Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2010 4:27:38 PM EDT
Got bored today & decided to put together what I can of my 602 clone. I still need to order some parts to finish it, this is just the outer shell basically.

Original parts:
Type C stock
thin profile A1 grip
no drain hole HGs
original 602 receiver & pivot pin
barrel marked w/a C in a box on the outside of the chamber (I know it is not correct for a 602, but I got lazy & did not want to switch barrels with my 601)
triangle CH
Chrome carrier & bolt

repro parts
take down pin
selector
port door
many circles mag button
NDS lower
internal LPK peices
buffer tube & buffer (have an original buffer tube that I got out of the EE, but the threads ended up being messed up. Won't screw into receiver. )
firing pin
firing pin retainer

& finishing it off with a Armalite/Colt marked 20rd mag.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice...My favorite rifle variation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Very Nice indeed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I may be able to clean up the threads on that original buffer tube, I'd sure be willing to give it a try anyway.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks nice.  That upper is much nicer than mine.  I've got everything I need except for a 602 barrel.  I built it up with a C MP Chrome Bore barrel, but it was eating at me so I took it apart.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Still need to buy a buffer, cam pin, firing pin retainer, & firing pin to complete it. I'll make that call to PK tomorrow.

I wonder if Victor could replicate the color of the upper to the lower & slip ring?

ETA: Did Colt use the black touch up paint on the very early models? I want to put the buffer tube pin in, but don't want the shiny spot showing after I grind the pin down to the right size. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice job HK. Was thinking about doing one myself with some gathered parts but will probably end up with early 604 instead. Those barrels are sure getting hard to find. Guess you're about ready to start another new build huh. AR junkie needs another project.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice job HK. ....

....Guess you're about ready to start another new build huh. AR junkie needs another project.

Thanks.

I have a "very early" 604 in almost the same stage as this 602 was til yesterday. I need to order more parts for it too. I'm just going with modern parts on these unless or until I can come across a decent deal for original parts. After the 604 I think I am done building Retros. I would like a 607, but have not been able to justify the cost of the stock lately. I'm getting bored with AR's I think.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm getting bored with AR's I think.

You'll be back to normal tomorrow.

Excellent looking 602! I know you're probably tempted to match the upper and lower, but I'd leave that baby just as is!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm getting bored with AR's I think.

You'll be back to normal tomorrow.

Excellent looking 602! I know you're probably tempted to match the upper and lower, but I'd leave that baby just as is!

I'd like to match the lower to the upper, so as not to destroy the originality of the upper. But it will stay like it is for a while til I get some cash flowing in again, besides unemployment compensation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Still need to buy a buffer, cam pin, firing pin retainer, & firing pin to complete it. I'll make that call to PK tomorrow.

I wonder if Victor could replicate the color of the upper to the lower & slip ring?

ETA: Did Colt use the black touch up paint on the very early models? I want to put the buffer tube pin in, but don't want the shiny spot showing after I grind the pin down to the right size. Thoughts?

I can only say that my 64 SP1 DOES have touchup covering the M vp on the barrel and one other spot,can't remember off hand. As for getting bored,well,send ALL your spare retro parts to m1sniper enterprises for proper storage until that feeling passes.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Kinda with you on that HK. For me it comes and goes. The increase in prices after Obama have kinda turned me off to the whole gun game including retro. It's still sorta fun to take the wife to the funshows but the ridiculous prices for the retro stuff is getting kinda insane. Most the stuff is broke and needs repair and if it's decent you can't justify the asking price unless very very affluent. There was a reason it was replaced for the most part. Not to mention all the shill bidding going on GB and such to drive up prices for the one potential sucker. Same sellers at the funshows but I already bought their good stuff years ago for pennies of todays asking prices.  Maybe if I had a decent paying job and no retro guns I wouldn't mind as much. Remember the cheapest rifle builds back in the beginning of AR15.com. Nobody ever spent over $500 and if they did it was a big laugh. Reminds me of a time when I took 30 like new Chinese SKS rifles to a local hunt club and sold them all for $60 ea with accessories and made a whole $240 bucks in less than one hour. Man I though I was rich that day. Back then you could sell it for what ya had in it anyday, without parting it out. Still buying the deals just few and far between now. Started buying and selling guns when I was 12. Now I'm 48 and a whole lot has changed in those years. Some of those collectibles aren't so collectibe any more. Remember the antique double barrels, can't hardly give them away today. Parker Bros, L.C. Smith, Lefever, even J.C. Higgins, etc. Times are definately changing. Might have to patent my new electric rifle design. The only reason I come here is to talk about and remember the foregone days with a few decent people. Again a very nice looking rifle HK.  Dave
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice job HK. ....

....Guess you're about ready to start another new build huh. AR junkie needs another project.

Thanks.

I have a "very early" 604 in almost the same stage as this 602 was til yesterday. I need to order more parts for it too. I'm just going with modern parts on these unless or until I can come across a decent deal for original parts. After the 604 I think I am done building Retros. I would like a 607, but have not been able to justify the cost of the stock lately. I'm getting bored with AR's I think.

I've been bored with AR's before too.  It comes and goes for me.  I sold all of my rifles except one 601, 603, 604 and the 602 in progress.  Still have a bunch of carbines, though.  Can't bring myself to sell them.  I'll never sell the SBR's, but I'm torn on the rest of the carbines...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I will admit,after researching the correct parts then hunting down all original vintage parts for my 601 and 602,when finally completed I had a "ok,big deal,now what attitude".It lasted a few weeks and during that time I actually considered selling them off as complete parts kits  to include everything but the lowers.The feeling does pass,and I am still the proud owner of both.It is a shame that the only way to recupe build costs is to break them up and sell the parts individually.
I remember a local gun store back in the early-mid 80s had a couple of AR10s.I think they were Dutch.Price was something like $1200-$1500 at the time.I thought it was a bit hi,so I bought a PB BM59 for $650.
ETA,one thing that helped my attitude,,post pics of them as a family portrait,then sit back and read all the compliments from our retro family.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
That is going to be a nice fairly rare varient hk. It makes me wish I would have been paying attention a few years ago and gathered the parts for one when they were actually not impossible to find.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess the only reason I say I am getting bored is I have almost every Retro variant that I can legally own & still look correct. Not saying I have them all, cause I know I don't, just all that I want.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top