bidders make auctions more fun to watch.
3) Auctions are great fun when you are the only bidder.

The two AI AR10s are well listed.  The outfit selling them has done their research and the listing are easily found.
There are plenty of bidders and we will soon be shown the true market value.

The Portuguese is now trending higher than the Guatemalan even thought the Guat is more rare.  I think that is due to
a higher demand for the more durable Portuguese.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Both are in better then typical condition.
Current bids with a few days to go.
Port $3800
Guat $3000
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Simple:  
1) Auctions are fun to watch when there is more than one bidder.
2) Multiple bidders make auctions more fun to watch.
3) Auctions are great fun when you are the only bidder.

The two AI AR10s are well listed.  The outfit selling them has done their research and the listing are easily found.
There are plenty of bidders and we will soon be shown the true market value.

The Portuguese is now trending higher than the Guatemalan even thought the Guat is more rare.  I think that is due to
a higher demand for the more durable Portuguese.
View Quote
What makes the Port more durable?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What makes the Portuguese AR10 more durable than a Sudanese?
View Quote
The Porto bolt is heavier and I have never seen a broken one.  
But I have a a collection of broken Sudan bolt heads. (I did not personally
break them)  Dutch sport shooters tell me that a Sudan bolt is good for
3K-5K rounds and then is done.  

You must realize that the Sudan barrel extension has weaker lugs as well.

Most Dutch AR10 owners do now have a parts supply that would get them
through a broken barrel or bolt.  

Also, the handguard system on the Portos is not prone to deterioration while
Sudan HGs will degrade due to occasional exposure to him temperature.  Once
in a while I see a Sudan with nice looking HGs that are eggshell thin in places.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]
The Guatemalan AR10 went for $5425.  The Portuguese AR10 is at $5550 with an hour to go.

The listings for those guns are the best and most accurate I have seen on GB.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Guatemalan AR10 went for $5425.  The Portuguese AR10 is at $5550 with an hour to go.

The listings for those guns are the best and most accurate I have seen on GB.
View Quote
That dealer is an experienced gunbroker seller.. Everything is going for top dollar.. .

Auction ends on the weekend... 70 pictures, and a great description... No buyer deals to be had there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The Portuguese brought $6025.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, I was watching them, the AR70 and the Valmet and they all brought more than I was willing to pay
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I missed the Valmet, how much did it sell for?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#18]
It was an M82 bullpup for $2232 which probably wasn't horrible with the box and all but I'm still trying to talk a friend out of one of his full auto M76s.

Here's the link if you want to see it.

Same seller has a bunch of nice WW2 stuff up now
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Those auctions are also pretty useful if you happen to own an AI era AR-10.
I have a pair; a Porto and a Sudanese (CNC'd lowers a few years ago - another story).
Aside from bragging rights, I now have a current insurance value to document a ballpark amount of coverage.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Dang, $5425 and $6025.... Baby needs a new excavator...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Keep in mind that they do represent the HIGH END of the market value.  If two of these showed up on GunBroker every week, the prices that they would sell for would go down every week.  For some odd reason I once sold an MG34 starter tab at auction for over $100.  In reality, the market born value is $15-20, but two individuals just HAD to have that particular one. Immediately there was a rash of these starter tabs showing up at auction with starting prices of $50-80, and not one sold. A collectible does not have a "true" value until it actually sells, and the market value is realized.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It was an M82 bullpup for $2232 which probably wasn't horrible with the box and all but I'm still trying to talk a friend out of one of his full auto M76s.

Here's the link if you want to see it.

