Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2017 1:33:11 PM EDT
I just got a 10.5 inch pistol with sb pdw brace and am now looking at optics.  I was originally set on an Aimpoint micro, but really like what I've been hearing about the Steiner p4xi 1x4 scope.  My question is a 1x4 scope overkill on a 10.5 pistol?

Does anyone run a variable powered optic on a gun this short benefits? Draw backs (weight)
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't say it's over kill. I have a fixed 5X on my 12.5" and really like it. I also have 45° iron sights on there too.

Weight could be a problem. I have a QD PEPR mount on one of mine and it's heavy. I also found myself never adjusting it so I went with a fixed one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I currently have an MRO on my 11.5, the other day I'm shooting  out to 400 with no issues. Ton of fun doing it by the way. I may pop a scope on it to see what kind of accuracy I can squeeze from it. The thought crossed my mind about using it as a mini SPR or possibly building one from a Rainier Ultra Match
I don't see why a 1-4 or 1-6 wouldn't be a bad choice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my 1-4× on rifles,  but all my pistols have dots.  Aimpoint PRO, Strikefire II, and a PA advanced micro dot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 7.5 pistol with folding LAW adapter for a compact firearm...a Vortex Spitfire for scope as the reticle is etched on the prism, and is visible even if the battery is dead...relatively inexpensive
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Aimpoint Pro on my 10.5" and I am about to finish another and putting a Vortex SparcAR on it. I like red dots, but don't think you could go wrong with a scope. I wouldn't go crazy on one though, hah I'd try to keep it fairly reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I put red dots on my pistols, but with my astigmatism I see 3 dots in a cluster. I replaced a red dot with a Weaver Classic 1x3 from a carbine and liked it enough to change out a second red dot with the same scope.

The scope is only 8.5 oz and the glass is very clear. One draw back is it isn't illuminated. I was thinking of a 1-4X Vortex Crossfire II or Primary Arms scope, but they weigh a lot more.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The short LOP on a pistol paired up with a scope kinda sucks IMO. Dots are a better fit for the ergonomics of a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Red dot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got a 10.5 inch pistol with sb pdw brace and am now looking at optics.  I was originally set on an Aimpoint micro, but really like what I've been hearing about the Steiner p4xi 1x4 scope.  My question is a 1x4 scope overkill on a 10.5 pistol?

Does anyone run a variable powered optic on a gun this short benefits? Draw backs (weight)
View Quote

While this is the Pistol sub-forum, you might want to take a look at the "Official MINI REECE Photo" thread for an idea about how different optics look on short barreled ARs.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Official-MINI-RECCE-Photo-and-Discussion-Thread/118-659371/?page=1
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd go RDS
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I like a micro red dot on there.

Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Just my .02 but I tried a 1-6X scope on my 8" 300BLK mainly to test accuracy potential and it really affected how maneuverable it felt. Also in my opinion a variable power scope at 1X doesn't seem as fast as a red dot. That said I'm saving up for either a MRO or RMR, had a PRO but got rid of it like a dummy

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put red dots on my pistols, but with my astigmatism I see 3 dots in a cluster. I replaced a red dot with a Weaver Classic 1x3 from a carbine and liked it enough to change out a second red dot with the same scope.

The scope is only 8.5 oz and the glass is very clear. One draw back is it isn't illuminated. I was thinking of a 1-4X Vortex Crossfire II or Primary Arms scope, but they weigh a lot more.
View Quote
My astigmatism also makes some red dots look like a fuzzy star.  It's less noticeable when I wear contacts, but I wear glasses probably 75% of the time.  I just swapped my 1-4X SWFA onto my 11.5" pistol, but I haven't shot it yet.  Depending on how my range trip goes, I'll post some feedback here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My astigmatism also makes some red dots look like a fuzzy star.  It's less noticeable when I wear contacts, but I wear glasses probably 75% of the time.  I just swapped my 1-4X SWFA onto my 11.5" pistol, but I haven't shot it yet.  Depending on how my range trip goes, I'll post some feedback here.
View Quote
I just put that scope on a 10.5" .223 today to see how it was.  Shockwave blade.  

Red dot for me.  It felt wonky in the eye relief department
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just put that scope on a 10.5" .223 today to see how it was.  Shockwave blade.  

