Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2017 8:46:46 PM EDT
Modified my shockwave to look like a CAR stock. Blade still functions as intended and cap screw still tightens against buffer tube like original. Lever does not adjust stock and is for looks only. Am I going to pistol hell?

Trying to post from imgur. What am I doing wrong? Direct copy and paste of the URL into the image icon not working. ( I figured it out.)
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
you need to copy the img location and paste that into the img box.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Why don't you write a letter to atf about it
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you write a letter to atf about it  
View Quote
And here it comes....why? What would I ask them? Does adding a non-functioning piece of plastic reclass a firearm brace to a butt stock?

Pistol braces are defined by there intended design. This changes nothing about the intended design. I did remove the lower strap slot as it was worthless. No way to use it with a workable strap due to the angle. Changing the position on the buffer tube is still accomplished the way the designers envisioned. loosening up a screw, moving the brace, then retightening the screw.

Why are so many convinced the end user can not make any cosmetic changes to a gun part? Boggles the mind.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And here it comes....why? What would I ask them? Does adding a non-functioning piece of plastic reclass a firearm brace to a butt stock?

Pistol braces are defined by there intended design. This changes nothing about the intended design. I did remove the lower strap slot as it was worthless. No way to use it with a workable strap due to the angle. Changing the position on the buffer tube is still accomplished the way the designers envisioned. loosening up a screw, moving the brace, then retightening the screw.

Why are so many convinced the end user can not make any cosmetic changes to a gun part? Boggles the mind.
View Quote
I was half joking. Though, you asked, so clearly there's a question in your mind about it's legality.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, even taking the strap off of a SIG brace made it illegal at one point or another.

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IIRC, even taking the strap off of a SIG brace made it illegal at one point or another.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks nice.
I had thought about doing the same thing but making the lever workable and installing it on a 6 position tube. There is nothing illegal about adjustable braces or standard buffer tubes on a pistol anyway.
Constructive intent would be the only thing I can imagine as an issue due to ease of swapping to a stock. Even constructive intent would really be reaching for illegality where there is non.
I have never got around to making my braces adjustable but still may do it eventually. Yours looks real good functional or not.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Brace = SBR.

No, really, the whole point is to put a stock on a pistol. We can argue it to kingdom come, but the workaround was intended to skirt regulation and the ATF couldn't stop it. How many one armed shooters buy the brace compared to the number of able bodied?

I wouldn't worry about the ATF challenging the mod as much as some range safety employee or self appointed bystander who likes to work for them pro bono. It's deceiving in the same way an extra circular marking on the lower receiver resembles a full auto pin for the auto sear.

I agree we don't need these regs. The point is why do we need to make things that look "extra legal" at all ? Since they are as fake as a chinese Rolex it's the unlearned who think they might work. Appearance for appearances sake. The gun forum version of an aero body kit in a S10 truck. It doesn't make it adjustable, why bother?

Looks. Not function.

I shoot my pistol no brace bare buffer and I can see where the bullets hit the man size target at 25m. I don't get why so many think they need to do better, hits on a torso are exactly what it should do. I have no illusions I'm an Olympic level operator who can place hits and decide whether it's going to be a 9 ring versus 8 ring when they are shooting back at me.

Embellishing a gun to appear as if it needs an ATF stamp then leads to the next step = a fake ATF stamp. Why not? Looks cool bro.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Brace = SBR.

No, really, the whole point is to put a stock on a pistol. We can argue it to kingdom come, but the workaround was intended to skirt regulation and the ATF couldn't stop it. How many one armed shooters buy the brace compared to the number of able bodied?

I wouldn't worry about the ATF challenging the mod as much as some range safety employee or self appointed bystander who likes to work for them pro bono. It's deceiving in the same way an extra circular marking on the lower receiver resembles a full auto pin for the auto sear.

I agree we don't need these regs. The point is why do we need to make things that look "extra legal" at all ? Since they are as fake as a chinese Rolex it's the unlearned who think they might work. Appearance for appearances sake. The gun forum version of an aero body kit in a S10 truck. It doesn't make it adjustable, why bother?

