Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2017 3:18:56 PM EDT
Well, at $67 for a whole set of green retro furniture (in stock) at Brownell's, I ordered.  I may want to make my Carbine clone's slick-side 601 lower and SP1 upper back into a faux-601.  I'll get a pencil barrel next month.  What the heck, these things are like erector sets.  In 30 minutes I can pop the Colt carbine barrel and N stock off, and have my faux 601.  I'll post some pics when I get them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What's it made of????
Fibers or plastics ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In another thread, they said it (the black retro set from Brownell's) was glass filled nylon polymide.....  The Brownells sight just refer's to them as polymer, not plastic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They are probably not going to disclose what all is in the mix, the set I just received feels and looks like it is a poly embedded with glass reinforcement, they look to be good quality reproductions and they fit perfect, nothing seems out of place.  I have the kit on my A4 flattop right now and they look fine and when I build an A1 I will put them on that gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Heck with it!  I'll sell the Colt 6420 1/7" pencil barrel (16") group with shiny Colt 6 hole handguards and the N stock with Colt 4 position tube.  That way I can order the 1/12 pencil barrel and a chrome BCG to go with it.  Check the EE later.  Both will be in used upper.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Email sent
I will look at the sale buy section. Still learning to navigate. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Emailed back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like it's gonna be like a modern stuff, and reinforced. . Cool.
I'm doing one straight brownells build.  No matter what they made of I'll have it.
Over time the parts  will all be here.
Black of course
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was only going to have one AR15, I wanted the retro carbine with a 1/7" twist barrel.  Well, I built a second AR, a mid-length gas system 16" with a 1/8 twist, I really didn't want a second carbine.  My flat top Middy weighs 6 lbs 10 oz. without the TRS-32 red dot.  The retro "slick side" SP1/601 carbine is 6 lbs 6 oz, so it's only 5 oz less than the modern build.  

When I saw the sale on the Brownell's furniture, I decided to get a set.  Since I have my AR180 build with a 1/12" twist, I thought I would go with another 1/12 twist retro build with a 20" barrel.  Since it is a 601 lower and SPi1 upper, I went with the green.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Be sure to post some pics, I look forward to seeing how the green furniture looks on a build.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's it made of????
Fibers or plastics ?
View Quote
The box my handguard came in said it was made from Zytel which is the trade name for nylon (AKA polyamide) from DuPont.  It looks to be a glass filled nylon, which formulation is not known.  They use this in many under the hood automotive applications like intake manifolds.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The box my handguard came in said it was made from Zytel which is the trade name for nylon (AKA polyamide) from DuPont.  It looks to be a glass filled nylon, which formulation is not known.  They use this in many under the hood automotive applications like intake manifolds.
View Quote
Thanks.  I can't wait to see what color the green is.  If it is close to the Testors FS OD green it should be close.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I am practical enough (and old enough) to know that if I chased real 601 stuff, I would be bankrupt and end up selling it off (as I have been know to do..).  The Brownells barrel and stock set, the Fulton Slick side chrome BCG, matched up to my early SP1 upper and NDS 601 lower will make a great faux-601.  If the green is off, I may use Testor's FS OD, or maybe just send it back for black and do a 602.  

One of the main reason's I ordered the green (besides loving 601s), was to see what the color was and share it with the retro brothers.  At $67, I don't mind being the Guinea Pig for the good of the order! LOL.  I may even order a second set in black, just because I can!

Another factor is that I am behind enemy lines in Californication.  That is not conducive to having an expensive 601 clone.   I can run my ARs "featureless" (muzzle brake, fixed stock, and grip wrap) and be able to use a standard mag release and 20 rounders (I am LEO, so I can.  Sucks for others stuck with 10s, I know, but...). or I could register it as an "Assault Weapon" and be stuck with a bullet button and 10 rounders.  I prefer the standard mag release, even if limited to 10 rounders.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I will find out soon.  As well as a green set of the furniture, I ordered a black set.  We will see which I like!  I may even have to build a second retro, LOL.  Notified by Brownell's they shipped today.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Recieved brown stock and pistol grip today. I'm going to pair them up with my NDS proto hand guards.
The Brownells parts are several shades lighter than the NDS handguard.

I'll take a picture if someone can post it for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Recieved brown stock and pistol grip today. I'm going to pair them up with my NDS proto hand guards.

View Quote
You can send them to me at the email listed on my account and I will post for you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I took the plunge as well and ordered a green set for an early retro build.   The green actually looks toooo good...looks brand new from 1959....the stocks and grips I been getting in recently are all kind of "mottled" and I like this look.....but the new retro furniture looks good and appears to be sturdy..

