Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 1:13:47 AM EDT
I finished two builds this past week, and got a chance to take some photos this evening.

One is this, my midlength XM177.   (The other is my XM4)

This build has been a LOOONG time coming.  The seed started out more like a sapling.  Our retro brother Morg308 was hard up at one point, and selling off things he didn't really want to.  Many of us have been there.  Among them was the stuff he had started collecting to make a midlength XM177.  I wanted to help him out, and had been thinking about starting an XM myself.  I'm looking back at my records now, and am ashamed at the steal I got.

The Kit from Morg308 was as follows:
  • Palmetto 16" Midlength 1/7 Barrel
  • RRA Midlength Handguards
  • Handguard Cap
  • Colt, non-F marked FSB
  • Field Expedient Sling
  • Brick XM Moderator
  • Slip Ring Assembly

I'm afraid I failed to note who I got the Late 604 Upper, and the Vinyl Acetate stock from, but I'm sure it was one of you folks.

The rest is as follows:
  • NDS A1 Lower - Nodak (naturally)
  • Colt 2 Position Buffer Tube (Came with N1 Stock which got used elsewhere) - EBay - Bruceantho
  • Early Colt H&R BCG - Landman303
  • Colt A1 Grip - CDenmark
  • Replacement Midlength PSA Handguards - BuffetDestroyer
  • No Tick Selector - BoyWonder777
  • Barrel chopping, FSB Mounting, Moderator pinning/welding, etc. - jntmjt1
  • DPMS LPK - Midway

A big Thank You to all of the Arfcommers that contributed to this, and all of my other projects over the years.  I couldn't have done it without you (and your disease)!
And a particular thanks to John Thomas for his stellar work, as always.  He took care of this and my XM4 barrel at the same time, and had everything shipped back at lightning speed.  Everything is beautifully finished, and I couldn't be happier with his work. (As always)

And a very special thanks to Morg for being a pillar of the community and one of the first people to answer my questions when I first should up here back in the stone age.  You're a good man, and I hope I did right by you with this.

I have an Oxford sight I'd like to get mounted on it sometime, and am working on getting the mount made from a Weaver 60 I got a while back, but that'll have to wait.  I'm heading to the range in the morning to sight in it, as well as the XM4 and my recently built Izzy FAL.

Enough blabbing, ON WITH THE PHOTOS!

The full gallery with more and larger photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nduguid/sets/72157689112092075

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!
And inspirational.  I have a pile of similar parts laying under a desk here.  I really should buy a mod and put one of those together!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice work! It really looks sharp as a mid-length.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice! I remember making up that sling (and at least 4 others for Morg.)  He's the only one so far that requested "coyote brown" para cord be used..
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had this idea rolling around in my brain for years -- and here you've built and got pictures of one of my dream guns.

Nice build!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Outstanding! I'm glad to see the parts went to good use! That is exactly what I was envisioning... except for a fixed stock. Great job!

I haven't had time for any builds lately - my 3rd book, (another WWII thriller) will be coming out next weekend, I hope. I just finished my 4th novel, (literary fiction) and am hard at work on #5 and #6. I would love the support of the retro community in launching 'Eagle's Claw' — please email me if you want to be notified when it comes out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Range Day! I didn't have a ton of time, so I just got them on paper and shooting straight.  I think the 177's barrel got twisted, canting the FSB a bit when I mounted it, because I had to drive the windage all the way left.  I'll probably take it apart and try again just to be sure.

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Range Day! I didn't have a ton of time, so I just got them on paper and shooting straight.  I think the 177's barrel got twisted, canting the FSB a bit when I mounted it, because I had to drive the windage all the way left.  I'll probably take it apart and try again just to be sure.
View Quote
Be sure to have a real good look at the rear sight aperture, I had one earlier this year that was drilled poorly and caused a similar problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4399/36433067854_4090634cec_b.jpg
View Quote
That really is a fine-looking weapon! I like the XM4 too. I'd like to build another fixed stock, A2/M4 someday.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
that reminds me I have the 635 he sold off then got it up and running nice just need to get the tax stamp so I can put the stock on it 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful build!  Glad to see some of my spare parts getting some use!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top