Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2017 10:55:58 AM EDT
The goal is having a muzzle device that will help with flash and sound if possible due to the fact that is would be used indoors as a supplemental home defense.  I can't figure out if a flash hider will be best or a compensator or brake?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Something like the Kaw Valley Precision Linear Comp, or other linear compensators, may help.  But, at 7.5" everything but a supressor is still going to be very loud indoors.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]
With something that short, you'll want a Noveske KX3 or similar flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
A linear comp is like a blast forwarding device?  it helps with the concussion moving forward and therefore with muzzle rise and sound?  A muzzle brake mitigates recoil but is loud?  And a flash hider just works to suppress flash some?  What about the indian creek blast forwarding device that goes over a flash hider like the YHM phantom?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a reason everyone has KAK cans on their 7.5" guns.

It's much quieter and way less blasty than my friend's 16" gun with a Lantac Dragon, for instance.

And yes, a "blast forwarding device" will make your shooting time more enjoyable in the same way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]
how do you think it compares to the Troy Claymore or the S&J linear comp or the KVP linear?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Indoors with a 7.5" there are really only a few viable options regarding noise: get a suppressor or wear some earpro or be prepared to sacrifice some hearing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I know, I agree but I want to mitigate sound the best I can without a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
It's still going to be loud indoors even with the Linear Compensator. The fireball is going to be nuts.
I tried KAK and BRT Linear Compensators.

I feel like a 10.5/11.5" with a really short 3-4 prong flash hider is the way to go.  Also Hornady 75 Grain BTHP is quieter than most loads.

I've tried out 7.5/8.5" barrels and ended up going with an 11.5" with a FH. PWS Triad worked pretty well.

If you want an ultra short pistol, 300 BLK might be the way to go.

If you are dead set on a linear comp, the one damage industries makes won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
does a 300blk out have less concussion, flash, and noise somehow?  That seems counter intuitive to me?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#10]
7.5inch 556 pistol build.  Haven't shot it yet (hopefully this weekend), but will be interesting to see if/how well the Dead Air FS works and if the pyro cuts down on percussion....it certainly ain't going to help with the flash.    

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
does a 300blk out have less concussion, flash, and noise somehow?  That seems counter intuitive to me?
View Quote
Still loud (nowhere as bad), but less unburned powder (less of a giant fireball).

Longer muzzle devices are more efficient than shorter ones on a 7.5"

But my opinion is:  If I am adding length and weight to my barrel, why not add actual barrel length and go with a shorter muzzle device?

Also this is what the BRT Linear Compensator did to my 10.5" 556
American Eagle 55 GR. 5.56 10.5" Barrel BRT Comp

Dont have a video of my 8.5" with the same muzzle device, but it was waaay worse.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
We sell a ton of Guntec "flash cans" or "blast cones" for $29.99 at my shop. Customers tell me they work well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I know lots of people have talked you out of it, but I have this:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-7-5-56-nato-1-7-marauder-pistol-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html
And I love it. Their custom muzzle device works amazing, and it is a ton of fun to shoot. The device really does control the blast and noise; its worth looking into...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Griffin Armament has some interesting items..............I am going to get the minimalist flash hider and blast can for my 7.5 inch pistol build
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I made a forward blasting brake for my 7.5''. I have a 3.5'' long by 1.5'' diameter tube open on the muzzle end (front end) with a Vortex flash hider inside.The flash hider actually holds the tube (forward blasting device) to the barrel. All the blast goes forward and the flash hider inside cuts down most of the blast anyway.
Does a very good job. No louder or any more flash than a 16'' when shooting.
Flash cans with flash hiders inside them seem to work well. There are companies who make similar devices.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
300blk does have less flash and concussion vs 5.56.  It is designed around a nominal 9" barrel and uses different powders so that it efficiently burns the powder by the time the bullet leaves the shorter barrels.  Compared to 5.56 which was designed around a 20" barrel which leaves a lot of unburned powder to combust after the bullet has left the barrel.  This is one of the things that causes the flash and concussion in a short barrel 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Best non-Bang for your buck
Even cheaper if you wait for a sale (up to 40% at times) and/or free shipping
If you are using normal factory 223/5.56 ammo, then a 7.5-incher will produce a large fire ball no matter what muzzle device your buy.
The best you can do with a 7.5-incher is the project the concussion and flames forward to minimize the face slap.
If you want to truly address the flash and concussion issue, then get this ammo
SBR ammo
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you are using normal factory 223/5.56 ammo, then a 7.5-incher will produce a large fire ball no matter what muzzle device your buy.
The best you can do with a 7.5-incher is the project the concussion and flames forward to minimize the face slap.
SBR ammo
View Quote
Think I may have to bit the bullet on the ammo... reviews make it sound like the perfect combo for my pistol..... hmmm
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SBR ammo
View Quote
A 7.5-incher will produce a large fire ball no matter what muzzle device your buy.

