BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2017 1:36:58 PM EDT
I'd like to see more or less what these barrel lengths look like put together before I buy a barrel. Looking into a new KISS build. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Noveske 10.5 w/ FSB and Blade

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Any issues with the gas system? Short stroking etc? I've heard 10.5's can be finicky.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
All 10.5's. 2 on the left have flashcans on them. Got a can in jail for the middle one!  

And there's no picture. Damn you Photobucket

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any issues with the gas system? Short stroking etc? I've heard 10.5's can be finicky.
View Quote
Nah, not at all. If anything it's a bit on the over gassed side for my taste. The whole "10.5s are finicky" thing is mostly an old wives' tale at this point. If anything, manufacturers have responded to that perception by over gassing their short barrels just to make sure no one can complain.

I have a DD 10.3" with a .070 port/H buffer and that is about perfect in my opinion. The Noveske has something around .078 and it will run just about any ammo unsuppressed with an H3 buffer. It's not unpleasant to shoot at all, I just don't feel the larger port is all that necessary.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nah, not at all. If anything it's a bit on the over gassed side for my taste. The whole "10.5s are finicky" thing is mostly an old wives' tale at this point. If anything, manufacturers have responded to that perception by over gassing their short barrels just to make sure no one can complain.

I have a DD 10.3" with a .070 port/H buffer and that is about perfect in my opinion. The Noveske has something around .078 and it will run just about any ammo unsuppressed with an H3 buffer. It's not unpleasant to shoot at all, I just don't feel the larger port is all that necessary.
View Quote
What host are you using for photos? Tried imgur but it's not allowing me to post pics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What host are you using for photos? Tried imgur but it's not allowing me to post pics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure arfcom has its own image hosting, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it does I sure don't know how to work it
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have my own web hosting server ;p. A lot more reliable than free hosting services. If you don't want to use one of the free image hosting sites, you can always google "free web hosting", make an account and just upload to that.

Quoted:

Unless I'm mistaken, you need to pay for membership to access their hosting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My 10.5 with original SIG brace:

My truck gun, also a 10.5, no brace:

Both rock solid, never miss a beat. Both have H2 buffers, but both ran fine with standard carbine weight too.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hope that top one is over the measurement limit to be able to use that vertical foregrip.
View Quote
I hope it is too.

No one has ever been convicted of a NFA violation for having a VFG on any firearm, btw.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hope that top one is over the measurement limit to be able to use that vertical foregrip.
View Quote
So many rules.  I’m new to AR style pistols.  What’s the vertical grip and length requirement?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The hell is that crap strapped to your blade?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So many rules.  I’m new to AR style pistols.  What’s the vertical grip and length requirement?
View Quote
Federally:

A handgun/pistol > 26" in OAL must not have a VFG.

A handgun/pistol 26" or more in OAL, not concealed on the person,  may have a VFG, at which time it becomes a legal non-NFA firearm. Remove the VFG, it's a handgun/pistol again.

Measured from tip of barrel (muzzle device does not count unless permanently affixed as per ATF methods) to extreme "rearward point of the firearm", which is generally accepted to be the end of the buffer tube on an AR type pistol, as nothing else has specifically ever been stated as counting on that end by ATF.  Gray areas include a buffer tube on a firearm that does not need it for operation, folding adapters, and whatnot.

MI and maybe a couple of other states have their own OAL rules, though.

In the case of my heater in first pic, it uses a KAK "super tube", which brings it to 26.5" or a bit more, not counting muzzle device.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The hell is that crap strapped to your blade?
View Quote
Thyrm spare battery tube and a chemlight for operating operationally during living room operations. Didn't you know it makes it shoot better? Everyone knows that.

Mostly it's there to balance out the extra weight of the heavier profile on the Noveske N4 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't have any with mine. Running a Noveske barrel, ST-T2 Buffer and Tubbs Flat Wire Spring...runs like a top
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mostly it's there to balance out the extra weight of the heavier profile on the Noveske N4 barrel.
View Quote
While using the brace as intended right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

While using the brace as intended right?
View Quote
I don't even *think* about using braces other than as intended. If ever I am weak, and such sinful thoughts enter my mind, I immediately say 15 "Our ATFs" and feel bad for at least an hour. It goes:

Our ATF, which art in Washington
Hallowed be thy name
Thy letters come
Thy will be done
On earth, as it is in the FTB

Give us this day, our daily opinion letter
And forgive us our ignorance of brace usage
As we forgive the brace usage of others
And lead us not into shouldering
But deliver us from "redesigning"

For thine is the government
And the Bureaucracy, and the enforcer of obscure laws
For ever and ever
Amen
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#19]
11.5 with SOB brace.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#20]

10.5 with SB PDW brace, KAC RAS and a Fostech Echo 2 trigger. Trigicon RMR 06 sitting on an ADM mount up top.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't even *think* about using braces other than as intended. If ever I am weak, and such sinful thoughts enter my mind, I immediately say 15 "Our ATFs" and feel bad for at least an hour. It goes:

Our ATF, which art in Washington
Hallowed be thy name
Thy letters come
Thy will be done
On earth, as it is in the FTB

Give us this day, our daily opinion letter
And forgive us our ignorance of brace usage
As we forgive the brace usage of others
And lead us not into shouldering
But deliver us from "redesigning"

For thine is the government
And the Bureaucracy, and the enforcer of obscure laws
For ever and ever
Amen
View Quote
This may possibly be the best shitpost OC on arfcom
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

10.5" with SB brace with a 16" for comparison
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#23]
There rejoined as gold member to fucking post pictures!

