Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Retro Picture Thread #2! (Page 36 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Apathesis:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/474332/20190505_143330_jpg-936272.JPG
I took a Brownells XM177E2 and threw a mid-length setup on it.  I proceeded to strip a ton of finish off because the color was too dark and I have an addiction to polishing metals.

I pretty much was trying to go for a beat up Colt 609-style, but mid-length.  Love the look of barrel ending just after the sight post.
I'm not done.  This will likely be an evolving project.    CAR-15 cheek piece, CAR-15 buttpad, Elbit Falcon MK I with ARMS mount on an ARMS #39, and a different flash hider were added.

25 round straight magazines from Brownells.

Sorry the photos are grainy.  I broke my camera recently.

I dunno how I feel about the finish. I may parkerize it or Cerakote it in Combat Grey or even do a forced patina.  I really can't decide.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/474332/20190501_203702_jpg-936276.JPG
View Quote
Finish you ended up = astonishing, would have it every day of the week.

Just gorgeous, exactly what I love.

Bravo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 4:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apathesis] [#2]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Finish you ended up = astonishing, would have it every day of the week.

Just gorgeous, exactly what I love.

Bravo.
View Quote
Hey, thanks a lot!  I certainly had a lot of fun.  I wish I didn't hit the edges as early and hard as I did, but oh well.

My dream AR is one that looks like a WWII-era weapon.  Metal handguards instead of plastic (why don't metal A2 handguards exist?) and a lovely dark grey patina covering the worn and scratched finish.  That was part of the inspiration.

I may weather the ejection port door and the magazines a bit more to blend the finishes so it's not as strikingly two-tone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:45:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fordtough25] [#3]
I took a Brownells XM177E2 and threw a mid-length setup on it.  I proceeded to strip a ton of finish off because the color was too dark and I have an addiction to polishing metals.

I pretty much was trying to go for a beat up Colt 609-style, but mid-length.  Love the look of barrel ending just after the sight post.
I'm not done.  This will likely be an evolving project.    CAR-15 cheek piece, CAR-15 buttpad, Elbit Falcon MK I with ARMS mount on an ARMS #39, and a different flash hider were added.

I dunno how I feel about the finish. I may parkerize it or Cerakote it in Combat Grey or even do a forced patina.  I really can't decide.

View Quote
I built a A1 carbine with a CHF mid length barrel several years ago, great shooter! Mine is 16" though. :)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

I built a A1 carbine with a CHF mid length barrel several years ago, great shooter! Mine is 16" though. :)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269204/paint1_jpg-937263.JPG
View Quote
Looks good.

S&W M&P10 .308 handguards--which are mid-length--will fit an AR-15 perfectly.  They are what I used.  Midwest Gun Work has them if you'd like a slimmer CAR-15 style profile.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Looks good.

S&W M&P10 .308 handguards--which are mid-length--will fit an AR-15 perfectly.  They are what I used.  Midwest Gun Work has them if you'd like a slimmer CAR-15 style profile.
View Quote
Good to know thanks, I thought about using a set of CAR-15's and removing the camo.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Hey, thanks a lot!  I certainly had a lot of fun.  I wish I didn't hit the edges as early and hard as I did, but oh well.

My dream AR is one that looks like a WWII-era weapon.  Metal handguards instead of plastic (why don't metal A2 handguards exist?) and a lovely dark grey patina covering the worn and scratched finish.  That was part of the inspiration.

I may weather the ejection port door and the magazines a bit more to blend the finishes so it's not as strikingly two-tone.
View Quote
Kinda STG-44 like metal handguards? With a wooden buttstock & pistol grip?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:10:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apathesis] [#7]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

Good to know thanks, I thought about using a set of CAR-15's and removing the camo.
View Quote
@Fordtough25, If you like the slim profile of CAR handguards, you will probably enjoy the M&P10 mid-length handguards.  Don't worry about them saying they are for .308/7.62x51mm guns.  I added heat shielding from an automotive store and cut out the holes after the shielding was already applied from the inside.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/430770000
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apathesis] [#8]
@pipboy344, Kinda, in that they are metal but still retaining the triangular 607 or carbine 609 handguard shape.