Mine has no visible flash during the day. The flash can be cut down with a flash can brake combo designed to cut it down. I made my own but it works and I'm sure someone makes similar devices.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#20]
thanks, this is all very helpful.  I may do the Harbinger, but how do you guys think it compares to the Troy Claymore or the KVH?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We sell a ton of Guntec "flash cans" or "blast cones" for $29.99 at my shop. Customers tell me they work well.
View Quote
I got one of these for my 7.5" but haven't used it yet. before it had a retro three prong on it that didn't seem that excessive when shooting out in the woods, never shot it indoors though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
thanks, this is all very helpful.  I may do the Harbinger, but how do you guys think it compares to the Troy Claymore or the KVH?
View Quote
People are gonna say FTroy and the KVP seems like it is built well. I only used one on a 9mm though. The quality and finish looks great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, I meant the KVP, not KVH, sorry.  And, I got confused, FTroy?  as in "F" Troy-dont get the troy 'cause they suck?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks, I meant the KVP, not KVH, sorry.  And, I got confused, FTroy?  as in "F" Troy-dont get the troy 'cause they suck?
View Quote
Its a long story about them, and just mentioning why is frowned upon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#25]
oh, got it, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A linear comp is like a blast forwarding device?  it helps with the concussion moving forward and therefore with muzzle rise and sound?  A muzzle brake mitigates recoil but is loud?  And a flash hider just works to suppress flash some?  What about the indian creek blast forwarding device that goes over a flash hider like the YHM phantom?
View Quote
I was thinking about the same setup except with the AAC Blackout or Seekins Prescision Rook flash hider

From what I have learned about the way a flash hider works... The prongs or slots are designed to allow the gas and unburnt powder to "escape" off to the sides between the slots in "cone" pattern away from the ignited powder that is burning in the barrel as the projectile, expanding gases and still burning powder all exit the muzzle.

the Indian creek or similar devices will reduce the effectiveness of the flash hider since they restrict the size of the "cone" the unburnt powder can travel allowing more of it to burn and create a flash rather then escaping.

A Brake or Comp use baffles and ports to force the blast in a particular pattern to lower recoil, but at the expense of moving that blast closer to the shooter then a Flash hider will.

A linear comp pushes the blast forward away from the shooter, but still increases the Flash signature over a Flash hider like a typical brake or comp would.

The good news is that its a bit less flash then just a linear comp and a flash hider generally has less concussion then a brake... but you will have to settle for a fairly significant flash if you want to use a Blast can type device to redirect the concussion.

I still think a removable can probably the best compromise since you can always remove  the BFD and just use the flash hider if you want to reduce flash signature or install the BFD if lowering concussion becomes more important.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Suppress it, anything else just isn't good enough for your application.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.

Noise, and concussion are both a result of the high pressure gases exiting the muzzle and quickly expanding, and releasing that high pressure into the surrounding ambient atmosphere (like a balloon popping)

Flash is the explosion from all of the remaining unburned powder and the still burning propellant coming in contact with one and other, then igniting in the atmosphere.

The 300 black has a lower pressure due to a larger bore then .223, allowing a greater amount of pressure to disperse in the same given barrel length over the larger internal volume found in the larger bore diameter and it also allows more propellant to burn in the barrel by the same fashion.

Those two things will lower both noise, concussion and flash.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A 7.5-incher will produce a large fire ball no matter what muzzle device your buy.

Mine has no visible flash during the day. The flash can be cut down with a flash can brake combo designed to cut it down. I made my own but it works and I'm sure someone makes similar devices.
View Quote
The dead air 556 flash hidder reduced the muzzle flash on my 7.5 inch AR pistol (pictured above) to effectively nothing on an indoor range with xm193.  When I put the Pyro on the end, I became the asshole of the range shooting a flame thrower.  Great fun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top