Red dot for me.  It felt wonky in the eye relief department
View Quote
That makes sense.  A red dot would be much more forgiving, but I still want to give it a try with the scope.  The Barnes 70gr TSX looks like it'll expand out of an 11.5" barrel to about 300 yards, so I figured my 5.56 pistol might make a decent backpacking gun with the 1-4x.  If it's awkward to handle, I'll probably just swap my PA Micro Red Dot onto it and use it primarily as a fun range toy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Red dot.

Even though I plan to hunt with it (if PA ever allows it for deer), shots would be 150 yards or less. Most under 100. A 2MOA dot is fine with my eyes at that distance.  

The eye relief factor is huge for me on a pistol setup.  Scopes on short LOP just don't do it for me. I could, I suppose, add a magnifier if the spirit moves me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a 1-x fan. Pistols with half decent ammo can still expand good soft point out to 200-300 yards, and make accurate hits much further. The 1-4/6 scopes just provide a much easier distance shot and the ability to ID targets. With a bit of practice I think you'll find the gap between RDS and LPV speed narrows significantly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am a 1-x fan. Pistols with half decent ammo can still expand good soft point out to 200-300 yards, and make accurate hits much further. The 1-4/6 scopes just provide a much easier distance shot and the ability to ID targets. With a bit of practice I think you'll find the gap between RDS and LPV speed narrows significantly.
View Quote
2-300 yards is well outside the range of what I would use a pistol for.

100 would be pushing it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

100 would be pushing it.
View Quote
Speak for yourself.

I don't place ridiculously low limits on my skills or that of my firearms.  My AR Pistols can be accurate out to 300 + yards with the correct setup, & if I do my part.

So a scope with a little magnification isn't a bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

100 would be pushing it.
View Quote
If the bullet does its job past 200 and the shots are trivially easy, why not?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Speak for yourself.

I don't place ridiculously low limits on my skills or that of my firearms.  My AR Pistols can be accurate out to 300 + yards with the correct setup, & if I do my part.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100 would be pushing it.
Speak for yourself.

He was speaking for himself. Hence the "what I would use a pistol for"
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love my 1-4× on rifles,  but all my pistols have dots.  Aimpoint PRO, Strikefire II, and a PA advanced micro dot.
View Quote
This 1x-? scope on rifles and red dot on my pistol AR.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Speak for yourself.

View Quote
I use the right tool for the job.   Not just shooting.

I have rifles set up for longer range that are still OK up close with a low-power variable,  and I have pistols that are set up for close range with red dots.   They are still OK out past 200.

For my AR pistol applications,  I neither need nor want a compromise optic solution that is less than ideal for the weapon's intended use, but makes it better at things that are not it's intended use.

A red dot is awesome up close.  A low power variable is not.  

As for the "skills" comment,  well,  you did make me laugh.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Parallax.  

Eye placement - consistent eye placement, behind the optic is important for keeping the shots in the same spot.

Parallax is more of an issue with a scope than a small red dot - like and RMR or DP Pro.

I have a DP Pro on one of my AR15 pistols and a Lucid red dot on the other one.  Don't care for the Lucids as I've found out the batteries just go dead, even when the unit is turned off, after 3 or 4 months in the storage/carry cases.  Got them off both carbines already, just have that one pistol left.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just my .02 but I tried a 1-6X scope on my 8" 300BLK mainly to test accuracy potential and it really affected how maneuverable it felt. Also in my opinion a variable power scope at 1X doesn't seem as fast as a red dot.  
View Quote
I came here to say exactly this. I had 1-6x and 1-4x scopes on each of my two pistols and am replacing each of them with red dots after trying one out and coming to value the weight reduction and maneuverability.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#27]
How about a compromise?

I'll just leave these here:

Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#28]
A fixed 4X on a pistol doesn't make any sense to me. Now your trying to make it a rifle and lose its short range effectiveness.

Needs to have 1X capability for a pistol IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Thinking of putting a Bushnell Incinerate red dot on my 7.5 inch barrel build
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I just ordered a sig Romeo 5 XDR for my 10 inch 300 BO. Like the auto off feature and reticle like a eotech. Get it Friday in time for the range this weekend. Have had fastfire 3, and vortex red dots in the past. Will post back how it goes.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top