Looks. Not function.

I shoot my pistol no brace bare buffer and I can see where the bullets hit the man size target at 25m. I don't get why so many think they need to do better, hits on a torso are exactly what it should do. I have no illusions I'm an Olympic level operator who can place hits and decide whether it's going to be a 9 ring versus 8 ring when they are shooting back at me.

Embellishing a gun to appear as if it needs an ATF stamp then leads to the next step = a fake ATF stamp. Why not? Looks cool bro.
View Quote
For a lot of people, working on and improving their guns ''visually'' and ''mechanically'' is a hobby and enjoyable to them.  Even if  an alteration does nothing more than improve the way a gun looks to someone it is a meaningful endeavor if it is enjoyable and makes them happy. Life's to short to live with ugly guns and I don't think I'm alone when I say ''a pretty gun seems to shoot better''.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks cool OP but it's just asking for trouble. You took a step to make it look more like a stock, and added something that may be painful against your wrist if you "use it as intended". Some special agent is getting a solid chub just looking at it right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I have no questions about it's legality. Been a rash of self regulating individuals making comments on any thread about any mod that they thought was illegal or close to being illegal. Thought maybe that crowd would show up here. I'm surprised they didn't show.

Anyway, Test fired it held against my firing arm and while you can feel the edge of the lever, it doesn't cause any pain. The brace is adjusted back far enough the back end sits on the fleshy part of the upper forearm. Fired it with a 10.5" barrel and it is a bit front heavy for one handed firing. Should of used a 7" or 8" barrel for better balance. An addition of a strap would be helpful but the brace needs another horizontal slot machined in the bottom rear for the strap to go around the forearm.

KAK tube does not interfere with the charging handle as I've seen others post about. It is tough to tell if the screw is actually in the dimples or not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have no questions about it's legality. Been a rash of self regulating individuals making comments on any thread about any mod that they thought was illegal or close to being illegal. Thought maybe that crowd would show up here. I'm surprised they didn't show.

Anyway, Test fired it held against my firing arm and while you can feel the edge of the lever, it doesn't cause any pain. The brace is adjusted back far enough the back end sits on the fleshy part of the upper forearm. Fired it with a 10.5" barrel and it is a bit front heavy for one handed firing. Should of used a 7" or 8" barrel for better balance. An addition of a strap would be helpful but the brace needs another horizontal slot machined in the bottom rear for the strap to go around the forearm.

KAK tube does not interfere with the charging handle as I've seen others post about. It is tough to tell if the screw is actually in the dimples or not.
View Quote
I have a pistol and dont use a brace.... I think its dumb and brings attention to yourself that you probably desire.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Sigh. So now I desire attention? Nice accusation.

Don't want to use a brace out of fear? Sucks to be you. Bad mouth those that do....I go back to my point about self regulation from irrational fear.

I posted the picture of the mods to show It is possible to increase the aesthetic value of the blade while still retaining it's original use and not changing its design.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Deluxe Emod lever version?  The lever is not actually attached or functional, just holding it in place with the screw driver for the photo.
An Emod lever does fit without any alteration to the brace because of the wrap around shape. Likely a better lever to use if you come across one for your next project.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sigh. So now I desire attention? Nice accusation.

Don't want to use a brace out of fear? Sucks to be you. Bad mouth those that do....I go back to my point about self regulation from irrational fear.

I posted the picture of the mods to show It is possible to increase the aesthetic value of the blade while still retaining it's original use and not changing its design.
View Quote
Tango, you said right here that you wanted to argue with a certain crowd.  im providing that attention you want and now im the bad guy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#17]
This whole thread is retarded. Do what you want OP, you can find lots of different sources that show that modifying your brace to make it less usable as a brace turns it into a shoulder stock in the eyes of the atf.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]
My mod does not make the brace less usable as a brace. It is cosmetic only. Won't matter here in a few months when I SBR the gun. I'll keep the 10.5" barrel, add a CAR stock, a front sight base, skinny hand guards, an XM177 type moderator and make an XM177 replica in 300 BLK.

Love the spirited conversation though. Have a nice day.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top