One little note....I ordered the green furniture set but Brownells accidentally sent me a brown pistol grip instead of the green....no big deal....I emailed Brownells and they immediately sent me a green pistol grip at no extra charge and told me to keep the brown grip.......I guess the brown grip will be set aside for a future brown rifle...anyway...kudos to Brownells for making a customer happy..
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Pictures please!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Some store stock we threw on a Fulton Legacy rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Brownells has been kind enough to send us another set for some arctic testing to see how well the plastic holds up in the winter. Going to be a fun test!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pictures please!
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is a picture from USAF-ORF of the brown parts.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for posting this picture for me Dave.
As you folks can see the stock and grip are Brownells. The handguard is a NDS proto type and the Tapco ak mag is just for color reference.

I picked up a 20" inch GM 1/14 barrel. Contemplating on a proto build or early 601.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Funny thing is that on real brown sets, the hand guards never match the grip and stock...
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#24]
My black furniture showed up yesterday. I only have the lower build at the moment. The only thing that I can find that might be annoying is how the butt pad has some slight wiggle to it. Not that big of a deal to me, but for some it might. The hand guards had some flash still on them from the molds, but a quick clean up with a knife or sandpaper will solve that. Otherwise, I certainly can't complain.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My black furniture showed up yesterday. I only have the lower build at the moment. The only thing that I can find that might be annoying is how the butt pad has some slight wiggle to it. Not that big of a deal to me, but for some it might. The hand guards had some flash still on them from the molds, but a quick clean up with a knife or sandpaper will solve that. Otherwise, I certainly can't complain.
View Quote
Once I installed it, I had no wiggle at all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Brown looks better than my green set!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I think I am returning the green set.  I have the black on it, so instead of a 601 it is a 602.  The black sets are REALLY nice!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have the exact same combination. I'm going to try brown Rit dye on the stock and grip. Should work on zytel. Lots of successful past experiences with dying lighter plastic stocks to a darker color. This should also work with dying the green furniture to a more correct darker green.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have the exact same combination. I'm going to try brown Rit dye on the stock and grip. Should work on zytel. Lots of successful past experiences with dying lighter plastic stocks to a darker color. This should also work with dying the green furniture to a more correct darker green.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting idea. I've done it with magpul mags, but they were white. Mixing up the right color green or brown might be hit or miss though...
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I think I may exchange the Green set for a brown set instead of returning it.  Even though I was disappointed with the color on the green Brownell's furniture, I knew that would be difficult for them to match.  I still may get a brown set, though.  I am intrigued with the idea of painting it green with  Testors Dark Green FS 34079.  I have used it before, but the black of the original stock set shown through.  If I use the Brown furniture, it would be perfect.

The key with the Testors is patience.  Repeated VERY light coats, allowed to completely dry between coats.  It should take a week to do it right.  First coat dries 24 hours, second coat 48 hours, and third coat 48 hours, then fourth coat 48 hours.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think I may exchange the Green set for a brown set instead of returning it.  Even though I was disappointed with the color on the green Brownell's furniture, I knew that would be difficult for them to match.  I still may get a brown set, though.  I am intrigued with the idea of painting it green with  Testors Dark Green FS 34079.  I have used it before, but the black of the original stock set shown through.  If I use the Brown furniture, it would be perfect.

The key with the Testors is patience.  Repeated VERY light coats, allowed to completely dry between coats.  It should take a week to do it right.  First coat dries 24 hours, second coat 48 hours, and third coat 48 hours, then fourth coat 48 hours.
View Quote
Try aircdry OD ceracoat
10x more  durable and it's a closer match anyway
When set beside original it is hard to tell. Very
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please post your results.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Try aircdry OD ceracoat
10x more  durable and it's a closer match anyway
When set beside original it is hard to tell. Very
View Quote
Which OD?  Their website list two ODs and a Highland Green.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Some store stock we threw on a Fulton Legacy rifle.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282730/brownells601green-314238.JPG

