Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2017 10:05:19 PM EDT
Completing my latest builds, the XM177 and XM4 that I've posted about recently here and in the A2 forum, I've realized that they may be my last.  It's not so much that I'm quitting, but living in California, the state has made it harder and harder over the years to continue making clones that look somewhat correct.  I'm ok with using 16" barrels instead of 14.5" and other minor things like that, but the hoops needed to jump through to keep a pistol grip, or a flash hider are smaller than ever.  

Boring Personal History: Anyway, with that thought, I realized how long I've been coming to this particular corner of Arfcom.  I started coming here when the only firearm I owned was a bolt action .22 my dad's friend gave me when I was 13.  At the time (2004), I was into Airsoft.  I had been collecting Airsoft rifle for a few years, and always had a penchant for the oddballs.  I came to AR15.com because I was researching the 633.  There was no Airsoft 633, but some real parts of ARs fit on Airsoft ARs.  I ended up getting a guy in Taiwan to machine a DOE sight and plate for me (out of aluminum), and created an Airsoft 633.  

It was about then that I realized that with the money I was spending on airsoft, I could instead be spending on real stuff.  I found an article in some magazine about Tom Liemohn (WATom) and his 607 repro work.  I liked that quite a lot.  The 607 and the 231 were my first builds.

Ten(ish) years later, I don't have the biggest collection, but I'm perfectly ok with that.  I still have a soft spot for odd ducks, and obviously like Carbines over rifles (don't know why).  So I figured it was about time to follow in the footsteps of others around here, and post a family photo.  As I've built up over the years, I realized I have a fair representation of the timeline of the development of the AR Carbine.  It's not complete by any means, but the progression is clear, and that has always been of interest to me.  The years aren't perfect, but are roughly the times that the rifles represent.

Anyway, enough from me.  Thanks for all of the help, advice, tips and tricks, and general abundance of knowledge over the years.  You guys have been a stalwart in my internetting for the past 13 years.  Thank you all, I hope you like the family.

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
A fine looking family you have there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice group of rifles you have assembled.  Well done!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Great collection you have there, but do you really think you can stop? The disease is almost impossible to beat....
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Registration leads to confiscation 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Great collection, especially considering the state of residence.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Great collection, but it looks like you still need aa A1 and a A2 to make the family whole
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow! Very nice family photo. I sure would like to post a pic of my family, but since photo bucket went bye bye, i am now clueless again. I signed up with Flickr, but cant figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome but no 605?      (My favorite)
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice collection.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I am envious. Beautiful!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A fine looking family you have there.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#14]
also, you're going to need a bigger bench
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#15]
That is a fine family you got there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#16]
You have been a busy boy! Very NICE!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
FANTASTIC collection sir!!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Very impressive collection! One of my goals is to have a similar collection showing the progression of the M16 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks folks.

Quoted:
also, you're going to need a bigger bench
View Quote
More than that, I'm going to need a bigger safe.  I'm pretty much maxed out at this point.

Quoted:
Awesome but no 605?      (My favorite)
View Quote
HA! Like I said, it's not a complete representation of EVERY carbine, just a sample across 40 years or so.
The 605 never really did it for me.  It certainly falls into the oddball spectrum, but it just never clicked I guess.

Quoted:
Wow! Very nice family photo. I sure would like to post a pic of my family, but since photo bucket went bye bye, i am now clueless again. I signed up with Flickr, but cant figure it out.
View Quote
I use (and like) Flickr, but their interface is definitely not the best.  I've just grown used to it over the years.  I'd be happy to give you a hand if you'd like.  Let me know.

Quoted:
Registration leads to confiscation 
View Quote
Perhaps, but CA already has a record of every gun I have ever bought.  Registering isn't going to change much on that side of things.

Quoted:
Great collection you have there, but do you really think you can stop? The disease is almost impossible to beat....
View Quote
There are certainly other ARs on my list, specifically I'd like to round out my 9mm with a 635 & 636(esque) upper, but for actual rifles, there are lots of non-AR, non-CA offending things out there that are still of interest for me.  It's not about stopping, it's about shifting focus.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice collection!

Funny that you built a 231, perhaps the most useless "carbine" but don't like a 605. Handle one if you haven't and I bet you change your mind
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Very cool
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Really nice collection man!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top