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://oi66.tinypic.com/10rmp77.jpg

10.5 with SB PDW brace, KAC RAS and a Fostech Echo 2 trigger. Trigicon RMR 06 sitting on an ADM mount up top.
View Quote
Looks good, but it looks like your rear buis is on backwards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Looks good, but it looks like your rear buis is on backwards.
View Quote
It is. I previously ran an Eotech and this gave me more room (when flipped up) to operate the front - and by front I mean rear - mounted controls without interference. I just got used to it and still do it, lol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There rejoined as gold member to fucking post pictures!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85621/IMG_1105_JPG-312635.jpg
View Quote
Nice! They look great!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It is. I previously ran an Eotech and this gave me more room (when flipped up) to operate the front - and by front I mean rear - mounted controls without interference. I just got used to it and still do it, lol.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with that. Works either way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:04:24 AM EDT
[#28]
PSA complete upper (including BCG and charging handle) with a 10.5" FN cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel.  Lower is an 80% machined out.  Carry handle is a left over from a Colt 6920 I had laying around.

Barrel roll marks.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#29]
11.5 with a Shockwave brace. About as KISS as it gets.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261156/PSX_20170921_082813-313020.JPG
View Quote
Perfect. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Perfect. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perfect. Thanks!
You bet.  @Guntoter put up a pretty nice one too that's in the same basic KISS configuration, I think it's also a good example of how the handguards make the gun look as well, his are the newer M4 oval shaped handguards, mine are the older CAR style.  The handguards are the same length, and the barrel itself is only 1" longer (apples to apples since both have the A2 birdcage), but I think mine looks a fair amount longer due to the skinnier handguards.  Food for thought.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Federally:

A handgun/pistol > 26" in OAL must not have a VFG.

A handgun/pistol 26" or more in OAL, not concealed on the person,  may have a VFG, at which time it becomes a legal non-NFA firearm. Remove the VFG, it's a handgun/pistol again.

Measured from tip of barrel (muzzle device does not count unless permanently affixed as per ATF methods) to extreme "rearward point of the firearm", which is generally accepted to be the end of the buffer tube on an AR type pistol, as nothing else has specifically ever been stated as counting on that end by ATF.  Gray areas include a buffer tube on a firearm that does not need it for operation, folding adapters, and whatnot.

MI and maybe a couple of other states have their own OAL rules, though.

In the case of my heater in first pic, it uses a KAK "super tube", which brings it to 26.5" or a bit more, not counting muzzle device.

- OS
View Quote
Thanks.   I appreciate it.  With a standard buffer tube, what is the minimum barrel length to use a vertical grip?  Just a general number, of course I’ll measure it to be certain.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#33]
My humble submission. PSA/Anderson/g2s/parts bin 10.5 w/ shockwave.  Been 100%. My beater/travel rig. As pictured she's run me about $850... WML/RDS/Geissele trigger, everything $850. awesome times to build ARs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks.   I appreciate it.  With a standard buffer tube, what is the minimum barrel length to use a vertical grip?  Just a general number, of course I’ll measure it to be certain.
View Quote
With "standard" being same length as a carbine tube, 12" for sure. 11.5" is iffy, some say it just reaches 26" on the nose, some say it's just a tad short.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd like to see more or less what these barrel lengths look like put together before I buy a barrel. Looking into a new KISS build rifle. Thanks!
View Quote

My recent 11.5 build
p/s: I can't upload the image
The actual weapon used has a significant impact on the range that the bullet is able to travel. https://www.dailyshooting.com/which-factor-has-a-significant-impact-on-a-firearms-range/
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My recent 11.5 build https://i.imgur.com/0GsUaXt.jpg
p/s: I can't upload the image
View Quote
Is that upper from PSA?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is the true KISS concept
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#38]
My 10.5" on top

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#39]
That's too funny!!!  Obviously the ATF has now contacted NASA and they are running satellite passes over your house now, but it was worth it!!!!

Dang it,   I was responding to krdt's "ATF PRAYER" but didn't include the quote, and don't know how to now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#40]
11.5 with Blade. 10'' lite rail II

Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
With "standard" being same length as a carbine tube, 12" for sure. 11.5" is iffy, some say it just reaches 26" on the nose, some say it's just a tad short.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS
My 11.5 is 26 1/8'' from the end of the barrel to the end of the buffer tube using a standard / typical tube. It's well over 26'' to the rear of the Blade.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#42]

My 10.5 with KAC VFG.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Guntoter, nice !

I bought that upper Friday, the brace is ordered. picked up a spikes lower, lpk today and have left over carry handle. KISS.

Great looking little rig man.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Pretty recently completed. It's had about 350 rounds so far, without a single hiccup, other than round #4, which did not chamber properly.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pretty recently completed. It's had about 350 rounds so far, without a single hiccup, other than round #4, which did not chamber properly.

http://i.imgur.com/cOae7nz.jpg
View Quote
What optic and mount is that?

FWIW, I just built the lower out for my pistol build yesterday (Shockwave brace as well). I'm leaning towards a KISS upper as well and looking for ideas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#47]
12.7" with GHW tailhook mod 1

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

FWIW, I just built the lower out for my pistol build yesterday (Shockwave brace as well). I'm leaning towards a KISS upper as well and looking for ideas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/cOae7nz.jpg

It's a Vortex Strikefire 2 with whatever mount came with it from PSA
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's a Vortex Strikefire 2 with whatever mount came with it from PSA
View Quote
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Colt 11.5 cutdown with Surefire 3 prong and KAK Blade

I had this setup with a DDM4 9.5" and saw no perceivable gains to being free floated. Now that I've switched back to a RAS and FSB its become my favorite sub 150 yard gun and with more use will probably take over the home defense role. Now that its been downgraded I use it more, don't care about beating on it and have more assurance in its performance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top