Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2017 4:51:14 AM EDT
It's been quite a while since SB tactical got their letter back. My initial scepticism on the interpretation of that letter has only grown as time has passed without any letters from anyone else, as well as having some conversations with actual ATF agents in person.

How long does a letter response for something like that usually take, anyways?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What letter?
If you are referring to a ''Pistol not becoming a SBR because of how it is held'' there is not going to be a special letter for each and every brace.
The BATFE (does not) and did not give special consideration to any one brace that makes it allowed to be a stock. A brace is not a stock, period.
A letter that addresses an interpretation from the ATF would be a general ruling that applies to all braces.
Determining if a ''brace passes as a brace'' would be on a brace to brace basis. Determining how a brace can be held is a general concept that must apply to all.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]
They supposedly were seeking a written letter from ATF stating their braces are OK to shoulder too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They supposedly were seeking a written letter from ATF stating their braces are OK to shoulder too.
View Quote
What I've seen discussed is that the reason shouldering braces/tubes was ok, according to the ATF, was because they couldn't dictate what you did with an item once it was approved as legal to use.  So I can use a brace for lashing to my arm for stability, shouldering, propping my office door open, etc...and legal means legal.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What I've seen discussed is that the reason shouldering braces/tubes was ok, according to the ATF, was because they couldn't dictate what you did with an item once it was approved as legal to use.  So I can use a brace for lashing to my arm for stability, shouldering, propping my office door open, etc...and legal means legal.  
View Quote
I don't care about the online jib-jab from people unqualified to speak on the topic. I care about what ATF says themselves. I've talked to two different agents in person who say SB Tactical interpretation of the letter is wrong, but they don't know when any of that is going to go into writing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
/end
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

/end
View Quote
Are you an attorney? ATF agent maybe?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't care about the online jib-jab from people unqualified to speak on the topic. I care about what ATF says themselves. I've talked to two different agents in person who say SB Tactical interpretation of the letter is wrong, but they don't know when any of that is going to go into writing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should write a letter.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well I was hoping the good folks at shockwave would save me the effort.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you read the letter? If not, I suggest you do and make up your own mind. It's pretty clear regarding pistol braces.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Have you read the letter? If not, I suggest you do and make up your own mind. It's pretty clear regarding pistol braces.
View Quote
No i totally didn't read the letter at all before talking up two different ATF guys about it
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No i totally didn't read the letter at all before talking up two different ATF guys about it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF Agents are notorious for being ignorant on the very laws they're supposed to be enforcing.  If they're not with Tech Branch or Legal, their personal opinion is just that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ATF Agents are notorious for being ignorant on the very laws they're supposed to be enforcing.  If they're not with Tech Branch or Legal, their personal opinion is just that.
View Quote
Notorious? Sorry, what? If you're referring to the dumbass who seized the batch of toy guns a few years ago, sure. Both agents told me that the directive the bureau has given them is that it is not legal to use a pistol brace as a shoulder stock.

I'm not asking you to believe me, anyways. I'm just telling you what I know, and wondering if anyone has gotten anything new in writing. I have no idea how fast ATF is to process letters like that, though I suppose if it's anything like the NFA branch it could take quite a while...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.....getting a FTB determination clarification from an "agent", who spends most of his time doing FFL compliance inspections, or busting cigarette resellers, is akin to getting the lowdown on US Strategic Nuclear policy from an E3 in a motorpool......
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep.....getting a FTB determination clarification from an "agent", who spends most of his time doing FFL compliance inspections, or busting cigarette resellers, is akin to getting the lowdown on US Strategic Nuclear policy from an E3 in a motorpool......
View Quote
Hmm, should I trust the opinion of someone wearing a badge... or an armchair commando...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hmm, should I trust the opinion of someone wearing a badge... or an armchair commando...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should have posted this in GD if you're going to sling insults.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seeing as the armchair commandos have been proven correct more often than the ATF agents...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Seeing as the armchair commandos have been proven correct more often than the ATF agents...
View Quote
[citation needed]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe you should have posted this in GD if you're going to sling insults.
View Quote
My GD shitposting quota for the day expired
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Both agents told me that the directive the bureau has given them is that it is not legal to use a pistol brace as a shoulder stock. 
View Quote
And this is still the case, even with the latest letter. You can't use the brace intending for it to be a stock. It is, and always has been about intent. If you build the gun with the intent of using it as a stock, then it's a stock and it's an SBR. If it's built with the intent to use it as a brace, then it's fine. If through it's use as a brace, it touches your shoulder, the latest letter says that this does not constitute a redesign and it's not an SBR. How is this not clear to you? This is why some agents have said that even with the new letter, the ultimately nothing has changed. All it means is that they're not going to go after people for using the brace and it happens to touch their shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then wtf is the issue? The letter states "...an NFA firearm has not necessarily been made when the device is not reconfigured for use as a should stock, even if the attached firearm happens to be fired from the shoulder."

