Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2017 11:57:31 PM EDT
I have an sbpdw, but it's pretty heavy. I wanted a light weight build. The shockwave is lighter and I thought about trying it.  Just wanted to see if anybody had tried and used both.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Get both.

Different jobs, different tools.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#2]
SB. You can get away with shouldering it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I read you can shoulder both now.  Can you not shoulder the shockwave?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
You can shoulder both. You may be in violation of federal law if you do so intentionally.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I own both.

The sbpdw is better in every way, except.....well, the weight.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Thought the ATF only signed off on the SB, not the Shockwave. I believe Shockwave came up with some Mickey Mouse letter claiming to be included in the SB Letter, when in affect they were not.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thought the ATF only signed off on the SB, not the Shockwave. I believe Shockwave came up with some Mickey Mouse letter claiming to be included in the SB Letter, when in affect they were not.
View Quote
They claimed to have spoken on the phone with the tech branch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:30:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok thanks fellas.  I am gonna reevaluate this project.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
An arm brace is an arm brace. (One does not have special privileges of being able to be used as a stock) while others do not.
None are designed to be stocks, they are designed to be arm braces but resting an ''arm brace'' against the shoulder does not magically make a ''stock''.
BATFE letters explain the agencies stance on use and design of weapons. A letter to one person explaining a rule does not make the rule specific to that person alone. Once an explanation  letter is given it is the agencies stance of a rule for everyone to follow. The BATFE does not have different rules for each person, they have rules that apply to everyone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both. If I could afford SB Tactical PDW braces on all of my AR pistols I would!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I also have the SB PDW brace on a PSA AR45 pistol, and it is a chunk of weight but it balances the pistol out.  Advantages is that no proprietary recoil parts are required, and at full extension it's about the same length as a regular stock.  If i wanted a lighter build i would go for something else...
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
ATF says you can shoulder both.  The shockwave has a very thin profile and is made of rigid plastic.  The braces made of soft rubber with more material against your shoulder are more comfortable.  The shockwave is cheaper.  If the brace being comfortable against your shoulder under heavier recoil is more important to you than the ~$170 difference, then there's your answer.  (Sometimes sig has their braces on sale from $200 to $50 and its a no brainer).
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine is going on a .22 so no worries there but may buy the shock wave to see if I like the lighter weight.  Sell which ever I don't like.  Funny how projects keep getting more expensive, just when you think you are done!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
What are you guys shooting that the recoil thru a shockwave is bothersome?
Sure isn't a big deal with 300BLK....
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know, right?  Why'd they even bother to put a buttstock and a recoil pad on the AR-15 to begin with.  Bunch of sissies in the army if you ask me.  Those guys would have been fine with a buffer tube and a flap of rigid plastic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't care for it on supers especially prone and in positions where you can't manhandle it as much.

I traded my shockwave for a sbpdw and haven't looked back. More fun to shoot and length adjustments are way faster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ATF says you can shoulder both.
View Quote
No, ATF only has said SB Tactical.

Shockwave guy made some story up. tech never gives a opinion over the phone. that's fact
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:24:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

tech never gives a opinion over the phone. that's fact
View Quote
That's according to MAC, who i'm inclined to believe but is there anyone who can actually verify this?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Shockwave guy made some story up. tech never gives a opinion over the phone. that's fact
View Quote
No, Colonel Sanders, you're wrong.  The atf said any pistol stabilizing brace.  That's fact.

Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get both.

View Quote
This^
I have both. For the money on the shockwave - get both and see how it works for your needs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This^
I have both. For the money on the shockwave - get both and see how it works for your needs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both.

This^
+1.  I currently have the Shockwave.  I think it's fine for a lightweight brace if you don't plan to adjust it often.  I usually left mine collapsed most of the way and it was the right length of pull for me, but when I changed to a shorter rail I now need to extend it when shooting and then collapse when storing.  Frequently adjusting can cause the set screw to chew up the buffer tube over time.  So I just ordered the SB PDW.  Arrives today.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I have both, installed on 2 different pistols.

The Shockwave looks good, does the job, is light and not too expensive.

The PDW looks good, does the job, is heavy (about 1 pound) and very expensive.

Right now I'm loving the PDW.

Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have both, installed on 2 different pistols.

The Shockwave looks good, does the job, is light and not too expensive.

The PDW looks good, does the job, is heavy (about 1 pound) and very expensive.

Right now I'm loving the PDW.

View Quote
Ditto that. I have both, and they are both great. While I haven't actually shot my pistol with the SBPDW brace yet, I can't imagine I wouldn't like it. It's very nice, and well built, also expensive compared to the blade. But I think it's worth the cost. Would probably get another if they were much less money.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I initially built 2 pistols with shockwave blades. I bought one PDW brace used on gunbroker and liked it so much, I ordered another one brand new at pretty much full freight. the shockwaves are now sitting in a box in my garage collecting dust. tl;dr - PDW brace is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I have both. Pdw hands down for myself.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF says you can shoulder both.

Stop telling people this.  It is incorrect.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stop telling people this.  It is incorrect.
View Quote
it is your opinion it is incorrect
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top