I have thought about doing something similar to an STG-44 with wood on the stock and grip though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:
https://i.imgur.com/V1ZNGRJ.jpg?1
View Quote
The fact is that the picture itself is amazing. Fantastic - it tells a story. Bravo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 3:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clockwork138] [#11]
Finally got a "retro" AR. It's still a work in progress with the planned end-result being 604 configuration. Still need to get a proper lower(preferably partial fence), type D stock, and see if I can close the gap at the rear of the upper SP1 receiver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Clockwork138:
Finally got a "retro" AR. It's still a work in progress with the planned end-result being 604 configuration. Still need to get a proper lower(preferably partial fence), type D stock, and see if I can close the gap at the rear of the upper SP1 receiver.
https://i.imgur.com/lCs6LQy.jpg
View Quote
Gorgeous picture is gorgeous
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Decided the Vortex flash hider I originally had on here just looked out of place.  Dug out an a2 I had buried in my parts stash. A birdcage looks better on this 723 style .22 plinker.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Memorial Day 2019, retro style.  For all the men who carried these into the field and never returned...

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]

A retro kinda day, got my buddy to bring out his AR180 bastard to play with my SP1
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:40:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake-in-the-Grass] [#17]
What did your buddy do on the rear receiver of the AR180 (where it attached to the folding buttstock)!??
Looks like he added on a piece.

Link Posted: 6/5/2019 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Follow me on this - artists took a bunch of decommissioned M16s and gave them facelifts (as bad as Mexican Cartels or Saddam's gold AKs).

“M16” is the sister project to “AKA Peace” an exhibition also curated by Chapman for the same cause in 2012 but using AK-47s. As he explains in this video ‘the AK-47 is emblematic of a more illegitimate side of violence, the fundamentalist or terroristic side because it’s associated with more, I suppose, revolutionary or radicalised armies like non-nation state armies,’ while the M16 symbolises violence ‘funded by states and countries which are somehow seen as legitimate. The M16 is the predominant American weapon which, we wanted to make some kind of gesture towards the idea of thinking that M16s represent perhaps the idea of exporting democracy from the West via the super power of America and its associate allies with Britain, so that we were trying to somehow equalise the implication that it’s not only the illegitimacy of the AK-47, it’s the legitimacy of the M16 which also causes violence.’

https://theartdetectivesmuse.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/m16-assault-rifles-for-sale-to-promote-peace/

Could be fun to mock with water-soluable paints.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Story:
Follow me on this - artists took a bunch of decommissioned M16s and gave them facelifts (as bad as Mexican Cartels or Saddam's gold AKs).

“M16” is the sister project to “AKA Peace” an exhibition also curated by Chapman for the same cause in 2012 but using AK-47s. As he explains in this video ‘the AK-47 is emblematic of a more illegitimate side of violence, the fundamentalist or terroristic side because it’s associated with more, I suppose, revolutionary or radicalised armies like non-nation state armies,’ while the M16 symbolises violence ‘funded by states and countries which are somehow seen as legitimate. The M16 is the predominant American weapon which, we wanted to make some kind of gesture towards the idea of thinking that M16s represent perhaps the idea of exporting democracy from the West via the super power of America and its associate allies with Britain, so that we were trying to somehow equalise the implication that it’s not only the illegitimacy of the AK-47, it’s the legitimacy of the M16 which also causes violence.’

https://theartdetectivesmuse.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/m16-assault-rifles-for-sale-to-promote-peace/

Could be fun to mock with water-soluable paints.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hueto] [#22]
Spare parts build
NDS "blem" upper/lower
Bushmaster barrel w/ugly perm fh
Colt bcg
Bushmaster aluminum stock
Jhud sourced A1 sight and Sendr port door
Mix of surplus and new LPK
Stupid black ch

Attachment Attached File

I'll probably send the barrel off to Adco to swap out the flash hider for an extended A2 and change the slip ring to a flat style.

I'm also not done with the patina. Currently researching the best way to get it to the right look.

Handguards suck too...on the prowl for a beat up shiny set.

This weekend, I plan to pull the lpk and bcg out and set it on the roof of my house. Be back in about a year with results.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clockwork138] [#23]
\/ \/
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Completed and put 300 rounds through without issue.  
Colt SP1 everything but:
Brownells Type D buttstock.
Brownells "blem" BRN16E1 lower.
JSE adapter bushing and flash hider.

Now to decide which retro carbine to build.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
@Apathesis

What did you use to get that weathered look? Beautiful!
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Snake-in-the-Grass:
What did your buddy do on the rear receiver of the AR180 (where it attached to the folding buttstock)!??

https://i.ibb.co/YhddWMP/P4020035.jpg
View Quote
He had the old stock assy epoxied on to the Nodak lower. It's a little longer LOP but it still works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Retro carbine configuration is done.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 2:07:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apathesis] [#28]
@LUVMYGUNS
Thanks!  Green scotch pad.  0000 steel wool.  Nylon buffing attachment on a Dremel.

