Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2017 12:54:54 PM EDT
Period correct? Fair price? Quality? Or should a wait 6-8 months for NDS parts and roll my own?

Eventually want to build or buy a xm177 clone, an Air Force 601 clone and maybe some thing that looks like the AR-10b. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the Troy XM177e2.  I am very pleased.  Its is about as period correct as you can get.  I had the Colt logo etc. added to make it a dead ringer.  Even the teflon finish on the upper and lower is correct.  I am hoping they come out with a M-16 soon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of the Troy XM177e2.  I am very pleased.  Its is about as period correct as you can get.  I had the Colt logo etc. added to make it a dead ringer.  Even the teflon finish on the upper and lower is correct.  I am hoping they come out with a M-16 soon.
View Quote
Weird metal wall inside to not allow third position though. The furniture feels slightly off too
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The one I saw pictures of appeared to be painted (Gunkote?, Cerakote?) gray over black anodizing, with lots of black anodizing bordered by gray overspray showing inside the magazine well and fire control group pocket. The lower receiver was clearly an A2 which was re-cut to resemble an A1, but the machining was very crudely done. I have seen several Retro Forum members' A2 to A1 lower receiver conversions which were done with a Dremel, files and sandpaper that looked A LOT better than Troy's offering.

As far as I recall, other than those negatives, it appeared to be okay. The one I saw pictures of was bought by a Retro Forum member, right when they first became available. Maybe Troy has improved the quality of their product since then.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Im curious about finish as well as I have heard of some saying it was just coating over black anodizing and not very wear resistant. Anybody have first hand experience on it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello.  I haven't been paying too much attention to the Troy carbine threads, there was one review on the retro forum with lots of pictures and you could see where there was incomplete coverage of the lower receiver when the take down pins were popped out.  It looks really nice from a distance, but if details like incomplete coverage and the possibility of the gray painted finish scratching through to black anodizing beneath it is probably not what you want.  I can't find the thread I am thinking of, here is one but I didn't read through it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/New_Troy_XM177E2/123-708193/

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im curious about finish as well as I have heard of some saying it was just coating over black anodizing and not very wear resistant. Anybody have first hand experience on it?
View Quote
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top