[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What Brace is THAT?
View Quote
What brace is that?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
This is the smallest rifle I have. Made from spare parts and a drunk ordered 7" barrel (5.56).  I f**ing hate this thing. Miserable to shoot. And yes that is a carry handle with a flip up front sight  
Yet, this is the first gun that non gun people always seem to gravitate to. Totally skip over the mp5, ak, proper ar15's, scorpion and others. They go for the redneck ghetto blaster.

Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What brace is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What Brace is THAT?
What brace is that?
http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/products/accessories/product/47-kes-ar15

Almost $500 with the options I'd like
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You said what you said, tattle tale sally.  Don't go backpedaling now.
View Quote
Not back peddling anything. You quoted only the first line of the post. That's CNN shit, take it out of context.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Just wondering, are they little more than range toys or do they have real world applications? Serious question.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just wondering, are they little more than range toys or do they have real world applications? Serious question.
View Quote
They fit in small places and will still kill the fuck out of anyone.

If that counts as applications.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They fit in small places and will still kill the fuck out of anyone.

If that counts as applications.
View Quote
Pretty much. I have an 8.5 in .300 AAC as my truck gun. Wondering if I can go shorter without compromising performance too much.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think most build them as range toys, but with the right ammo(think expanding not fragmenting) I see no reason that it couldn't be a viable solution within normal civilian engagement distances.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think most build them as range toys, but with the right ammo(think expanding not fragmenting) I see no reason that it couldn't be a viable solution within normal civilian engagement distances.
View Quote
75g hollow or soft point for my shorties.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Getting ready to do a 4.5" 5.56 with an old M16 barrel I have that has already been chopped down. Will look into the Beritas gas tube. Thanks for the thread OP.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

75g hollow or soft point for my shorties.
View Quote
I run 75g gold dots for my 10.5’s but I got 55g gold dots for my 7.5. More speed helps.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
What muzzle device do you guys prefer on a short barreled 5.56mm pistol? I just built a 7.5" AR15 pistol from a PSA kit but it came with A2 muzzle break. I want something to concentrate the blast forward, away from the shooter. Getting a "silencer" is a no go in my county. The sheriff won't sign the forms, even for his deputies. I don't want to go through all the crap to establish a trust.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 For the Kaw Valley Precision linear comp.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What muzzle device do you guys prefer on a short barreled 5.56mm pistol? I just built a 7.5" AR15 pistol from a PSA kit but it came with A2 muzzle break. I want something to concentrate the blast forward, away from the shooter. Getting a "silencer" is a no go in my county. The sheriff won't sign the forms, even for his deputies. I don't want to go through all the crap to establish a trust.
View Quote
a flash can or linear compensator would be best.

as for the Sheriff he can suck an egg! One of the good things (only good thing??) of the 41P executive order O passed is that you no longer need the CLEO signature. You do what they call a RPQ (responsible persons questionnaire) which you now just notify your CLEO they have no weight anymore. Form 1's are coming back as fast as a few weeks so if you wanted to build your own you could be set within a short amount of time. Eform 4's are supposed to go live by the end of the year or early 2019.

@Gyprat Poke poke
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

a flash can or linear compensator would be best.

as for the Sheriff he can suck an egg! One of the good things (only good thing??) of the 41P executive order O passed is that you no longer need the CLEO signature. You do what they call a RPQ (responsible persons questionnaire) which you now just notify your CLEO they have no weight anymore. Form 1's are coming back as fast as a few weeks so if you wanted to build your own you could be set within a short amount of time. Eform 4's are supposed to go live by the end of the year or early 2019.

@Gyprat Poke poke
View Quote
Thanks. I assume the procedure is the same in every state, right? Any idea, how long the whole process takes?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:13:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks. I assume the procedure is the same in every state, right? Any idea, how long the whole process takes?
View Quote
Should be unless they are flat out outlawed in your state (CA comes to mind) Those are the new federal laws.

The Eform system is back up for form 1's (ie. build it yourself approach) I'm reading that their being approved as fast as 12-15 day! Form 4's are still on a slow boat from china (manufactured cans)

So that leaves you 2 options 1 try your hand at building your own (if you have any mechanical capabilities it's fairly easy by using solvent traps (ie. tubes with mounting interfaces but no hole drilled in the cap yet Diversified Machine is one of the front runners here. Then there are cones out there that just require drilling (clipping is very beneficial and can be done with a dremel and patients if you don't have access to a mill)

Option 2 is Buy the components and send them to a SOT and have them finish it for you. I highly regard ECCO Machine and there are others Rusty is a common one out there as well. You will likely end up close to the cost of a commercial can going this route but end up with a product as good or better. I want to say that you could even send a tube with your info on it and they could even do your baffle stack.

you could still go the form 4 route and hurry up and wait.