In that order.  I may strip the whole thing, dip it in alodine, then coat in Perma Slik G.  Then weather again so the whole thang resembles a worn 'nam-era USGI magazine.

I have since replaced the ejection port door with a proper one from
Brownells and weathered it.

Still need an E1 upper so I can swap it out for an XM177E1 look when I so desire.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 8:22:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LUVMYGUNS] [#29]
@LUVMYGUNS
Thanks!  Green scotch pad.  0000 steel wool.  Nylon buffing attachment on a Dremel.

In that order.  I may strip the whole thing, dip it in alodine, then coat in Perma Slik G.  Then weather again so the whole thang resembles a worn 'nam-era USGI magazine.

I have since replaced the ejection port door with a proper one from
Brownells and weathered it.

Still need an E1 upper so I can swap it out for an XM177E1 look when I so desire.
View Quote
@Apathesis

Thanks for the tips. You actually answered another one of my newbie questions in your reply.
I have wondered if it was bare aluminum showing through or if it was a silver paint underneath that is made to look like bare aluminum. I have never seen one in person so I have only guessed from pictures posted on this site.
The next question I had was if it is bare aluminum then what is the process for protecting it.... never heard of alodine but I just looked it up and it sounds like a great product to use for this exact application.

This is where I am currently with my Commando build.

1/2 teaspoon of Socom Flat Black Moly Resin in a Paasche air brush container + the rest of the way with Colt Gray Black Flat Moly Resin

I have an Anderson lower that I use as my practice/ test run item for pretty much everything. Looks like it’s getting ready to get a dose of Scotch Pad, 0000 and a Dremel!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#30]
@LUVMYGUNS, Take your time and try to go in one direction with everything.  Fine nylon brush at medium speed.

I only know about alodine because I was wondering why old mags looked kinda brassy.  I definitely am tempted to experiment with it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 12:14:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: redmax28] [#31]
My Brownell's/surplus M16A1'ish clone with a C7 upper. (don't care to take brass in the eye.) Tried the upper on a NFA carbine Lower with an H2 buffer and the cyclic rate was incredibly smooth.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 6:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LUVMYGUNS] [#32]
Just finished up today. Took it to the range and it went bang every time.

The “aging” is still a work in progress. I’m open for critique and suggestions.

UPDATED

@SoloDallas

Brownell’s 6 hole hand guard

Brownell’s 6 hole hand guard

Colt 6 Hole hand guard

Colt 6 Hole hand guard
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By LUVMYGUNS:
Just finished up today. Took it to the range and it went bang every time.

The "aging" is still a work in progress. I'm open for critique and suggestions.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/383515/E72CF4E1-FEE2-4291-8324-F402E620DA55-1006025.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/383515/05E4F41B-7319-4E78-A27E-CF0E0E7F9E09-1006026.jpg
View Quote
There's nothing to critique with perfection.

Only note: the hand guards; the original ones were pretty shiny - you want to try and emulate that.
But other than that, it's absolutely gorgeous - and the aging is masterful
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]
There's nothing to critique with perfection.

Only note: the hand guards; the original ones were pretty shiny - you want to try and emulate that.
But other than that, it's absolutely gorgeous - and the aging is masterful
View Quote
Thank you for the compliment!

I appreciate the feedback regarding the hand guards as well. Do you have a method or idea on how to go about making them shiny?

I have scoured the internet and EE to find used 6 hole hand guards but pretty much everything I have found is new.

Thanks again. This is my first retro assembly and my first gun to distress the finish on. I admit, I was pretty nervous about scuffing it up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Thank you for the compliment!

I appreciate the feedback regarding the hand guards as well. Do you have a method or idea on how to go about making them shiny?

I have scoured the internet and EE to find used 6 hole hand guards but pretty much everything I have found is new.

Thanks again. This is my first retro assembly and my first gun to distress the finish on. I admit, I was pretty nervous about scuffing it up.
View Quote
Course you were nervous, would have been as well - but you did it great.

PS you didn't look well enough but now you did. Buy them here, right now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Course you were nervous, would have been as well - but you did it great.

PS you didn't look well enough but now you did. Buy them here, right now.
View Quote
You are killing me. I just bought that hand guard.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#37]

You are killing me. I just bought that hand guard.
View Quote
Tell Geno I say hello!!!

