User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
...The Harley was a 2002 better than new and only had 7,600 miles on it. I feel like I came out way ahead on this trade because
I'm still alive and have all my limbs. The AR15 is looking better all the time

Well we aren't going to live forever.  Guessing the H-D was the bone that made the deal. Sounds like other party got the better deal.  Time will tell.  2002 Electra was what $20K all brandy new?   I've also kinda quit the 100 mph cruises myself.  Came with not drinking.  Not a drink or even a sip  in 2 1/2 yrs.  Still want one too.  All the Kings horses and all the Kings men!  My highly modified 04 Sportster runs 11's in 1/4 and last time I took it out I got 50 mpg on crap gas.  Never turned it over 3K RPM for 100 miles and used a whole 2 gallon of fuel.  LEO's every time I went to get on it,  so I didn't.  Have a 210 main in it.  Riding hard about 30-33 mpg and it wheelies in 3rd gear like a dirt bike.  Really a whole lot of fun at times.  Would hate to go down.  Been riding upright for over 30 years.

On the BCG I'd like to see or you can tell me if FP retainer is parkerized or chrome,  machined or just the cotter pin style?  The bit I could see almost looked parked and machined.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...The Harley was a 2002 better than new and only had 7,600 miles on it. I feel like I came out way ahead on this trade because
I'm still alive and have all my limbs. The AR15 is looking better all the time

Well we aren't going to live forever.  Guessing the H-D was the bone that made the deal. Sounds like other party got the better deal.  Time will tell.  2002 Electra was what $20K all brandy new?   I've also kinda quit the 100 mph cruises myself.  Came with not drinking.  Not a drink or even a sip  in 2 1/2 yrs.  Still want one too.  All the Kings horses and all the Kings men!  My highly modified 04 Sportster runs 11's in 1/4 and last time I took it out I got 50 mpg on crap gas.  Never turned it over 3K RPM for 100 miles and used a whole 2 gallon of fuel.  LEO's every time I went to get on it,  so I didn't.  Have a 210 main in it.  Riding hard about 30-33 mpg and it wheelies in 3rd gear like a dirt bike.  Really a whole lot of fun at times.  Would hate to go down.  Been riding upright for over 30 years.

On the BCG I'd like to see or you can tell me if FP retainer is parkerized or chrome,  machined or just the cotter pin style?  The bit I could see almost looked parked and machined.

It is parkerized.
As for as the deal, equity wise the other party probalby came out a little ahead. I think a good deal is when both people are happy with what they got, we are both happy so i guess it was a good deal. A super nice AR, a nice SS mini 14, a nice SS mini 30, all with scopes and 1600 Rounds, for a scootter I didn't want anymore. Good enough for me.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I think a good deal is when both people are happy with what they got, we are both happy

Exactly right and it could easily turn out to be even sweeter down the road.  H-D's just depreciate now days and maintenance is a big routine if you're gonna ride it much.  Sticky tires only last 5K and are last months used retro upper priced at a minimum.  I've definately enjoyed the post and pics.  I always learn something new with the early number pieces.  Think you know whats supposed to be in one and then surprise.  Very nice rifle.  Hope it shoots great if you decide to fire it.  

Gas tube usually tells the story on being fired or not.  Especially a nice early tube like yours.  Does a magnet stick to the gas tube by chance?  If so moisture could cause a little internal rust.  A couple shots of CLP and a pipe cleaner would tell you something possibly about it's history with or without powder residue..  Also if shooting at least cut a piece of electrical tape to cover the square pad on that early port door so it doesn't get scratched up.  Think I'd put something on the side just in case brass hits it also.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Today I physically checked the barrel and it is a 1in14" twist,no doubt about it. Now what do you want me to do.LOL
More pictures of the BC and the scopes. The Colt scope I bought used in the mid 80's at a gunshow
and the Tasco came on this AR.I guess your going to talk me into shooting this thing. I have 11 other guns that have never been fired and I bought these new
so I know.

Hey, don't let me talk you into shooting it!  (Although it's obvious that you want to--and I don't blame you!)
Looking at the BCG pics, though, the condition really is incredible for its vintage.  Maybe you shouldn't take a chance on causing any visible wear.

Cdenmark's suggestion about checking the gas tube for powder residue isn't a bad one...there may be residue from factory test firing if nothing else, but it might be one more indicator of use.

I dunno--this one's an owner's call.  As a collector, I wouldn't pay the "unfired" premium for anything that wasn't verifiably unfired with all the original accessories/packaging.  but I WOULD pay a premium for something in the condition shown.

