Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2010 4:35:07 PM EDT
is there one on the market? no forward assist but, chrome lined barrel and bore? I know it wouldn't be a true clone but I'd like the convience and easy cleaning
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 5:35:35 PM EDT by HookMech]
No, not really. Unless you count DPMS flat top Lo-Pro (I think that's what it's called). But it's not remotely retro. You could, however, put one together yourself using modern semi-auto internals and a new lightweight (A1 profile) barrel. It's not too difficult. Most (if not all) of us in the retro forum have built our own variations of early M16 models. They range from having all period parts on a semi lower, to all new/modern repro parts, and everything in between. Most of the more readily available original A1 barrels are chrome lined. Look for the markings: C MP Chrome Bore; C MP B; SAK MP Chrome Bore; 3S679 MP CHROME BORE; FNMI MP Chrome Bore, etc.

ETA: It's a sportical, not Lo-Pro I can't be expected to remember these things if they're not retro.
ETA #2: And I just remembered. You could buy a Colt SP1. The vast majority of them have chrome lined barrels. And they're all slicksided. Don't know how I forgot that, it's retro.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:11:22 PM EDT
You can drill a gas tube hole in a RAA 9mm upper
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:58:26 PM EDT
the only sp-1 I have seen was $2000 and in crap condtion around here. I have put together and already built upper and a stripped lower. I have never put a barrel on a reciever. I might have to learn how.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 7:24:50 PM EDT by Der_Hans]
Yes, you can get one, or build one. You have two options:

1. The No-Dak Spud Retro Rifle

NDS produces a selection of uppers without the FA. They have classic slick-side uppers for 601/2/4 (M-16) style builds, 605 style slick-side uppers, and a prototype 'trigger charging handle' upper, all done in a retro gray color. They also offer a range of lowers including the M-16/601 type slab side, the XM-16E1/603 type partial fence, the M-16A1 type full fence in your choice of gray or black, and the standard A2 lower in your choice of black, gray, or some other totally not retro funkycolor.

If you use an NDS gray upper, you'll probably want a matching lower, and want to have your steel parts and charging handles re-finished by Victor at US Anodizing to match the receivers. A chrome lined A1 profile barrel is the hardest part to find. You could go with an A2/Gov't profile barrel, which still has a nice light-profile type balance to it. Their receivers take standard parts kits, with a few exeptions. The slab-side lower needs a special pivot pin which they can provide for you, and the trigger charging handle upper uses a special charging handle, which is included with the upper.

I personally own one of their gray A2 lowers, and although NDS did not do the forging, the finish on it is first class. Mike and Harlan are great guys to do business with, and stand by their product.

2. The Fulton Armory 'STFU and DIY' Retro Rifle

Fulton Armory also offers a slick-side upper, anodized in black rather than gray. I own a Fulton Armory slick-side upper (Splinter-A forge code), and have built two of them in total, one for myself and another for a friend. Neither one of these were what I would call easy to build, and the company wasn't very interested in helping.

The barrels went in OK on both of them, but the bolt groups fit VERY tight within the uppers, and the charging handles had to be hand fitted to the uppers. When I called to ask them about this, I was told that it was normal for the bolt groups to be very tight in the uppers, and that I should file down the charging handles until they fit.

Once you get past the total lack of service and questionable tolerances, they work just fine. Obviously, my recommendation would be to buy a properly dimensioned upper from a different company.

ETA:

Originally Posted By HookMech:
ETA #2: And I just remembered. You could buy a Colt SP1. The vast majority of them have chrome lined barrels. And they're all slicksided. Don't know how I forgot that, it's retro.

What he said. Also, surplus M-16/M-16A1 top halves should fit any partial or full fence lower, and will fit a slab-side if they have the counter-bore.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:27:21 PM EDT
Could always try to find a 604 upper with a C MP B marked barrel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 8:44:55 PM EDT by Cdenmark]
Usually a Colt 604 slicksde upper floating around once a week on EE. Put out a want to buy add in EE or Retroblackrifle and figure to cough up the cost of a new upper assembly less BCG. Really not that much dough for what you get. Then you call fill it up with whatever you want. Put a nice chrome BCG in there and it will be real easy to clean. 604 is also one of, if not the best handling, lightweight full length AR's ever made. The ones I've seen are great shooters also. Use the barrel info listed above and whatever lower you want. I use cheapest I can find, but NDS sells period correct lowers for a little more. Would think you could easily build a later style 604 without breaking the bank, and you can pay as you go. Figure even a new rifle is used after the first shot. Think of all the fun you are going to have. Barrel install is easy but finding the barrel is harder. That is why I suggest buying a whole upper half. Dave
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:44:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 8:47:43 PM EDT by FIGJAM]
Fulton armory upper on an Armalite lower. They fit very well together, zero slop. Daniel Defense charging handle, perfect fit. Bolt carrier is slickside DPMS sold by Fulton Armory and once again is perfect. Nodak handguards and Rock River barrel. DPMS flash hider. Everthing is modern new except the furniture, slip ring and split washer for the flash hider.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:51:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FIGJAM:
Fulton armory upper on an Armalite lower. They fit very well together, zero slop. Daniel Defense charging handle, perfect fit. Bolt carrier is slickside DPMS sold by Fulton Armory and once again is perfect. Nodak handguards and Rock River barrel. DPMS flash hider. Everthing is modern new except the furniture, slip ring and split washer for the flash hider.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4149/dscf0115o.jpg

Very nice!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:57:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 9:37:48 AM EDT by FIGJAM]
Thanks Morg. I really love this little carbine. The mid-length is a slick deal and it shoot's pretty good. I'm still waiting on an A-1 front sight and a sling, then it'll be complete. I've got an A2 sight in there now, should get the A1 today.

Piecing these guns together is a bit addicting. I'm toying with the idea of an "inspired by" 608. Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:22:39 AM EDT
Not retro, and not the best picture, but my rife here:

Is wearing a slickside flattop upper from sundevil in AZ. Pricey, but cool and what I wanted.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:39:02 AM EDT
That upper looks a little like a KAC SR25 upper. I like it. You're forgiven as long as you share your Oatmeal stout. I've got a retro flattop shorty in the works myself. I like the triangular HGs with the flattop.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:41:21 AM EDT
Thanks Morg. I really love this little carbine. The mid-length is a slick deal and it shoot's pretty good. I'm still waiting on an A-1 front sight and a sling, then it'll be complete. I've got an A2 sight in there now, should get the A1 today.

Piecing these guns together is a bit addicting. I'm toying with the idea of an "inspired by" 608. Should be interesting.

Figjam - I can't wait to see your '608'. Uncle Moak makes some 608 parts BTW, like the stock piece and FH. I really like midlength A1's. A lot. Really.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:25:44 PM EDT
thanks guys you have given me some more options.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:40:30 PM EDT
Very nice looking rifle FIGJAM.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:09:25 PM EDT

Nice! I just finished up a similar build using the same upper from Fulton and the same barrel. I'm waiting on my Nodak middy handguards to arrive to complete it.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/Minky_SA/Lightweight%20Build/4.jpg
Top Top