Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 7:23:01 AM EDT
I have been wanting to do a 10.5" build.  But ballistically, according to this chart I don't see a significant difference between the 10.5" and 8.5".  Is this data inaccurate?  Anything else to consider?  I only ask because 8.5" is readily available.  

Also, functionally....any downsides compared to a 10.5"?  Maybe a massive fireball out the end vs a 10.5" that might now have it....a lot louder vs. the 10.5"....etc. etc....??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I reduced the fireball with my 7.5" with hand loads using H322... blast with a LeVang linear comp on the 7.5 is similar to blast when compared to a flash can on the 10.3 with M855 from shooter's perspective
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
2 inches makes a little difference in velocity but neither 10.5 or 8.5'' is optimal anyway.
As far as reliability the 8.5 will use a pistol length gas system and have about 1'' more distance between the muzzle and gas block hole in the barrel.  The longer distance will be an advantage for the 8.5'' during cycling but overall length is an advantage for 10.5''. Either can be made to work fine.
The blast is big with either but the 8.5 will be a bigger blast. Both can be tamed with the best flash hider and blast forwarding device you can get.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top