AR Sponsor: bravocompany
SP1 data base (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 300_Blackout_drunk:
Would anyone happen to know if a colt sporter manufactured in 1978 would've shipped as a complete rifle or possibly as a stripped lower?

All I have is the lower and want to know with any certainty if it was a complete rifle before the ban.

Thanks!
View Quote
Colt absolutely did not sell stripped lowers back then.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 300_Blackout_drunk:
Would anyone happen to know if a colt sporter manufactured in 1978 would've shipped as a complete rifle or possibly as a stripped lower?

All I have is the lower and want to know with any certainty if it was a complete rifle before the ban.

Thanks!
View Quote
AFAIK, Colt never sold stripped lowers until the recent bunch available from Arms Unlimited, but your best bet would be to contact them with the serial number. 800-962-COLT (2658)
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help.

Calling didn't yield any more information besides the manufacture date (1978)

The man I spoke to also said most everything back then was shipped complete but to be sure he instructed me to call the colt archives service, which would entail a fee.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump stock
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know the patent number for the 1963 Sporter?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Does anyone know the patent number for the 1963 Sporter?
View Quote
The patent on what? The original DI patents date to 1960 as filed in 1956 and then used on the AR10, then later on the AR15. The AR-15 was a scaled down AR-10, and the Sporter was an afterthought for exploiting the civilian commercial market, not some kind of new technology, at the time.

The DI patent is US 2951424A (as amended).
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

The patent on what? The original DI patents date to 1960 as filed in 1956 and then used on the AR10, then later on the AR15. The AR-15 was a scaled down AR-10, and the Sporter was an afterthought for exploiting the civilian commercial market, not some kind of new technology, at the time.

The DI patent is US 2951424A (as amended).
View Quote
Appreciate it. I’m aguing with a “vetsforgunreform” anti 2A social media account online and my argument is that Colt sold the Sporter to civilians before the DOD officially adopted the Colt XM for military use
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanSheepDog] [#8]
SP1 SER SP03XXX:

3 prong flash hider with split washer
M VP S 12 barrel with forged FSB, flash removed
Early bend stainless steel gas tube
No-hole handguards
Purple slip ring
Square forge upper, profile matches lower
Rectangular pad port door
Parked bolt carrier with no serrations, AR15 profile
Parked, machined firing pin retaining pin
Flat head firing pin
Parked cam pin
Narrow band chrome “MP” marked bolt
+ mark on lower
Regular bolt catch
Dimpled safety
Has basically a large version of the 601/602 pivot pin instead of the original screw
Short disconnector
Buffer tube with hole with rollpin through lower
Edgewater buffer
Narrow grip
Type D stock
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:25:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: somebob] [#10]
After saving a bunch of pictures of SP1s for sale I noticed some patterns in the upper receivers.  I originally posted this information on this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/123-668345/

I'm not an expert, this is just something I noticed by looking at pictures on the Internet.  Others found the information interesting so I figured I'd post it here.

2/12/2015
I don't know where to post this so I'll just post it here. :) I used to browse the EE and GB more than I do now, but when I saw a SP1 listing I would save the page to my hard drive and put the serial number of the SP1 at the beginning of the folder name like "SP1_012345_." I wound up with a small database of pictures, I just look for a folder that starts with a serial number near the year I am looking for. There is no way to know if any of these rifles are "correct" or have had parts swapped around. Here is a partial timeline I came up with:

1st style SP1 upper receiver, I think this is from 1964 to 1971 but older ones seem to have thick webbing on the back of the carry handle. Early contour under the port door, I think they all have the same style arrow and "R." (linking to image posted by member Templar)

2nd style upper receiver, late contour under the port door, arrow and "R" are styled like round forge 604 upper receivers, I think these are made from the same forging as some 604 upper receivers. Earliest serial number I have is 22900 17659.

(Photo courtesy member onealphay2k)

(Photo courtesy member onealphay2k)

serial 22900

Here is what I'm calling a 2nd style upper receiver, dark lugs, no auto sear relief, round forge 604 like contours, and green tint in the anodizing. It is difficult to tell how many of these are dark lug from GB listings. Were the dark lug receivers manufactured before 1972?

3rd style upper receiver, late contour under the port door, square forge, I think these are made from the same forging as what I see people here call a ~1966 receiver. (Look at the styling of the arrow and "R") Earliest serial I have is 53865 45520.  (Oldest serial from retro picture thread)

serial 45520

Serial 54709

These pictures were from a GB auction for a parts kit from a LE rifle. I think this is a 3rd style upper receiver, square forge, no auto sear relief, large hole in front lug.

No auto sear relief under there, right?

4th style upper receiver, looks like a 2nd style upper receiver but has "CK" forge mark on carry handle. The earliest serial I have is 60544.

Serial 61449

I don't have many examples of "CM" forge uppers, I didn't bother to save them like I did for older rifles
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Somebob,

Below is a picture of my SP1 Carbine Ser. No. 1121xx for your reference (with CM Forge Code) The Barrel is marked C MP B, and not the usual C MP Chrome Bore for some odd reason?

Link Posted: 11/23/2019 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump!
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By fltacoma:
Somebob,

Below is a picture of my SP1 Carbine Ser. No. 1121xx for your reference (with CM Forge Code) The Barrel is marked C MP B, and not the usual C MP Chrome Bore for some odd reason?

https://i.imgur.com/MRe260w.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/E6rDrRp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cmVWvaL.jpg
View Quote
From what I've seen the 1978 and 1979 carbines have the C MP B barrels marked on the underside and the 1980 and up are marked C MP Chrome Bore on the top side of the barrel. But knowing Colt there may be some 1980 carbines with the C MP B barrels...
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:45:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigShowWilson] [#14]
I have a Colt Sporter II. SN SP347***. Barrel marks is are C MP 556 NATO 1/7, marked on the top of barrel. A2 bird cage. Front sight post has a B with a diamond around it. A2 rear sight.

