Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 10:06:12 PM EDT
I picked up this upper with BCG, stock, spring and buffer today at the gun show. I want to use it as a start to a retro build but what version exactly? The BCG obviously doesn't belong to the upper so what should I do?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a xm16e1 upper with wrong bcg, bonus edgewater buffer possible c stock. Nice score! So you have a xm16e1 project. U would need a partial fence lower and a very hard to find chrome carrier with serrations.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I realized the lack of FA scales on the BC later on.  Oh well.

This is the first time I've actually tried to do a retro build. ANy suggestions on where to go with it next? What lower etc...?

EDIT: I see your edits above. Thanks.

Are the non serrated chrome carriers less rare than the ones with serrations?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The correct carrier will be hard to find, but you have a damn fine collection of parts there.

Square forge 603 uppers are damn hard to come by anymore
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The correct carrier will be hard to find, but you have a damn fine collection of parts there.

Square forge 603 uppers are damn hard to come by anymore
View Quote

It is in exceptional shape it seems, very little wear inside.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Just in case it wasn't already clear:

That was an AWESOME retro score!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I second that, very nice

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I second that, very nice

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I second that, very nice

Quoted:

Thanks guys. Not that I would or will (I'm going to build a rifle out of it) but what do you think an overall sale price of these parts should be ballpark if I were to list them?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks guys. Not that I would or will (I'm going to build a rifle out of it) but what do you think an overall sale price of these parts should be ballpark if I were to list them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I second that, very nice

Quoted:

Post in the tacked appraisal thread
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I second that, very nice

Quoted:

Oh ya, forgot about that place. Sorry, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Why did they change the retaining pin design as well as the firing pin? These retro parts seem better than the following new style. They just seem more refined.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why did they change the retaining pin design as well as the firing pin? These retro parts seem better than the following new style. They just seem more refined.
View Quote

The newer retaining pin works just as well, and is cheaper to make. The older firing pin is heavier, and will occasionally cause slam-fires if you manually load a round into the chamber and release the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The newer retaining pin works just as well, and is cheaper to make. The older firing pin is heavier, and will occasionally cause slam-fires if you manually load a round into the chamber and release the bolt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh  those are darn good reasons.

I had never seen one of these old pins in person. It really is massive. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think I've ever seen a square-forge XM upper that clean before.  That's a really nice score ... I spy 2 builds--an XM16E1 and a 601/602 build down the road for that BCG!  All we get at the LGS these days are over-priced Tacticool stuff, beef jerky and beanie babies
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I personally think breakage is less with the new FP design - it's essentially a spring, instead of being a 'shear pin'. I think it's a huge improvement. Also, agree with what Pro2ndAm and Stahlgewehr762 posted.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:46:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't think I've ever seen a square-forge XM upper that clean before.  That's a really nice score ... I spy 2 builds--an XM16E1 and a 601/602 build down the road for that BCG!  All we get at the LGS these days are over-priced Tacticool stuff, beef jerky and beanie babies
View Quote

Yes, I'm looking at it right now. Barely any wear. Man... this is gonna cost me, I can see that now.

I don't know what the reason is but the show this time was great. My dad and I were pretty much given up on the LGSs but decided to go. We went to the one in Topeka, KS and it was like a time machine. It was like what I recall in the early 90s. There was tons of stuff and the prices were really decent. We had a blast.

Not much wear inside.

Literally only one tiny scratch externally, barely visible right in front of the FA where it joins the upper.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#16]
You just don't see really nice uppers like that anymore. You've got some really fine parts there, seriously.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:30:37 AM EDT
[#17]
How about some pics of the handguard's heat shields, and a side view of the gas tube while the handguards are off? We're trying to see if they're "no-drain hole" handguards and an "early-bend" gas tube. Both would be correct for this upper. Also check to see if the gas tube is magnetic or not.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#18]
It appears all original, rear sight assembly with dimpled screw, it should have an early bend gastube, type C handgaurds, It surely looks like a very early XM16E1 upper with the rebate under the port door, nice edgewater buffer, thats a D stock from what I can tell from the one picture. The bonus about the BCG is it's all original 601 with fathead firingpin and chrome retainer. HUGE SCORE
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a hell of a time getting that ring to move.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Tube is non magnetic from what I can tell with a weak ass kitchen magnet clip thing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#21]

mancow,  That is a really sweet Upper Half you have there.  FANTASTIC SCORE.  

