Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2017 7:18:54 PM EDT
I might do a 608, IF I start to acquire the parts for one. I am wondering about if there is an end plate to capture the takedown spring and detent, and how the buffer tube interfaces with said end plate. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there's an end plate, I think the hole for the takedown pin detent is threaded, and a small set screw is put in to hold everything in place.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no end plate (at least on most of them... I did find one picture that looked like it could have -possibly- had a thin sheet metal end plate).  

There is a small roll pin installed across the hole for the detent and spring.  Pic below:

John Thomas

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
BINGO! John knows his 608's. As far as I can tell, it is the only one with this type of pinned setup.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, now does the roll pin completely go through the entire width of the lower at that point? Does it stop once it reaches the "depression" in the back of the lower where the end plate's alignment tab goes? I assume it only goes into the "depression," to allow the roll pin to be driven out to make any needed repairs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at John's picture. The lower gets drilled through the side of the spring and pin channel. The roll pin only has to make it into the side of the channel to stop the spring from sliding back out. Once it is in there, it is pretty much in there for good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at John's picture. The lower gets drilled through the side of the spring and pin channel. The roll pin only has to make it into the side of the channel to stop the spring from sliding back out. Once it is in there, it is pretty much in there for good.
View Quote
The pin is removable.  When you drive it further inward, it comes out in the recess that is cut in the rear of the receiver.  The recess in the receiver that I'm referring to is the round cut that is designed to interface with the protrusion at the bottom, front face of the buttstock.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks John, now it is my turn to ask. I had always assumed that you drill through the outer receiver and then inserted a roll pin long enough to bottom out against the back wall of the receiver. Are you saying that the pin does not need to be that long?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks John, now it is my turn to ask. I had always assumed that you drill through the outer receiver and then inserted a roll pin long enough to bottom out against the back wall of the receiver. Are you saying that the pin does not need to be that long?
View Quote
The pin is .250" long.  If you take a look at the rear face of a lower receiver, you'll see exactly how it works.  When you want to remove the pin, you drive it in deeper and that circular cutout in the back of the receiver "catches" the roll pin and you can then dump it right out.

JT
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The pin is .250" long.  If you take a look at the rear face of a lower receiver, you'll see exactly how it works.  When you want to remove the pin, you drive it in deeper and that circular cutout in the back of the receiver "catches" the roll pin and you can then dump it right out.

JT
View Quote
Genius!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Going to ask for more pin detail. .250 long, how big of a diameter? How far in from the end is it drilled?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump hopping  for an answer...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top