What year would this be? I have owned since 1988 and nothing has been changed since I bought. Seller said it did not have 100 rounds through it and it was mint. Has a couple very light scuffs on the lower and the blacking on the barrel has faded some. Has not been shot in over 25 years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I'll add my SP1 since this thread seems to have life.

Serial #SP157XXX
A1 flash hider
I'll add other details as soon as I get it out of the safe and take some pics
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt SP1 Ser. 0578X 1966
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:31:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: alamo_308] [#18]
1976 s/n SP59672

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: alamo_308] [#19]
deleted
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#20]
SP1 Carbine, 1984ish?

Serial #SP2117xx
A1 flash hider
A2 grip
Flat slip ring
2 pos receiver extension
C H forge marked upper
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#21]

Local gunshop guy has a '70s era SP1 with a colt scope. Any clue as to what this is worth?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Just wondering if the OP still updating his data base.

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#23]
The dates vs numbers in the OP don’t seem to agree with retroblackrifle website:
http://pullig.dyndns.org/retroblackrifle/ModGde/SP1SN.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:20:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dun] [#24]
I have a slab-side SP1(?) AR15 made in the mid-late '70's. Bought it used many years ago off a GI from Ft Carson. Unfortunately the original butt and triangle hand-guards were beaten up and replaced with the round guards and longer stock. Can anyone direct me to where I can find original (or clone) parts to replace and return this otherwise-in-very-good- shape rifle to original form?  
Also looking for Colt lower for same rifle. Thanks, Dun...
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Hello, I recently acquired a SP1 lower but I have no idea about it's original configuration and I would like to restore it.

The receiver is grey and left side of receiver is marked:

CAL .223
MODEL SP1
SER SP188XXX

It has the large front take down pin.

It has an A1 pistol grip.

The trigger and hammer pins are standard GI size.

The right side of the receiver has no magazine fence and is smooth-sided.

It has a carbine style butt set up with a 2-position buffer tube, I cannot tell if it is original to the receiver though?

Any insights as to how it left the factory and what year it was produced?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Teufelmann55:
Hello, I recently acquired a SP1 lower but I have no idea about it's original configuration and I would like to restore it.

The receiver is grey and left side of receiver is marked:

CAL .223
MODEL SP1
SER SP188XXX

It has the large front take down pin.

It has an A1 pistol grip.

The trigger and hammer pins are standard GI size.

The right side of the receiver has no magazine fence and is smooth-sided.

It has a carbine style butt set up with a 2-position buffer tube, I cannot tell if it is original to the receiver though?

Any insights as to how it left the factory and what year it was produced?
View Quote

According to the table two posts up (#23), you lower was built in late 1971, and was a rifle.  Carbine SP1s weren't made until about 1978.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]
188k were made in 1983 or later.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
188k were made in 1983 or later.
View Quote

My bad...I missed a "0".  Then, it could have been a carbine.

OP, look for if the lock ring on the receiver extension is staked (square indentations), and black lacquered over.  That would indicate if the stock came on the lower from Colt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#29]
The ring looks like it originally was staked with a square/rectangular staking tool and I see some black lacquer on top of it, but it looks like it was later re-staked with a round punch.  I guess the owner removed the buffer tube or it got lose at some point? I got the rifle with an after-market carbine upper.

I would Imagine that finding an original upper would be hard for this one.

I was kind of hoping it was a rifle originally as I have an A1 large hole slick side upper on it now

Thanks, guys for your help!
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#30]
The ring looks like it originally was staked with a square/rectangular staking tool and I see some black lacquer on top of it, but it looks like it was later re-staked with a round punch.  I guess the owner removed the buffer tube or it got lose at some point? I got the rifle with an after-market carbine upper.

I would Imagine that finding an original upper would be hard for this one.

I was kind of hoping it was a rifle originally as I have an A1 large hole slick side upper on it now.

Thanks, guys for your help!
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#31]
If it has black lacquer paint over a stake, I would bet it was a originally a carbine.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I came here looking for an approximate date for carbine #2116XX.
It came with the aluminum stock and A2 grip that I replaced with an A1.  I know it’s pre-‘86, as Mr. Fleming made it go faster.
I’ve been somewhat restoring it by putting together an actual SP1 upper to replace the adapted upper it came with.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought this in the 1980s at a pawn and gun shop in south Florida.
I have recently started looking for a mfg. date but so far no luck.
This is the way the rifle was when I bought it, nothing has been changed or added.

SP1899**

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PvtJoker1955:
I bought this in the 1980s at a pawn and gun shop in south Florida.
I have recently started looking for a mfg. date but so far no luck.
This is the way the rifle was when I bought it, nothing has been changed or added.

SP1899**

https://i.imgur.com/46jRhD0.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/kqYIDJj.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/dd0Lvl6.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/7A1wsgr.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/YSRkcqt.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/UXmdyjR.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/2VGlTPF.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/z497bMA.jpeg

View Quote

Im going to guess it was made in about 1983 or 84, its a late era production.

Theres a few things the original owner changed. It would have originally left the factory with a Type E buttstock, A1 birdcage flashhider, and SP1 carrier. Im not sure why someone would have changed those things.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#35]
211XXX serial SP1 carbine. Based on my research, mine was later production and shipped with an A2 instead of A1 grip. Stock is original vinyl acetate coated aluminum with a NN mark.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
SP1 data base (Page 4 of 4)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top