Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2017 9:54:03 PM EDT
Starting on my 654 build. Just got my slickside SP1 upper in today and am looking at barrels.

The best choice, and pretty much only choice, is the brownells retro 14.7 barrel. It's 1/12, which is correct but I would like to stick with 1/7 as all my rifles are. Technically this would move my rifle into GUU-5/P territory, but whatevs. I haven't found a source for any 14.7 carbine lightweight barrels suitable for the project aside from the brownells. What is everyone else using? (No SBR and 16" barrels look absolutely hideous, as well as extended flash hiders).

I guess my only other options really are just cutting down a 16", but I won't have the widened area behind the flash hider. Would like to see pics of barrels you've had cut down.

Spank you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in the same boat and ended up having a 16" colt cut down.  I made a flared washer for under the flash hider lock washer that mimicked the original flare on the barrel.

John Thomas did the chop and re-thread and parked the washers.  He informed me that he also has these washers a available.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut down and recontour a ban era Colt barrel with a nuetered muzzle.  I have observed a couple examples sell for under $100 on Gunbroker recently.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Starting on my 654 build. Just got my slickside SP1 upper in today and am looking at barrel

I guess my only other options really are just cutting down a 16", but I won't have the widened area behind the flash hider. Would like to see pics of barrels you've had cut down.

Spank you.
View Quote

Here you go.
This is a SP1 16.25" Carbine Barrel that I cut down to 14.50"
Yea, I do miss the little flair being cut off.  I didn't try the dummy flair washer, because I didn't want to cover up the last few letters of "CMP CHROME BORE"
I have Colt 14.25" Carbine barrel for a future project that I'm going to try adding .25" to the back of the flash hider, before pinning and welding.

The missing flair isn't too noticeable from a few feet away
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cut down and recontour a ban era Colt barrel with a nuetered muzzle.  I have observed a couple examples sell for under $100 on Gunbroker recently.
View Quote
Great minds, etc. I bought this one not too long ago with plans to use it for either a XM177E2 or GAU-5/A/A build. (I haven't decided whether I want a forward assist or not. )

It's a ban-era 6530 Sporter Lightweight barrel that has a neutered muzzle (which will get chopped anyway) and the FSB has already been neutered.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Here you go.
This is a SP1 16.25" Carbine Barrel that I cut down to 14.50"
Yea, I do miss the little flair being cut off.  I didn't try the dummy flair washer, because I didn't want to cover up the last few letters of "CMP CHROME BORE"
I have Colt 14.25" Carbine barrel for a future project that I'm going to try adding .25" to the back of the flash hider, before pinning and welding.

http://i.imgur.com/k5knFRv.jpg

The missing flair isn't too noticeable from a few feet away
http://i.imgur.com/wQ9z3Ceh.jpg
View Quote
  Not to derail the thread but what is that sling wire thingy through the front sight called and where did you get it? I could use a few of those.                                                                                                                                           
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Green Mountain Barrels as well...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
  Not to derail the thread but what is that sling wire thingy through the front sight called and where did you get it? I could use a few of those.                                                                                                                                           
View Quote
Top sling adapters.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m16topslingadapter-lotof1.aspx

If you only need a couple Email me your address I have a few I keep moving around on my work bench.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Several months ago I petitioned Brownells on there ar15.com page to start making a 14.7 1/7 barrel.
At the time they where busy with there Blemed barrel recalls.
They did reply that they will talk about it after they had these barrel problems fixed.
I feel that if we ask them again we may have a good chance of getting it produced.
I'd buy thee to five myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Top sling adapters.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m16topslingadapter-lotof1.aspx

If you only need a couple Email me your address I have a few I keep moving around on my work bench.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer! I did find them at Sarco and ordered 6 the other day. 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#11]
How and where do you get your barrels shortened? Special process?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How and where do you get your barrels shortened? Special process?
View Quote
John Thomas, Retro Arms Works.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top