BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Right, but let me modify that statement a bit. Knights DOES have the ability AND the experience in dealing with the Stoner system, but it would be a LOT more! Mr. Knight does not do anything without a healthy profit margin.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As far as barrel twists, they are all 1/7 and chambered in 5.56mm.

View Quote
What were the original barrel twist rates?  It is my understanding that the correct ammo for the Stoner, back in the day, was a 75 or 77 gr. round.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What were the original barrel twist rates?  It is my understanding that the correct ammo for the Stoner, back in the day, was a 75 or 77 gr. round.
View Quote
original twist were 1-12

NWM did create some barrels for the Stoner 63A with 1 turn in 200mm when it was decided that the 55gr tracer was not tracing far enough. This contributed to kicking off the entire SS109 development process.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#4]
In all fairness to Mr. Knight, he is in business to make a profit. Knowing what I know now, if I had the means to produce something and sell it for top dollar to provide employment for a lot of people, provide for my family, and amass the collection he has, I would do it, but like Mr. Stoner said, "Timing is everything." and I'm about 40 years too late

We'll keep pushing forth with our venture.  We have a handful of smaller companies helping us. If a larger company steps in, great (but I'm not holding my breath).  Nothing happens quickly in Stoner World.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally.....got a carbine test barrel finished. Have some tweaking to do with the drilling fixtures, but the front sight base drilling fixture was dead nuts on. Problem with using take-off front sight bases on virgin barrels is the drill bit deflects on the barrel. Solution is to use an end mill to cut the grooves making the #0 taper reamer's job easier. That or weld up the holes in the bayonet lugs and fsbs and re-drill them. I'll opt for the end mill and do math. It adds a couple extra steps to the set up process. This is so much easier with AR barrels (the shop has a fixture for those...not the case for Stoner barrels).  To the range Tuesday!

Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Cant wait to see a range report (and perhaps a youtube video)

I so want these to go into production.  MKE, Knights, You guys.  I really, really want one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone heard your plea.They are making triggers. This is so going to happen.

I opened the ejection port on my gun to the full 2.35". Go to range tomorrow.  Yay.  Will bring 55 gr and 62 gr just in case.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
YES..!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Modified the selector so that it's semi auto only. You're welcome.

Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Someone heard your plea.They are making triggers. This is so going to happen.

Prayers have been answered.

Time to save some money.

ka
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Range moved to Saturday or Tuesday. Damn!
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, if this can be made to happen especially with a belt fed option and lots of spare parts and configurations I would probably spend stupid money on one.

May not be willing to step up to belt fed on a semi just due to price but would be in for a configurable carbine. Don’t even care it wouldn’t have modern niceties like a scope mount.

Also it would allow me to get rid of my M96 because, well screw Robinson is all the reason I would need.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
These should be videos, but if not, follow to imgur. I uploaded with sound, but I don't hear anything. At any rate, the carbine barrel worked. I need a slightly stronger ejector spring and or slightly weaker recoil spring.

Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy crap, that's awesome! Excellent work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Fabulous..!!

Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#17]
That's the coolest retro project I've seen yet.  Wish I could afford one, I want it real bad, but kids and bills have immediate priority.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#18]
WaffenUndBier,

I have a 15 year old son who thinks you're just DA-SHIT!!! l He is a HUGE Stoner M63 fan, so he LOVES your project.  I'm a gunsmith myself, and he thinks I should be able to do exactly what you have done... but what you're doing isn't really in my wheelhouse...I'm diminished in my son's eyes:)

All I can say is... WELL DONE SIR!!!  I'm a fan too of both you and the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the kind words all. 3030, I am not a gunsmith. I'm barely a half assed machinist's apprentice (or a hack / monkey with a lathe as the boss likes to say). I break more cutters than I can count. I had to open my own MSC account at the shop to replace what I break. I can't grind a tool to save my life.  Everytime I step in front of a lathe or mill, I have to turn the cranks to remember which axis is which and which way the work or cutter goes when I do.  I've been very lucky.  This would not have happened if I didnt find an 80% receiver, have access to a couple of awesome shops and some great gunsmiths/ gun designers, tool and die guys, and have a lot of people helping me with parts, prints, and samples to go by. It is far from perfect and I still have to figure out the ejection issues. That said, I am very proud of the project and my work on it. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Someone just posted a Stoner 63 documentary video in GD:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Everything-you-ve-EVER-wanted-to-know-about-the-Stoner-63/5-2154726/

I posted a link back here; hope it drums up more interest in your project, OP.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#21]
OP you are my new Hero. Guys like you make arf worth it. Also, i will buy one of these if you make it that far. But im more onterested in the beltfed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks. Met up with a buddy who made dies for the receiver. He showed me a couple of receivers he made from flat sheet metal. Absolutely awesome..He's applying to ATF for 80% approval. Meanwhile, I rescue carbine front sight bases and bayonet lugs from US Gubmint atrocities.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh man, I have that twitch in my left butt cheek that tells me this thread is going to cost me some money

I would love to put one of these together some day, you have done some amazing work!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks. Re: buttcheek sensations,  I always liked the Adam West interview for the original Batman movie where Catwoman causes curious stirrings under his utility belt. Speaking of, here are some rescued and freshly sandblasted barrel extensions going for magnetic particle inspection. Curious stirrings.......