(Fil)
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ve had one of the Brownells retro uppers laying around and have been wanting to do an A1 style SBR.  While looming at ordering a barrel I remembered that I parted out an old carbine and had the complete upper in my parts box. So I put the Brownells upper back in the bin and threw a M4RAS on the upper and attached it to one of my spare SBR lowers.  It’s a VERY handy feeling little rifle that may become my new truck gun.

Link Posted: 8/19/2019 8:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#40]
Not really an A1 or retro, but I mixed current stuff with an A1 to get a nice, lightweight rifle.  Barrel is a 16" midlength lightweight (.625" under the FSB), Nodak A1 upper, Aero lower and a PSA parts kit.  A1 is obviously lighter gray but I kind of like it so far.  Still waiting on an A1 front sight post to go shoot it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Brownells Blem lower/upper, barrel assy, port cover, grey mag button. GI furniture and bits from parts collection.

Link Posted: 8/20/2019 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By myfakename:
Not really an A1 or retro, but I mixed current stuff with an A1 to get a nice, lightweight rifle.  Barrel is a 16" midlength lightweight (.625" under the FSB), Nodak A1 upper, Aero lower and a PSA parts kit.  A1 is obviously lighter gray but I kind of like it so far.  Still waiting on an A1 front sight post to go shoot it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190819_171011_jpg-1060445.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20190819_170217_jpg-1060447.JPG
View Quote
Nice!! I built a similar carbine years ago and love it, very handy!
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

My legal SBR XM-ish Israeli-ish rifle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3030ai] [#45]
Some of my Retro children...

First, my AR: I'm waiting on my lower from Brownells so the A2 is a place holder for now.  I wanted to build a rifle that I had for a while when I was in the Army.  I managed to get my hands on an XM16E1 that was a bit of a mixmaster.  It had (as this one does), a later A1 barrel, green pistol grip, and the trap door buttstock.  So the trapdoor buttstock is the only piece missing once I get my lower.  Oh, and the one I had was black, not gray (for that, I can only assume it was refinished at some point).

Other guns in the photo.

Sterling Mk 6
Inland M1 Carbine (1942)
Sterling AR180 w/Armalite scope
XM16E1
FAL (Got walnut furniture, just haven't fitted yet)
Colt .38 Super
Browning 1910
Colt 1903
Radom VIS
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:
In a recent TFB article, they pointed out some A1(ish) rifles were dusted off and used in response to the recent Baton Rouge police shootings.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b450/fleet777/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvndfcv4f.jpeg

It appears both receivers have been replaced. The upper now being a C7/A1 with shell deflector/A2 with field sights and lower being an A2. It also looks like the third pin has been removed so perhaps this department isn't full-auto friendly. Despite it being a sad and maddening situation, it's pretty cool to see these old rifles still in use.

ETA:  Would this configuration more likey be the result of colt using up old parts at the factory or being a surplus rifle with parts replaced?
View Quote
After the Hollywood shootout, the DOD started offering M16A1's to a lot of LE agencies for $1.  So many bought them not realizing they were select fire.  When their bosses learned they were select fire, many got pulled off the streets.  Many were converted to semi-auto's.  Some agencies swapped out lowers, others went full custom; it was all over the map.  So that rifle in the photo could be one that was changed in a number of ways.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Left to right:  Prototype #27, Prototype #11 (in progress), 601 (type A stock, all original furniture, original upper receiver), 601 (type B stock, original stock and grip), 604, 605, 607 (top, in progress), 609 (bottom, original acetate stock, in progress), A1, A1, retro-ish .556 carbine, retro-ish 300 BLK carbine.

I need to re-spray the two 601 lowers with Norrells at some point in the future, they turned out too dark and shiny (happens sometimes with Norrells if your temperature runs too high when baking - easy fix, just spray a very light coat over the existing finish and bake again).  I've done a respray on a couple of lowers and gotten a nice matte finish on the second try (the 607 was sprayed twice).  Plus, if you want a worn look, you can expose some of the shiny undercoat with a little steel wool.  Gives it a burnished appearance in wear areas without wearing through to bare aluminum.  Same color, just shiny.  Looks a lot like naturally aged anodizing.

Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:46:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pauldoe] [#49]
Nice collection - I especially like the XM177-ish carbine on the far right of the picture (with no forward assist). I have an upper shipping done in  that configuration, and am looking to re-etch a lower with correct markings (if I can find any pictures).
Incidentally, has anyone re-welded a lower's manufacturer markings to try to do this (e.g., then etch retro markings)?
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#50]
All Colt...All day long.

Page / 39
Retro Picture Thread #2! (Page 36 of 39)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top