Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2017 9:58:24 PM EDT
I have two Colt 601's that I have built using all original parts, but on both I used late Colt vp 1/14 barrels.  I finally found what I believe is a Winchester 1/14 barrel to put on my early one, and I am elated.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That is great! Nice find. I don't think I will ever make it to that point of accuracy on my two 601 builds. I would love to see some detail pictures of the whole rifle for motivation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  When you're all done finding unobtanium items please tell us how you find these!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool.  When you're all done finding unobtanium items please tell us how you find these!  
View Quote
    No secret, just LOTS of walking at gun shows and military shows, AND asking the right questions AND luck.  Last year I was at a huge military show,  looking for a green handled 601 bayonet.  After I had walked the whole show, I asked a random knife dealer when was the last time he had seen one.  He said "you mean like the one in my case"?  Somehow I had missed it, and was more than happy to buy his minty bayonet at about half of the going rate.
    This particular barrel was purchased from a parts dealer.  At the last show I inquired if he might have one for sale.  He said "I think I might still have one left".  He was supposed to bring it for me, but he forgot who he was bringing it for, so he just stuck it on his table.  Luckily, I was the first to spot it. He wasn't even sure what it was, just that it had a duckbill.  I lucked into this one at about half price too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice!

Now you can sell me your VP barrel!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Great buy, glad to see that these parts are going to the proper home. Still trying to finish my 601. Keeping an eye out for that elusive upper that nobody seems to be willing to part with (for good reason, bad for me). Congrats!

Edit: we really do need to put together a 601 barrel guide. Mines got an M1 forward of the fsb and a c at the 12 of the receiver extension, which I believe makes it a Colt? Not really too sure as I have heard conflicting info.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Edit: we really do need to put together a 601 barrel guide. Mines got an M1 forward of the fsb and a c at the 12 of the receiver extension, which I believe makes it a Colt? Not really too sure as I have heard conflicting info.
View Quote
Yes, yours is definately a Colt
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice score Tom.....that is fantastic!! How does the bore look or the muzzle gauge?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice score Tom.....that is fantastic!! How does the bore look or the muzzle gauge?
View Quote
The bore is shiny and mint.  I have never gotten around to buying a muzzle gauge, so I do not know how it gauges.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The bore is shiny and mint.  I have never gotten around to buying a muzzle gauge, so I do not know how it gauges.
View Quote
Bill Ricca has a few left for non chrome bore barrels. They are like $25 and saved me from getting some shit barrels in the past.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#13]
This particular barrel was so nice (AND Rare) that I would have purchased it at his price, even if it had a bad muzzle
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Bet you were secretly:

https://media.giphy.com/media/fkD36jhiqzJ9m/giphy.gif

Not the same, but just found a copy of the Hughes book on the M16: only been after a copy (at an affordable price) for about 20 years!!
Has a lot of info. in it on the early barrels & the early genesis of the 5.56 cartridge...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Great SCORE!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very nice!

Now you can sell me your VP barrel!!
View Quote
Well, I went through my spare parts, and I have everything I need to build another 601 except for the elusive NoDak spud dlab side receiver, and an original bolt catch.  So, I will probably use the barrel to build a third 601, UNLESS something really neat comes up for trade . . . . .(I am not soliciting trade offers - that comment is directed at just one member who knows who he is and what he has)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top