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks. Met up with a buddy who made dies for the receiver. He showed me a couple of receivers he made from flat sheet metal. Absolutely awesome..He's applying to ATF for 80% approval. Meanwhile, I rescue carbine front sight bases and bayonet lugs from US Gubmint atrocities.  http://i.imgur.com/Du3nLNV.jpg
View Quote
Ooooooohh. You have my interest............not that this thread didn't already.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Sweet! Following
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks. Met up with a buddy who made dies for the receiver. He showed me a couple of receivers he made from flat sheet metal. Absolutely awesome..He's applying to ATF for 80% approval. Meanwhile, I rescue carbine front sight bases and bayonet lugs from US Gubmint atrocities.  http://i.imgur.com/Du3nLNV.jpg
View Quote
Sad that our government felt the need to destroy these guns.

Does anyone know how many the military actually bought?

How many in total were made by Cadilac Gauge?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Sgt. Hatred Zteve probably answer those questions. I'm spitballing with about 3500 made and 3000 destroyed by the gov't.  Speaking of I recently spent a lot of hours removing the majority of these front sight bases and bayonet lugs from some very stubborn sections of demilled barrels. Many pins and components were rust welded in place. No amount of soaking, heating and beating would budge them.. I had to core drill the majority of the pins and some of the components actually required a 20-ton press to press them off.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#31]
WaffenUndBier , I have been following this project since the beginning and am amazed at what you have accomplished. Best project ever posted here in retroland.
But now I have to ask this Q. With all the separate "entities" involved,,, de-milled parts acquisitions,,, new parts being manufactured,,, time invested by each of the entities involved,,,,etc. Any idea how much a finished "working" model will cost for those folks interested in purchasing one?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#32]
We are still going back and forth about that. All of the subcontractors have to understand that they need to make quality components at reasonable prices, otherwise their parts won't sell. Others who make them for less will sell them.  Although we have some connections with at least four  major US manufacturers who have the interest and ability to bring together the parts and assemble and distribute them as complete weapons, that is far off at this point in time.  I would hope that a belt fed unit would sell for the same price or less than a semi FN M249. A rifle/carbine would be considerably less. There are so many variables but, ball park based on current prices for newly manufactured components (which could be lower based on volume) would be approx.$3500. I have more than double that in my carbine (but it is mostly original Cadillac Gage components). That doesn't count my hours in labor, parts sourcing, etc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We are still going back and forth about that. All of the subcontractors have to understand that they need to make quality components at reasonable prices, otherwise their parts won't sell. Others who make them for less will sell them.  Although we have some connections with at least four  major US manufacturers who have the interest and ability to bring together the parts and assemble and distribute them as complete weapons, that is far off at this point in time.  I would hope that a belt fed unit would sell for the same price or less than a semi FN M249. A rifle/carbine would be considerably less. There are so many variables but, ball park based on current prices for newly manufactured components (which could be lower based on volume) would be approx.$3500. I have more than double that in my carbine (but it is mostly original Cadillac Gage components). That doesn't count my hours in labor, parts sourcing, etc.
View Quote
All things considered that's not a terrible price for what you're offering. I dipped my toes in developing a product for the gun market and I know how crazy it can be to even get a price estimate. I'm out of a job now, but I'm hoping to be able to get one when they become available.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, where is the wait list?  Sign me up

KA
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Until one of fhe guys from the group fires up the website, we have the Stoner 63 Research Consortium on Facebook.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Until one of fhe guys from the group fires up the website, we have the Stoner 63 Research Consortium on Facebook.
View Quote
Is it a private group?

My searching skills must be weak
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#37]
To the powers to be in this post, will these barrels also work in a Rob Arms M96?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you. That is quite a bit less then what I was expecting to hear. Keep up the great work and thanks again for an excellent project write up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To the powers to be in this post, will these barrels also work in a Rob Arms M96?
View Quote
no barrel extension is different
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

no barrel extension is different
View Quote
Figures...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Ian posted yesterday about the Stoner. Not sure if his close-ups provide other angles or views for still-to-be-fabricated parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCNw9Z2Q3T0
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ian posted yesterday about the Stoner. Not sure if his close-ups provide other angles or views for still-to-be-fabricated parts:

View Quote
if you want a bit more detail on the guts and parts required to change configurations you can see more detailed in my video though its boring.

https://youtu.be/-Q3eb0zbBP0
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

if you want a bit more detail on the guts and parts required to change configurations you can see more detailed in my video though its boring.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The music sux...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#44]
It's either a closed or private group. Not sure how to find it. It found me.
I'm not a techie.

As far as videos go, I've heard much worse music.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#45]
you should be able to search for Stoner 63 and the group should come up. Just apply and answer the questions and you will get in.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sent my requests!
I'm no expert web designer but I have been making a few sites for businesses. I could get something up if no one else could.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Ask me the questions, bridge keeper. I'm not afraid.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Emailed for more information.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#49]
This is going to sound really dorky and stupid but I like having 'pieces' of guns that are sometimes unobtainium. But the stoner used S63 links(?), any place that has some available for sale?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is going to sound really dorky and stupid but I like having 'pieces' of guns that are sometimes unobtainium. But the stoner used S63 links(?), any place that has some available for sale?
View Quote
They come up for sale on GB occasionally. They are going up in price but many guns that have been broken in can use M27 links. If you have a left side feed Reed Knight had some feed arms made specifically for the M27 link. They have M27 stamped on them to tell the difference. I have never used S63 links in my gun even though I own a few thousand of them. I have one of Knight's feed arms though. The M27 does grip the round a bit tighter so lubing the links is a good idea before loading them. I use Hornandy One Shot dry case lube on the links before I load them. Factory linked ammo for the US military has a graphite type of lubricant and I have not had an issue with rounds stripping from the new factory linked ammo. My gun is well broken in so it would most likely run without many issues even if I did not lube the links.

You can see the M27 stamped on the feed arm i this picture of my unit.
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top