Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 7:28:08 PM EDT
Came across this while trying to find a .pdf of the XM177E2 manual:

LAUNCH CHARACTERISTICS OF THE M-193 (BALL) AND M-196 (TRACER) PROJECTILES FROM THE XM177E2 SUBMACHINE GUN

Things I learned:
  • Moderator-induced POI shift — Unsurprisingly, build-up of crap inside those baffled moderators seems to have resulted in a significant change in point-of-impact over time.  "The shift from no suppressor to the [suppressor with 9200 rounds fired through it] appeared to be about 60 centimeters at 73 meters from the muzzle (approximately 9 mils)."  Another good reason to abandon the baffled moderator for a regular flash hider / 14.5" barrel on later carbine models.

• Dispersion — Without moderator, the XM177E2 firing ball ammo averaged very similarly to the M16A1 rifle tested, at about .31 mils or 1.05 MOA.  But with a moderator used for 1000 rounds, it  averaged .57 mils (1.92 MOA), and accuracy grew progressively worse with longer-used moderators (0.85 mils / 2.87 MOA after 9200 rounds).  This was with changing just the moderator, not using a barrel that had 9200 rounds through it, so barrel wear would not be a factor.

• Muzzle Velocity — "The muzzle velocity, although not yet well known, appears to be on the order of 865 m/s (2838 ft/s) for both M-193 and M-196 projectiles."

All in all, it makes me happy about my non-NFA clone with fake moderator by Brick.

Anyway, anyone know where I can get good .pdf copies of retro manuals like I was originally looking for?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Great info., thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#3]
clean the moderator
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
clean the moderator

You couldn't- they were a two part affair that was welded closed when manufactured, there was no way to take it apart to clean the baffles.  It may look cool but it was a really poor design in size, effectiveness, and maintainability.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Now I am curious if Brick's moderator clones have this problem if you let them get filthy.  I assume you can readily clean his since there's no baffles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now I am curious if Brick's moderator clones have this problem if you let them get filthy.  I assume you can readily clean his since there's no baffles.

His do not have baffles so cleaning is not an issue.

Somewhere around here there is a picture of a cutaway original moderator, and it is easy to see why it gets clogged up so bad- lots of little channels and such running through it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

His do not have baffles so cleaning is not an issue.

Somewhere around here there is a picture of a cutaway original moderator, and it is easy to see why it gets clogged up so bad- lots of little channels and such running through it.

+1 for ^^^^^  And Bricks moderator inside hole diameter is just a tad larger then the barrel inside diameter,so you can get real clean using a chamber brush if you feel the need.But as said above,there are no baffles to deal with so it's just like cleaning the rest of the barrel. Beautifully made item he makes!!!!!

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top