Just the Upper Receiver alone is amazing.

I don't think I read it in the thread, so can I ask what you paid for your Kit?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

thanks

$480 for everything.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

thanks

$480 for everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

$480 for everything.

I hate you so much

Congrats on an amazing score, with a little trading you can make yourself a hell of a XM16E1  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I hate you so much

Congrats on an amazing score, with a little trading you can make yourself a hell of a XM16E1  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

$480 for everything.

I hate you so much

Thanks, I'm gonna need some guidance though. I've never tried to build a retro. I've only bought complete.

If it were you what would you be looking for in a lower?

It looks like I need a D stock according to this page but I have a C?

What would you do about a BCG? Indications are it's an early upper and may have originally had a chrome group but possibly could have had parked parts if my reading is correct. Would you hold out for the elusive appropriate original chrome BGC or go with an aftermarket, or maybe just parked?

All I know now is this **** is addictive. I now understand the whole picker collector appeal. All I want to do now is dig through the country side looking for more parts. I'm hooked!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'm gonna need some guidance though. I've never tried to build a retro. I've only bought complete.

What would you do about a BCG? Indications are it's an early upper and may have originally had a chrome group but possibly could have had parked parts if my reading is correct. Would you hold out for the elusive appropriate original chrome BGC or go with an aftermarket, or maybe just parked?

All I know now is this **** is addictive. I now understand the whole picker collector appeal. All I want to do now is dig through the country side looking for more parts. I'm hooked!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

$480 for everything.

I hate you so much

Order an NDS Partial Fence lower immediately.

Start collecting Colt lower parts. (And a wine colored buffer)

Run a parkerized bolt until you find a suitable commercial chrome or the ever elusive XM16E1 Chrome Carrier.

I don't know if your your stock is a "C" or "D" but that upper is almost as rare as the carrier you need for it!

OUTSTANDING DEAL! WE ALL ENVY YOU!

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually that buffer is correct, but not everyone wants to use a $200 buffer that you can't see from the exterior and has its reasons why it was replaced.

That said I have one in my 602 that I leave in when I shoot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice find, thanks for posting pictures.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#28]

You have the correct "no drain hole" handguards AND the "early bend" gas tube. The earliest "early bend" gas tubes were carbon steel, and therefore are magnetic, while the later "early bend" tubes were stainless steel. I seem to recall reading here that the early stainless tubes still have a weak magnetic attraction; can someone verify or correct this?

Everything is in just amazing condition. It really doesn't get much better than this, here in Retroland.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You have the correct "no drain hole" handguards AND the "early bend" gas tube. The earliest "early bend" gas tubes were carbon steel, and therefore are magnetic, while the later "early bend" tubes were stainless steel. I seem to recall reading here that the early stainless tubes still have a weak magnetic attraction; can someone verify or correct this?

Everything is in just amazing condition. It really doesn't get much better than this, here in Retroland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have one that will hold a magnet in place while holding it verticle and another that isn't as magnetic and it slides and falls off. Guess it depends on the gastube...

This Carbon Steel Early Bend is so magnetic, I can pick it up with the magnet in the picture.

Type C stocks have sling swivels that are NOT rubber coated, have thin walls around where the buffertube slides in and there isn't a straw hole in the nub that fits into the lower except on late Type C's. If you take a few pics of the underside and the front, we can tell you if it's a C or D. Looks like a D to me but the picture isn't that great.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have one that will hold a magnet in place while holding it verticle and another that isn't as magnetic and it slides and falls off. Guess it depends on the gastube...

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/_20150528_123426.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/_20150528_123426.jpg</a>

This Carbon Steel Early Bend is so magnetic, I can pick it up with the magnet in the picture.

