Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2017 8:01:45 PM EDT

Everything is Colt, except the NDS stripped 601 lower, the Strike Featureless grip and Cavalry Arms A1 style muzzle brake. (and the Magpul PMag, of course).

The barrel is a 1/7 twist 6420 pencil barrel, and the tube is a current production Colt 4 position with Colt H Buffer and spring.  Stock is "N" Fiberite, shiny Colt 6 hole hand guards, and Colt M16 BCG and charging handle, and all Colt lower parts....  Until I built my mid-lenght 1/8 twist flat top with red dot, it was my home/ranch defense carbine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks better than I thought it would and that's a compliment. When one uses the word "California compliant" not very flattering images come to mind and that looks good. How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks better than I thought it would and that's a compliment. When one uses the word "California compliant" not very flattering images come to mind and that looks good. How does it shoot?
View Quote
Thanks.  From the bench, it shoots about 1.5 MOA with MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTMs.  M193 is about 1.5 to 2.0 MOA.  It actually shoots a little better than my 16" Middy build, but I use a Bushnell TRS-32 red dot on it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I dig the retro carbine, nice build. It's good to see that our brothers behind the lines can still enjoy retro goodness 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Nice job finding a brake that from a distance looks a heck of a lot like a birdcage FH
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks,  It is a CAV-Comp brake.  I have them on my AR180, my SP1 Carbine clone, and my mid-length M4gery.  Nice thing is my Colt mfg. M16 bayonet still fits the AR180 and the M9 bayonet fits the Middy.  They are identical dimensions to the M16a1 and A2 FH.  Best thing is, only $27!

CAV-Comp FH look a like
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My retro AK, California style....  I have Russian orange bakelites for it, too.  Stock pinned so it won't fold, but with the fin grip, my thumb goes up between the struts and it handles almost as good as without the fin.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
In my experience, some of the uglier options handle significantly better than grip fins
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Hammer head grips work well on carbines, where you can grab over the top. Even with Monsterman and fin grips, on a carbine, the thumb can go over the top of the fin.  On rifles with full stocks, the best thing in an Exile Machine back fin on a Magpul MIAD grip like I have on my AR180 build.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The erector set syndrome strikes again!  Since I have the flat top 1/8" twist middy, my SP1 Carbine clone will become a 20" faux 601 (or 602 if I don't like the green of the Brownell's 601 set).  Change barrel groups and stock groups, and I am set (i'm even getting a chrome, slick side BCG for it).

Hopefully it will look as good as my 2010/2011 effort.

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful rifle! Faux 601 is my next build. Please post pics of the new Brownell's furniture, I have high hopes for the green set.  I have posted this before but will again: I have more than several modern ARs tricked out will all the lastest and greatest bells and whistles but I always reach for my A1 rifle, 723 or 727 clone.  Most of the time, it's the A1 rifle clone.  Just something about the early configurations that seems perfect.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle! Faux 601 is my next build. Please post pics of the new Brownell's furniture, I have high hopes for the green set.  I have posted this before but will again: I have more than several modern ARs tricked out will all the lastest and greatest bells and whistles but I always reach for my A1 rifle, 723 or 727 clone.  Most of the time, it's the A1 rifle clone.  Just something about the early configurations that seems perfect.
View Quote
I too want to see pix of the new green furniture from Brownells
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top