Same seller has a bunch of nice WW2 stuff up now
View Quote
Dammit i missed that i would have liked to pick one up to go along with the 7.62 one i have
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that they do represent the HIGH END of the market value.  If two of these showed up on GunBroker every week, the prices that they would sell for would go down every week.  For some odd reason I once sold an MG34 starter tab at auction for over $100.  In reality, the market born value is $15-20, but two individuals just HAD to have that particular one. Immediately there was a rash of these starter tabs showing up at auction with starting prices of $50-80, and not one sold. A collectible does not have a "true" value until it actually sells, and the market value is realized.
View Quote
I can't disagree with any of that...except maybe the first sentence. When I bought my first Port AR10 a few years ago, they typically went a bit over $3k.  Retro prices in general have climbed a good deal since then, and as the early AR10s have become more widely known they have gone up in price quite a bit.
Yes, if a bunch of these suddenly came on the market, the prices would drop, but these most recent prices aren't the "high end" of the market...
This one on a Telko receiver sold on GB for $11,325 a few months ago.  Granted, it looks to be in outstanding shape and came with a couple extra mags, but that, I'd say, was the high end of the market!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:34:39 AM EDT
[#24]
With the AR10s, its hard to get ANY idea of true market value as they are few and far between... PLUS, the differences in lowers as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#25]
There is quite a diverse range of condition with these guns.  Some are worn to bits, others are in decent original condition or have been well restored.  Everyone appears to have their favorite lower.  My favorite is the Hahn and I would not give a plug nickel for a H&H.  But others love the H&H as seen by the last GB auction.  Bottom line is that there are and will continue to be buying opportunities.  Only a few months ago I snagged a Porto from GB for less than $3K.  Armslist will have better deals but there is much more risk.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Here are mine; I bought them as kits from Peter Wilkie in Canada back in about 2001 or 2002 for $600 apiece including 12 mags (6 gray for the Sudanese and 6 black for the Porto) and a spare barrel for the Porto. I was able to get dimensions and a machinist friend helped me make a couple of new receivers from billet.
Maybe one of these days I'll be able to track down a couple of decent bayonets and slings.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here are mine; I bought them as kits from Peter Wilkie in Canada back in about 2001 or 2002 for $600 apiece including 12 mags (6 gray for the Sudanese and 6 black for the Porto) and a spare barrel for the Porto. I was able to get dimensions and a machinist friend helped me make a couple of new receivers from billet.
Maybe one of these days I'll be able to track down a couple of decent bayonets and slings.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2667/010_Pair-344270.JPG
View Quote
Where'd you get the receiver dimensions from?  I occasionally see a decent parts kit go up for sale on other forums and I've thought about this route since I know someone who could do the machine work.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Where are you seeing parts kits? A friend has a receiver and has been looking for a parts kit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where are you seeing parts kits? A friend has a receiver and has been looking for a parts kit.
View Quote
There have been a couple of times where I've seen them on forums when doing a Google search (never one that I'm a member of).  It's been a while, though.  Not exactly cheap, that's for damn sure.  There can't be many out there at this point.  The issue, of course, is getting a receiver if you only get the kit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I think that’s part of why he’s still looking is that he’s notoriously cheap!
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Folks with mutiple Dutch AR10s generally have a complete or partial kit because it is a source of spare parts.  The reality is that the best kits have been built into rifles by now.  What is left are the dregs, generally speaking.  Meaning that those remaining kits will have ugly worn or replacement furniture, a lousy barrel, corroded bolt, missing selector, and so on.

Photo of a Transitional parts set, obviously overseas since the lower receiver is intact.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Port is auction # 700080676
Guat is auction # 699999528

TONS OF PICS.
No affiliation to the seller.
View Quote
These are the AR10 / .308 ARs I want!

Why can't any companies make them like this anymore?  I despise .308 AR variants with rails, and that all weigh 10 + lbs.  

Give me a KISS GI type AR10 any day!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I saw a picture of an M-16 next to an AR-10 and they looked like they were almost the exact same length.  The AR-10 receiver couldn't have been more than a fraction of an inch longer despite being built as a 7.62mm receiver while the M-16's is for 5.56.  From what I understand, the buffers and tubes are a lot beefier on the real AR-10s.  It'd be nice to see someone revive and develop the AR-10, especially since there are so many different 7.62mm AR types out there, anyways.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top