The ATF says they'll have form 4's back on the Eform system by the end of the year or early 2019. waiting for this could likely end up being a shorter wait than a Paper formed F4 sent right now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for your reply! I wish I had access to a lathe to build my own can, from scratch. Unfortunately, I'm limited to basic hand tools right now. either way, I'll do the paperwork first to make it 110% legal.

Another dumb question, if you don't mind (this is all new to me): Should I do the paperwork myself or use help from one of those legal helpers? I've their advertisement at the gun show. This was 4-5 years ago though.   To do it myself, I just search for "NFA Form 1", right?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for your reply! I wish I had access to a lathe to build my own can, from scratch. Unfortunately, I'm limited to basic hand tools right now. either way, I'll do the paperwork first to make it 110% legal.

Another dumb question, if you don't mind (this is all new to me): Should I do the paperwork myself or use help from one of those legal helpers? I've their advertisement at the gun show. This was 4-5 years ago though.   To do it myself, I just search for "NFA Form 1", right?
View Quote
@Gyprat

If this is for just you I would just go to the ATF's Eform system and file via E-forms (form1) ATF Eform

If you want to setup a trust then I would recommend silencershop's gun trust(what I used). Just know that everyone on the trust needs to file a RPQ and meet the criteria of said form under the new law. https://www.silencershop.com/nfa-gun-trust.html

A few little tips. Keep your silencers model, and serials simple to lessen the amount of engraving needed.

Aim long. From my understanding you can file for a longer than you need suppressor and be in the clear if you want it shorter. however if you do the opposite you need to notify the ATF of the change. ie. if you put say 8" on your form you could build a 6" and no need to notify the ATF however if you did the opposite you could theoretically get in trouble if it made it that far.

Caliber needs to be within reason of what your submitting. so don't submit as 22 cal and make a 50 or vice versus. you can also submit a letter stating the change if you had a last minute change of heart.

You can change thing around as much as you like until you fire a round through it. once there is a round fired it's set in stone and you can no longer make major changes (you can remove material from baffles ie. clip, swap them around,  ect.. but you cannot replace or add parts to it.

Feel free to stop by the build it yourself silencer sub forum in the armory section or better yet silencertalk.com a great group of guys as well.(and higher traffic)
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Garred, thanks for the information. Guys, sorry to sidetrack this thread.

BTW, the founding fathers should have included supressors in the Second Amendment. All we need it for is to enjoy our hobby without damaging eardrums and annoying others nearby.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What Brace is THAT?
What brace is that?

And all that high priced nonsense can be avoided by using the superior SBA3 brace that can be had for about a Franklin and change.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:02:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Rut-Ro! Looks like ATF jumped in around the middle of page one
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And all that high priced nonsense can be avoided by using the superior SBA3 brace that can be had for about a Franklin and change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What Brace is THAT?
What brace is that?

SBA3 is a lot longer. I got a Maxim because I needed my last AR to fit in a specific space. This looks a lot more attractive than the Maxim though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I would hate to see this thread die and I am in the middle a 4.75'' 300Blk build so I have some questions:

1) With a 4.75" 300blk would I see much benefit in an adjustable gas block?
2) With a 4.75" 300blk would I see much benefit to a muzzle device that increases backpressure?
3) With a 4.75" 300blk would there be any particular sensitivities to the buffer weights? All the 300blk I have on hand is supersonic, and this pistol will not be shot suppressed. My 8.5" 300 has been easy, I am really hoping the 4.75" won't require much tuning.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#25]
It's not done yet, but here is the build so far. 4.75"

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Rut-Ro! Looks like ATF jumped in around the middle of page one
View Quote
Me?  Nope. It hurt but had to do it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Right at 20", will probably be changing out the muzzle for a SF Warden soon.

-KAK 4.75" Barrel
-DD 4.0 Rail (discontinued)
-Guntec Muzzle
-Strike Industries PDW Stabilizer
-Magpul AFG
-Matech Rear BUIS
-MI Front BUIS
-Radian CH

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Specs please.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Disregard
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#30]
What is the model number for this hand guard?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#35]
That's sharp, what length bbl and rail?