If you DO decide to shoot it once, take care to treat it gently and clean it immediately afterward. And clean it well, like you're prepping it for museum storage.  Don't skip the gas tube (it will be carbon steel, BTW) and pay careful attention to the chamber.  Remember neither the bore nor chamber are chromed, so you want them pristine before oiling it and putting it away.

It really is a remarkable example of a very rare rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The reason I brought up the twist issue is because I have #323 which is 1/14. My countless hours of research seem to indicate the 1/14 barrels were used up to about #700. If any of you guys out there have guns around #700 that you believe are all original please chime in on what your barrel twist is and/or what markings there are.

I owe you an apology for my earlier mistake.  I was aware that a small number of SP1s were known to have the 1-14 barrels but was not sure how many of them may have existed.
In this case, though, I honestly thought it have the VP barrel.  
May be the first signs of oldtimer's setting in!

Have we seen photos here of #323?  If not, we really should.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reason I brought up the twist issue is because I have #323 which is 1/14. My countless hours of research seem to indicate the 1/14 barrels were used up to about #700. If any of you guys out there have guns around #700 that you believe are all original please chime in on what your barrel twist is and/or what markings there are.

I owe you an apology for my earlier mistake.  I was aware that a small number of SP1s were known to have the 1-14 barrels but was not sure how many of them may have existed.
In this case, though, I honestly thought it have the VP barrel.  
May be the first signs of oldtimer's setting in!

Have we seen photos here of #323?  If not, we really should.

You certainly don't owe me an apology. In fact I owe you guys more thanks. I knew I would learn a lot about this stick from a lot of knowlegable members here but I didn't realize that I had a firearm that was going to teach some old dogs some new tricks. I was simply shocked to find out that this weapon was so original. I also beleive now that is unfired except for factory testing. I'll inspect the tube this weekend for more proof. I also was pleasantly surprised when I physically checked the twist and saw it was 1 in 14. I'm still waiting on someone to confirm that the tasco scope was built in 1963. I'm still over whelmed that this is a 100%true rifle and it's in such great shape.This picture is of my other guns in my gunroom. I've added about twenty more since that picture. I'll get a new picture 2morrow.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/vette205/AR%2015/hummer001.jpg
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
the tasco is most definitely not vintage.  i believe it is 80s at the earliest.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This. I don't remember if the Delta HBAR scopes had a built in base like that or rings, but the early Tascos are known to be good glass. If the CH adapter has a Colt stamp then it's correct, but the 3x is more suited for the rifle, even though it's a later scope. Personally I would not mount it as it leaves marks. I think I'd leave this one as a safe queen myself. Especially since you have another Sp1 to shoot. The 1:14 barrel thing really surprised me. VERY cool and adds a lot to the value.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I don't remember if the Delta HBAR scopes had a built in base like that or rings, but the early Tascos are known to be good glass. If the CH adapter has a Colt stamp then it's correct, but the 3x is more suited for the rifle, even though it's a later scope. Personally I would not mount it as it leaves marks. I think I'd leave this one as a safe queen myself. Especially since you have another Sp1 to shoot. The 1:14 barrel thing really surprised me. VERY cool and adds a lot to the value.

I don't like the looks of the Tasco scope on any AR so I'm going to leave the 3X Colt scope on my '74 SP1 and just not scope SER# 000300.

Here's my thinking. I'm sixty years old and I'm never going to sell the gun. I have never sold any of my guns. I will ocasionally trade though. Sure I like knowing that the values have gone up but if I'm never going to sell it WHY NOT SHOOT IT. Then on the other hand I have one exactly like it that I have fired a couple thousand rounds through that I can shoot. Why not save it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I posted some pix of #323 a while back. Here's a new one with other goodies. Comanche manual, single "C" clip bipod, etc.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, that is the same scope that was supplied with the Delta. The commercial versions did not have the built in mount but used traditional scope rings. Is your carry handle rail mount marked Colt as well? I see the A.R.M.S. marking who made them for Colt but they were also marked with the Colt logo on the Delta ones.

I have the commercially available one on my Delta clone if anybody wants to see pics of the commercial version. They are the same scopes just with a different mount and pretty decent for the money as they don't go for a bunch when you see them come up.

The Deltas also had a Colt marked cheek riser and a really cool black leather Colt marked sling both of which are kinda hard to find parts as well. I have the correct  sling but my riser is the same style but not Colt marked and the non Colt marked A.R.M.S. mount.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, that is the same scope that was supplied with the Delta. The commercial versions did not have the built in mount but used traditional scope rings. Is your carry handle rail mount marked Colt as well? I see the A.R.M.S. marking who made them for Colt but they were also marked with the Colt logo on the Delta ones.