1. Call/email SB Tactical and ask them about it
2. Accept the answer we're giving you
3. Believe your ATF buddies
4. Call the ATF and ask them and while you have them on the phone ask if they recovered the rest of their weapons from their "Fast and Furious" operation.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And this is still the case, even with the latest letter. You can't use the brace intending for it to be a stock. It is, and always has been about intent. If you build the gun with the intent of using it as a stock, then it's a stock and it's an SBR. If it's built with the intent to use it as a brace, then it's fine. If through it's use as a brace, it touches your shoulder, the latest letter says that this does not constitute a redesign and it's not an SBR. How is this not clear to you? This is why some agents have said that even with the new letter, the ultimately nothing has changed. All it means is that they're not going to go after people for using the brace and it happens to touch their shoulder.
View Quote
Well, that hasn't been consistent to what SBT or the gun blogs have been preaching. Or at least, they haven't mentioned the "intent" factor if that's the case.

Either way, didn't come here to argue just wanted to see if anyone found any new letters, which clearly it doesn't look that way. FWIW I do what I want on my private property.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seems to me like you shouldn't have even bothered to ask here then......

Why don't you just SBR whatever you're considering putting a brace on and shouldering ? That is your intent correct?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Seems to me like you shouldn't have even bothered to ask here then......

Why don't you just SBR whatever you're considering putting a brace on and shouldering ? That is your intent correct?
View Quote
I didn't ask for people's opinions regarding what the letter had to say. Literally said I do not care about the online jib-jab from the start, I want word directly from the government body that has the power to enforce whatever it is.

And I'm on day 139 of my wait on a Form 1 individual SBR. I just would've figured shockwave would have heard back from ATF by now, is all. Like i said though, if they're anything like the NFA branch then it can take a while.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I didn't ask for people's opinions regarding what the letter had to say. Literally said I do not care about the online jib-jab from the start, I want word directly from the government body that has the power to enforce whatever it is.

And I'm on day 139 of my wait on a Form 1 individual SBR. I just would've figured shockwave would have heard back from ATF by now, is all. Like i said though, if they're anything like the NFA branch then it can take a while.
View Quote
Then it's a good thing you posed the question on this website.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

FWIW I do what I want on my private property.
View Quote
Then what the hell would it matter....
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Then what the hell would it matter....
View Quote
Hey, i didn't say I break the law on my own property
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then GTFO ARFCOM, and contact those individuals/agencies.

Your only question to members here was "How long does a letter response for something like that usually take, anyways?"  And since that is a subjective question depending on many factors an educated opinion is all you will get here.  Get your shit straight before being an ass to everyone else
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your only question to members here was "How long does a letter response for something like that usually take, anyways?"  And since that is a subjective question depending on many factors an educated opinion is all you will get here.  Get your shit straight before being an ass to everyone else
View Quote
Gotta agree here.  If what the OP wants is for the ATF, in writing, to tell him something AND he does not want discussion based on what we have read from the ATF....seems like he needs to contact the ATF directly.  Anything else would seem like it defeats the purpose of a discussion on a forum.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Concerned OP starts "online jib-jab" thread to declare his dislike of "online jib-jab".

Yep, you're suspect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gotta agree here.  If what the OP wants is for the ATF, in writing, to tell him something AND he does not want discussion based on what we have read from the ATF....seems like he needs to contact the ATF directly.  Anything else would seem like it defeats the purpose of a discussion on a forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100 to these comments.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was being sarcastic.

Enough with the GD letters already.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, this thread did not go well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow, this thread did not go well.
View Quote
Every thread that has ATF and letters in it goes this way.

Most people are observant enough not to start them anymore.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

If you won't listen to anyone else, I guess you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]
If you are this concerned, the brace is not for you. It's not for everyone, well it is actually, but you know what I mean. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#36]
join date - check
topic - check

why do we even bother answering these anymore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I wish people (like OP I'm afraid) would stop questioning everything about Braces and Shoulders or ATF will decide, or told to decide, to look at Braces again like they are now doing with bump stocks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wish people (like OP I'm afraid) would stop questioning everything about Braces and Shoulders or ATF will decide, or told to decide, to look at Braces again like they are now doing with bump stocks.
View Quote
That would require BALLS and/or BRAINS.

Based on several of the recent threads and posts, many of these folks seem to lack both.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Jesus
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Concerned OP starts "online jib-jab" thread to declare his dislike of "online jib-jab".

Yep, you're suspect.
View Quote
Yep, this question has been gone over and over. The ATF letter on shouldering is plain as day to me.

Jeeeeeeez
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Questions I asked in this thread:

Has shockwave or anyone else gotten their letters yet?

Questions I didn't ask in this thread:

Can you shoulder a pistol brace?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The message I received this morning from the ATF said around 90 days for replies. Replies are given by mail. ATF will also send you an Email but still 90 days. I assume an Email would be faster than the included mailed letter by a couple days?
Someone should expect at least 3 months for a reply no matter what.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The message I received this morning from the ATF said around 90 days for replies. Replies are given by mail. ATF will also send you an Email but still 90 days. I assume an Email would be faster than the included mailed letter by a couple days?
Someone should expect at least 3 months for a reply no matter what.
View Quote
Thanks, that's interesting. The news broke in april so it's been what, 6 months now? Jeez.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you want to know if the company that makes the Shockwave brace has received a letter, then you should ask them; and not start a thread asking people not connected to that company to answer for them.  The same goes for any other manufacturers of Braces.

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]
 Possible hope for 13ers?  

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Saw this reference on KAK Shockwave site.  Link
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Saw this reference on KAK Shockwave site.  Link
View Quote
Yeah I remember seeing that, though Tim from MAC basically all but said he was full of shit and questioned whether the tech branch even takes phone calls without a letter.... slapfighting proceeded after that.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top