Brownells has been kind enough to send us another set for some arctic testing to see how well the plastic holds up in the winter. Going to be a fun test!
View Quote
Izzit just the pic, or is the green not accurate?  Is it green all through?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I just got my green set today. I was not impressed, BUT, I put it on anyway to check out the color on my SP1. It looks like a bright pea green to me. As I was putting on the buttstock, I got a bit of dark lithium grease from the spring on the stock and noticed it actually stained. So I rubbed down the whole gun with my very dirty cleaning rag and the stock darkened right up. Looks way better, not the bright green like the pictures on Brownells site, but more looking like the original green or more to the OD green hue. I like this green stock way better now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just got my green set today. I was not impressed, BUT, I put it on anyway to check out the color on my SP1. It looks like a bright pea green to me. As I was putting on the buttstock, I got a bit of dark lithium grease from the spring on the stock and noticed it actually stained. So I rubbed down the whole gun with my very dirty cleaning rag and the stock darkened right up. Looks way better, not the bright green like the pictures on Brownells site, but more looking like the original green or more to the OD green hue. I like this green stock way better now.
View Quote
That sounds awesome, post a pic when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I ordered just the black handguards and pistol grip over the weekend. They must have shipped them via Toyota Prius because I won't get them until late next week, but when they finally show up I'll take pics and let y'all know how decent they are.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#40]
The camera makes them look better than they are.  They are lighter than it shows.

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I just got my handguard and pistol grip in the mail today. Overall they look very well done, although I'm a little disappointed that all the reinforcing areas from the back side of the handguards showed through on the outside.

First, the pistol grip. On the left is my USGI original. The repro is on the right:

The checkering is slightly different, but that's not a big deal since I've seen variations depending on the actual contractor. However the repro is a lot thinner... 1.140" versus 1.250" for the original at their widest points.

The handguard set fits very snugly and without slop, unlike my USGI originals. That had been bugging me, plus I wasn't too crazy about the shiny finish on the originals which is why I ordered the Brownells repros to begin with. The originals are in the middle:

Inside the heat shields lack the small drain holes and L-R markings, and they are held in by some strange-looking rivets or screws with hex heads. I didn't take a driver to them t see if they turn because I didn't want to break them off.

Top and bottom they fit together very well, with just a couple of small gaps. They don't match the contour of the triangular handguard cap as well as the originals, but I'm not complaining since they don't slop around.

Overall I like the improved appearance of the handguard, but after taking these pictures I put the original USGI pistol grip back on because I prefer the added thickness. I may just use the repro on one of my 6920s that has the factory A2 grip with the annoying spike in front.

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's the black set on my 602.  I sent the green back in exchange for a brown set.  I will paint the brown with Testor's FS OD paint.  That way if the green chips or wears off, there will be a more correct brown showing through.  My previous green painted originals (black) looked really lame with black showing through.

Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I must say I am surprised at how well the Brownells black set looks.  I am not a fan of that pistol grip, it just looks weird to me but they can be found relatively cheap.  The handguards & buttstock look really great, way better then I expected to see.  

Too bad the green & brown sets didn't turn out as nice for all of you guys that like them.  I have a feeling Brownells will be selling quite a few of these black stock sets.  Who knows they may even redo the pistol grip to make them look a little more original (doubt it).  

What I am happy to see is that the handguards aren't just plain black like I figured they would be.  You can see the grain lines going down them and some other character marks that the originals have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I ordered a black butt stock for one of my rifles since I like the A1 length and the looks of the solid butt "plate". Is the butt stock foam inside or just hollow? Is the butt plate a rubber material?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Hollow.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I just got my handguard and pistol grip in the mail today. Overall they look very well done, although I'm a little disappointed that all the reinforcing areas from the back side of the handguards showed through on the outside.
View Quote
Hello dsk.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I have seen several original hand guards that have the same visible reinforcing areas.  Those look pretty good to me, the bottom contour at the slip ring end is a little more square looking than the original pair.

ETA: The stock looks really nice too, what does that butt pad look like?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Butt pad mimics the original VERY closely.
Update, Brownell's has shipped me a brown set to replace the fugly green.  I've got Testor's FS34079 paint coming, too.  That's what I used on my last painted faux-601 stock set.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ETA: The stock looks really nice too, what does that butt pad look like?
View Quote
The stock on mine is a USGI M16A1 type. I'm holding off buying a non-trapdoor stock for now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
technical question on the buttstock: is this one made from stronger plastic than the old A1's?  I like the A1 length and have an original A1 installed on a modern rifle that sports a fixed stock, but I have always been leery about the brittle plastic. Is this new material as strong as the A2 plastic?
View Quote
One that I ordered arrived already scuffed on one side, so it appears to be less durable in that regard.  However, it probably is much less likely to crack or chip than an original A1.  It's less brittle.

I asked Brownells whether the stock could be baked, as for Moly Resin, Cerakote, etc., but they never replied.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top