Deets man I need em.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@Northcountry2007

I like that stock. Yes I said stock because the KES you have there with the tailhook adapter unfortunately puts the LOP (fully extended) at 13.5", the point at which the ATF is considers it a stock. According to their own description anyway. Can you please measure your longest LOP (from the face of the trigger to the back of the tailhook) and please prove me wrong, 'cause I'd love to get one.
View Quote
Sorry about the delay in answering those asking on here.  My work keeps me away from home for 2-3 months at a time.

Anyway.....yes it is a Safety Harbor KES, and cost was just under $500 for the BRACE alone.  I say "BRACE" because it IS A BRACE.  LOP is 13" even with it not charged. Once charged LOP is 13 5/16", and that's a heavy measurement.  There is nearly 1/4" on the LOP to spare.....and.....there are triggers available that would reduce that number even further, but I highly doubt the boogeyman (ATF) is coming after anybody even if it was sitting right at 13.5".
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#37]
It’s a 300bo 5” micro barrel assembly and a 5.5 inch rail from slr rifle works. The linear  compensator is also from slr riflecworks.  Gibbz upper and radian lower
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It’s a 300bo 5” micro barrel assembly and a 5.5 inch rail from slr rifle works. The linear  compensator is also from slr riflecworks.  Gibbz upper and radian lower
View Quote
I posted my similar one earlier in the thread, but here's another shot. I love SLR's stuff:

Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I like your builds.  I’ve always wanted a Faxon upper
Do u like it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like your builds.  I’ve always wanted a Faxon upper
Do u like it?
View Quote
I just got it recently... so can't completely say as I haven't fired it.

But, the fit, finish, etc. I love it. Very sturdy and even cooler looking in real life.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't need CLEO signatures anymore, just notifications.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just got it recently... so can't completely say as I haven't fired it.
But, the fit, finish, etc. I love it. Very sturdy and even cooler looking in real life.
View Quote
I NEED a Faxon 12.5" BAU / Bolt, but I don't WANT to spend $500 one one...
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You don't need CLEO signatures anymore, just notifications.
View Quote
Yep, the only good thing to come out of 41p. Grinchy CLEO's can't screw you over anymore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Nearly done and love it. About 14" folded too.

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:53:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Right at 20", will probably be changing out the muzzle for a SF Warden soon.

-KAK 4.75" Barrel
-DD 4.0 Rail (discontinued)
-Guntec Muzzle
-Strike Industries PDW Stabilizer
-Magpul AFG
-Matech Rear BUIS
-MI Front BUIS
-Radian CH

https://i.imgur.com/9aNCYEYh.jpg
View Quote
Which gas block and tube are you using? Standard carbine buffer and spring? How's it run?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Gas block and tube from KAK also. Brace comes with proprietary flat spring and buffer. Haven't gotten around to going to the range with this one, waiting to finish another build to take them out both.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The IMI Defense FSG fits.  This is a 4.5" rail.

https://i.imgur.com/UAzXv1o.jpg
View Quote
It's funny that I built the 'same' pistol using a Spikes 9mm lower, Matrix sidecharging upper, Laws folder with SBA3 brace and that very 'rail'.

I've been looking at that IMI FSG for a while trying to decide whether to chance it fitting over the rear clamping area without so much modding that it fit poorly.

I appreciate the info and pix, I ordered one last night.

@cochraneap
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:24:21 AM EDT
[#48]
please excuse my ignorance on this one, but I've read on this site, which seems to be false, that adding the folding mechanism to the receiver extension and then carrying in a backpack is a no-no according to the ATF. I'm not running off to email them, but I am curious since it's been brought up. I have seriously considered a micro setup, and still am. thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:52:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
please excuse my ignorance on this one, but I've read on this site, which seems to be false, that adding the folding mechanism to the receiver extension and then carrying in a backpack is a no-no according to the ATF. I'm not running off to email them, but I am curious since it's been brought up. I have seriously considered a micro setup, and still am. thanks in advance.
View Quote
Could be depending on state laws. Otherwise, it would be a concealed handgun, no different than the Glock on my belt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Could be depending on state laws. Otherwise, it would be a concealed handgun, no different than the Glock on my belt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not sure I follow, are you referring to concealing a pistol in a backpack could violate state law? I've read previously that adding a folder and carrying in a backpack for some reason creates an NFA item. I'm just trying to figure out if that's true or not.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top