Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2010 4:35:09 PM EDT
here is the finished installation of a fsb jerrel did.
its a ban era colt, that i wanted the bayo lug back.
he actually was unsure if i would like this, well it's perfect in every way.
it's a colt. its f marked. it shoots staight.
i'll be back

oh, and I'm responsible for the sling swivel rivet, not him!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:55:52 PM EDT
I knew you'd be happy! I won't go anywhere else... + 1 for Heatnbeat rules.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:35 PM EDT
Well I have to admit he may be responsible for the sling rivet, but only because I F'd up 3 and then gave up. All 3 split; does anybody have any idea how to do them? The only tools I found were pretty expensive considering that I almost never have any call for them.

Thanks againfor the kind words, that barrel reallywas a challenge. Puting a used base on a used barrel is really iffy; it makes you realize how little uniformity there is in the taper pin holes!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:29:27 PM EDT
Heatbeat was very cool with me he sent me a part with no money.....and was very cool customer!!!

'
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:33:07 PM EDT
I still need to get around to ordering a no-tic selector from him, but damnit, I'm lazy!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:34:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 5:35:49 PM EDT by 44Echo10]
Originally Posted By Heatnbeat:
Well I have to admit he may be responsible for the sling rivet, but only because I F'd up 3 and then gave up. All 3 split; does anybody have any idea how to do them? The only tools I found were pretty expensive considering that I almost never have any call for them.

Thanks againfor the kind words, that barrel reallywas a challenge. Puting a used base on a used barrel is really iffy; it makes you realize how little uniformity there is in the taper pin holes!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/RapcoBrake.php I bet if a fellow had access to a machine shop, he could whip one of those up without too much trouble.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:37:30 PM EDT
well you could always redrill?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:41:06 PM EDT

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w78.htm
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 5:47:17 PM EDT by m1sniper]
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/RapcoBrake.php I bet if a fellow had access to a machine shop, he could whip one of those up without too much trouble.

There is a specific hollow rivet tool (punch) that I know the guys who rebuild M1 helmet liners use to roll the rivet real nice.I'll see if I can contact one of my old aquaintances on egay and see if he still sells them.I forget what the punch is called,but I'll find out for ya Heat.
ETA cracked beat me.Those are the type punches I was referring to.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:54:34 PM EDT
I made a punch like that, maybe I didn't get it quite right. It looked right though!!

I'll have to get a price on them. The ones I found were $50 plus. The one from Aircraft pruce looks good too, and reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:26:47 AM EDT
I have had good luck using regular roll pin punches, working slowly and not trying to roll the "corners" with just one whack. A little grease for lub, and tap lightly, easy does it. I don't recall the size, but it's one of the sizes you need for AR roll pins anyway, so likely you already have it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:09:32 AM EDT
Well, I'm out of work again, but hope to have enough together in a couple weeks to send Jerrell a barrel to cut and do some fabricating on. You just couldn't ask for better work, or a nicer guy! When I first was out of work he sent me pics from a truck show he went to to cheer me up because he knew I liked old trucks. It worked!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:36:18 AM EDT
I saw a swivel rivet tool on the Brownells site recently, marked as a new item. I do not know if it is designed for the retro rifles, but might be worth a look.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:19:39 AM EDT
Looks Good !

I am still waiting on parts from 45B so I can send to HB. I haven't forgot about ya Jerrell......just still waiting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:07:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 10:07:50 AM EDT by FIGJAM]
Originally Posted By flyer:
I saw a swivel rivet tool on the Brownells site recently, marked as a new item. I do not know if it is designed for the retro rifles, but might be worth a look.

Just ordered it last week, should be here this week. I've been debating whether to rivet the sling swivel or use a roll pin. In any case, I'll report back on whether it was worth the $40.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:04:21 PM EDT
Ahh, a first hand report would be nice!

Thanks
Top Top