I have the commercially available one on my Delta clone if anybody wants to see pics of the commercial version. They are the same scopes just with a different mount and pretty decent for the money as they don't go for a bunch when you see them come up.

The Deltas also had a Colt marked cheek riser and a really cool black leather Colt marked sling both of which are kinda hard to find parts as well. I have the correct  sling but my riser is the same style but not Colt marked and the non Colt marked A.R.M.S. mount.

My carry handle rail mount is A.R.M.S. and marked with Colt.logo.The way I see it everything about this rifle is correct so excepy for the sling. Does anyone know where I can find a correct sling?????

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know where I can find a correct sling?????

I'm all out of SP-1.  Is there a difference between the earliest and one from later 60's.  I actually don't know.  When I was looking for them I had good luck at the funshows.  Many times sellers had a box full of slings and Colt parts.  Ban threatening has really messed up the Colt parts search IMO.  We have a local show today but I didn't attend.  Nothing really calling my name and they have raised admission to $10 from $8.  Could use some re-loading stock but I'll patiently wait.  E-bay could possibly be the best but watch for those selling reproductions as original.  Sometimes you don't know until it's delivered.  Check retroblackrifle site under accessories or slings for correct length.  GB often has the Colt accessory packs but later dated.  I'm guessing an original 1964 accessory package/gathering of correct parts would command a premium all by itself.  Would think $20 would easily buy a sling as I usually only pay $10 for Colt.  Don't think I'd be in a rush.  Just find one when you can on a deal is what I usually do.  Would think you will want a new one to compliment the rifle.  Very nice gun room also.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#14]
OP - you need to look extensively at pics of a 601 sling - they are stitched in place rather than having the buckle - it's hard for me to describe, but the SP1 slings are identical but black in color and IIRC a little longer. Not to be confused with the regular Garand /M14 slings (which also can be found in black) which are not stitched. Maybe someone can post a good pic of the difference again so you know what to look for. You ought to be able to peddle that Delta HBAR Tasco on ebay or Gunbroker for a pretty penny - or to someone here. Maybe someone here can also point you to a real SP1 sling? You should definitely have the right sling for it. It's a real piece of history.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I sure could use some guidance on the value of the Tasco scope and the sling. I'm not attached to the scope so trades might work for me.
I'm also not a penny pincher when it comes to what I want and I want the correct sling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
See if you can find 2 correct slings.... I need one too!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

3, please.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

3, please.

So are they that hard to come by?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be contacting Colt about the archive letter this week.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Early SP1 slings are tough to find. I missed one about a year ago on GB. IIRC it brought just over $100. I was fortunate my early '65 rifle came with the original sling and mag.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Early SP1 slings are tough to find. I missed one about a year ago on GB. IIRC it brought just over $100. I was fortunate my early '65 rifle came with the original sling and mag.

I might be willing to pay that for one since that is the only piece missing from this rifle

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might be willing to pay that for one since that is the only piece missing from this rifle

That's the way a lot of us feel about retro stuff.  There are reproduction black slings around, but if you have an original rifle, it just doesn't feel right to use a reproduction sling.
Of course, that's also the line of reasoning that does serious damage to our bank accounts!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the way a lot of us feel about retro stuff.  There are reproduction black slings around, but if you have an original rifle, it just doesn't feel right to use a reproduction sling.
Of course, that's also the line of reasoning that does serious damage to our bank accounts!

I'm not spending my money, I'm spending my kids inheritance

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not spending my money, I'm spending my kids inheritance....

In that case, why not? They'll never even miss it!
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok guys I've made up my mind that I'm going to shot this rifle as much as I want to. I never sell any of my guns that I have and this one being with a 1in14 twist sounds a little interesting. I might be a few weeks but I will set up the chrongraph and get some velicity checks and then I can compare the results to my other rifle with the 1 in 12 twist. I'm still looking for a correct sling so keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Sweet.  I wouldn't but definately understand.  I'd say you won't have to woory about cold weather bullet stabilization down in LA.  Should do real well being all new like.  Gonna re-load or shoot M-193 or both?  Bet some 50-55 gr SP's would do pretty good on the cheap.  They do seem to love M-193.  Don't think I've ever shot what I'd call a very good condition or better 1-14 twist.  The one's I have shot were a little beat at best.  They went to 1-12 for a reason.  Patiently waiting for range report.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top