Type C stocks have sling swivels that are NOT rubber coated, have thin walls around where the buffertube slides in and there isn't a straw hole in the nub that fits into the lower except on late Type C's. If you take a few pics of the underside and the front, we can tell you if it's a C or D. Looks like a D to me but the picture isn't that great.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/_20150528_123426.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/_20150528_123426.jpg</a>

Here are some more pics of the stock:

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Man you won the lottery those are some very rare valuable parts. If you ever want to sell the upper minus barrel let me know.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#32]
What state are you in op?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kansas.  Why, what's up?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Build it with the BCG, but be looking for the right one. I'd be interested in the BCG if you find the correct one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Type D.
That is an overall beautiful bunch of parts, and you definitely scored a great price.  Congrats!
Keep watching for the correct BCG.  It'll be very satisfying when you finally find one!
View All Quotes

So it has the correct stock (type D). It makes me wonder what the deal is with the non assist BCG and how it got in the mix but I'll probably just run it until a proper one is found.

I really want a lower BAD now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, nice score mancow. You made out like a bandit at 480.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn, nice score mancow. You made out like a bandit at 480.
View Quote

Thanks. I wish I had asked him if he had a source for any others but I was so excited at the time I couldn't think straight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks. I wish I had asked him if he had a source for any others but I was so excited at the time I couldn't think straight.
View Quote

I would have been stupidly excited too. That is an exceptional upper and parts you have!
In case you haven't realized it by now, that is a great score!

I'd certainly say you should figure out what you want to build and get the lower ordered as soon as possible.
Personally, I'd get an aftermarket BCG for the time being and put that nice early one aside for a different build.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#40]

mancow,  Like I said in my earlier post, FANTASTIC SCORE, ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL !!!

In my opinion, for you to build an M16E1, all you really need is the following parts:

1)  NoDakSpud M16E1 Partial Fence Lower Receiver
2)  Colt M16E1 Chrome BCG, but until you find one of those, I probably go with something like the Fail Zero NiB BCG (no markings to show thru Ejection Port)
3)  A nice Wine Colored Buffer.  Save that Edgewater Buffer, or, Trade it off for a Colt M16E1 BCG
4)  A GOOD Lower Parts Kit
5)  Some good ole Colt 20rd mags.
6)  an M14 Nylon "Seatbelt" Sling

Once you have the Rifle built then you can go to the range, and give us some more pic's and a Range Report.

Good Luck to you, and will be looking forward to your updates.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I would have been stupidly excited too. That is an exceptional upper and parts you have!

I'd certainly say you should figure out what you want to build and get the lower ordered as soon as possible.
Personally, I'd get an aftermarket BCG for the time being and put that nice early one aside for a different build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I will build an XM16E1 type. I will order a NDS once they start making them again. I agree about the BCG. I will slap a regular on in it for the time being.

BTW, I took it out this morning and put it on a FA lower . She was nuts on accurate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted by mancow:
I guess I will build an XM16E1 type. I will order a NDS once they start making them again
View Quote

I would suggest that you call NDS, TODAY, and find out if they are making them to order, or in small lots.

And get on their "Waiting List" NOW !!!

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I would suggest that you call NDS, TODAY, and find out if they are making them to order, or in small lots.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted by mancow:
I guess I will build an XM16E1 type. I will order a NDS once they start making them again

Just called and got on the list. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Kansas.  Why, what's up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kansas.  Why, what's up?

I missed the Local MI show, just wanted to make sure I really didn't miss out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Despite all the gun show bashing on Arfcom, that's the reason I still go. You never know when you're going to find a treasure. Nice score.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:36:37 AM EDT
[#46]
She runs well.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:01:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Type D.
That is an overall beautiful bunch of parts, and you definitely scored a great price.  Congrats!
Keep watching for the correct BCG.  It'll be very satisfying when you finally find one!
View All Quotes

I found one (603 BC), put the 601 bolt in it, and I got a dimpled pivot, so I'm on the way....
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top