Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:28:40 PM EDT
Ok Guys,

Can anyone give me first hand experience as to what Aluma Hyde II color best matches the current M16A1 kits that are out there? I've searched the forums but can't seem to get a handle on the best match. I'm seriously thinking of painting the "in the white" barrel that came with the kit I recently got from Copes (which is in EXCELLENT Condition).

Many Thanks & Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Dark parkerizing gray.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dark parkerizing gray.

+1

I believe the consensus is that the dark parkerizing gray color is the best match for the kits, while the regular parkerizing gray is close to some of the lighter NDS / US Anodizing parts.  The new surface prep that is being done to the newest NDS-16A1 lowers is supposed to result in a slightly darker finish so the dark park gray would probably be best there too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You might consider Brownell's baking laquer.It comes in dark parkerizing gray too.Baking seems to produce a more durable coat.I've done dura coat both ways and baking it makes a difference for sure.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1143/Product/AEROSOL_BAKING_LACQUER
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might consider Brownell's baking laquer.It comes in dark parkerizing gray too.Baking seems to produce a more durable coat.I've done dura coat both ways and baking it makes a difference for sure.

I haven't used the baking laquer, but the reviews on the Brownell's page do not inspire confidence as to its durability.

Of course, you never know if bubba did proper surface prep...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't used the baking laquer, but the reviews on the Brownell's page do not inspire confidence as to its durability.

I'm glad you mentioned the reviews.Now I'm kind of skeptic about this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
How well will any paint tolerate a really hot barrel?  
What does it cost to get the 'in the white' bbl properly parked?
Are these bbls hardchromed?
Moon
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad you mentioned the reviews.Now I'm kind of skeptic about this stuff.

For one time in my life, I am not volunteering to be the guinea pig on this.
...although I am planning on doing an NDS-22 dressed up like an M1 carbine at some point... and it will need to be painted one of these parkerizing colors... hmm.  But I have too many ARs to finish first.

Quoted:
Moon

The in-the-white barrels in the parts kits are not chromed in any way.  If you were having ADCO do the work, it would be $50 for parkerizing and another $90 if you wanted to have them install your FSB as well.  I'm not sure what heatnbeat charges for this work; it may be less.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Moon

It's really not worth getting an in the white barrel.Most go for about 90 bucks then your going to pay at least $50(usually more) to get it parked.So your at $140 already.Then you have to buy an FSB then have it installed.You can buy a Del Ton A1 barrel for $154.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I've parked my own with Duracoat Parkerizing Solution and a large fish poacher I picked up on eBay.  They come out pretty good...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've parked my own with Duracoat Parkerizing Solution and a large fish poacher I picked up on eBay.  They come out pretty good...

As long as you sandblast, not beadblast
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you sandblast, not beadblast

Hey, your 1911 came out pretty good...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the feedback.

I actually Aluma Hyde II coated two AK's I built and they have held up pretty good. I agree that a baking product will work best, but the value/quality of the barrel is a significant consideration so I'm not inclined to spend a bunch of $ re-finishing it. I'm building this purely out of nostalgia as I served in the Marine Corps in the late 70's.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top