BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2017 11:47:37 PM EDT
If it's ok to do, which pistol brace works and looks the best?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to be too pedantic, but pistols do not have stocks. All I have are a couple Sig braces, but the shockwave looks better.

I'm considering a LAW Gen 3 adapter on a build, but they weigh something like 10-12oz.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
OP the way you titled this thread are you building a SBR or trying to illegally circumvent NFA laws?

Hint: Pistols don't have stocks
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I knew that.  Used brace one place and edited to use brace in all places.  Sorry about that.  

I have a SB PDW brace and clearly will not accept a folding adapter in all adjustments.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The folding adapter is perfectly legal to use. I would probably go with a shockwave brace or SB tactocal M4 style.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the Tailhook

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 10.5 upper on a pistol lower with a LAW gen 3 folder w shockwave blade and kak tube

With the blade all the way in flush and flash hider off measurements are 26 1/2 inches

The blades thin profile makes for a nice folding brace and with the OAL length of 26+ inches a VFG is possible hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 10.5 upper on a pistol lower with a LAW gen 3 folder w shockwave blade and kak tube

With the blade all the way in flush and flash hider off measurements are 26 1/2 inches

The blades thin profile makes for a nice folding brace and with the OAL length of 26+ inches a VFG is possible hope this helps
View Quote
For reference, my MK18 with a Surefire Warcomp & Maxim Defense CQB Brace measures 25.8 inches when fully collapsed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m running a warcomp as well it’s loud lol

The LAW adds a good bit on the backend length of the receiver which is why from tip of the barrel to back of the buffer tube I get 26 1/2 inches exactly
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a reminder remember when measuring OAL length the flash hider/ comp does not count as OAL neither does just extending the blade it must measure from the barrel to end of the buffer tube 26+ inches to add the VFG
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 7.5 with LAW folder, with a pistol buffer tube, nose to charging handle... don't need no stinking brace...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

A brace is a brace regardless of how it is attached IMO, so a folding mechanism like LAW would be just fine.  I am using the LAW folding mechanism with KAK tube and Shockwave Blade.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#12]
The real question which has never been answered that I am aware of is whether or not the LAW folder counts towards the OAL of the weapon as it is in itself an accessory and not needed for the function of weapon.  Another gray area in my view if one is trying to achieve the 26"+ length.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I think you are making a problem where there is none.  Are muzzle devises "required" for the functioning of the weapon?  No, but they are included in the OAL if attached per requirements.  The stock is not "required" for weapon functioning but it is measured in the OAL.  The stock is more easily removed than the LAW adapter.  Why would you think the LAW folding adapter is not measured?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#15]
The rear of the gun is measured at the rear of the gun as it is designed and built, Period as per the BATFE. A brace, buffer tube and adapter used to connect the buffer tube are (part of) the gun if the gun is designed and built with them. No BATFE ruling states anything contrary than that I have seen.
Any speculation that parts are not counted as part of the gun or their connection method or purpose makes them not count is not factual.

If a pistol or firearm is designed and built with an arm brace the brace is now part of the gun.  BATFE rulings state the rear of the gun is measured at it's furthest fully extended rearward point measured 90 degrees from the bore.  
No special measurements are set forth for arm braces and pistols that make them ''different than every other gun''. I have heard all kinds of measurement requirements posted by members and some have educated thought into them and some are just silly. They are all just made up with no real BATFE ruling backing them. Follow the BATFE rulings exactly as they are worded.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the CMMG MK9 PDW with the buffer tube. I added the Sig 2nd gen Arm Brace. Works great, I can adjust if forward or more towards the rear of the tube. Snug fit.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/sig-sauer-sbx-ar-blk-stabilizing-brace-gen-2-ar-15-black

The black was Sold out. I got the Flat Dark Earth & prefer the contrast. It also comes with a nice letter from the ATF saying it is Legal to use as a "Fore-Arm Brace".

Per the ATF letter I received: Based on our evaluation, FTB finds that the submitted forearm brace, when attached to a forearm, does not convert that weapon, to be fired from the shoulder, and would not alter the classification of a pistol or other firearm. While a firearm so equipped would still be regulated by the Gun Control Act, 18, U.S.C 921 (a) (3), such a firearm would not be subject to NFA controls
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't believe the OP mentioned anything about getting to 26 inches, nor about adding a VFG.  Why this keeps coming up is beyond me.  

And my post was to show that my pistol when equipped with a Maxim Brace was actually shorter the one "gungrass" posted about, all while remaining fully functional & not forced to be used as a single shot weapon.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm using the Law Tactical Folder on my 9mm AR Pistol and a Shockwave Brace.

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
That’s real nice
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Can you share a pic of that thing unfolded?  I like that. 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just a reminder remember when measuring OAL length the flash hider/ comp does not count as OAL neither does just extending the blade it must measure from the barrel to end of the buffer tube 26+ inches to add the VFG
View Quote
First:
Please stop making sh't up and spreading it around.  It is to the extreme rearward point of the firearm, to include braces as the frankiln armory  xo 26 r2 (sold as firearm w/VFG legally from the factory) shows.

Second:
When did the OP mention VFG?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

First:
Please stop making sh't up and spreading it around.  It is to the extreme rearward point of the firearm, to include braces as the frankiln armory  xo 26 r2 (sold as firearm w/VFG legally from the factory) shows.
View Quote
All XO's are 26" without brace (or muzzle device) just like the original one, I see nowhere where Franklin is claiming to include the brace of current models in the OAL:

- OS
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

All XO's are 26" without brace (or muzzle device) just like the original one, I see nowhere where Franklin is claiming to include the brace of current models in the OAL:

https://outdoorhub-res.cloudinary.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto,w_1000/https://cdn.outdoorhub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2012/12/DSCN1063.jpg

- OS
View Quote
I specifically mentioned the one named in one of the ATF letters which does have a brace installed to bring it's OAL to over 27" (the extra inch being Franklin's design as a safety measuer).

Regardless, the ATF is clear in where to measure, which is to "The extreme rearward point of the firearm." At no point is buffer tube only mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like the LAW adapter and a Shockwave Brace.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#25]
DAMN IT ARFCOM.....now I'm kind of wanting to build an AR pistol with one of those side folders and brace....not in 5.56 though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I specifically mentioned the one named in one of the ATF letters which does have a brace installed to bring it's OAL to over 27" (the extra inch being Franklin's design as a safety measuer).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have seen no letter to Franklin Armory mentioning a brace, nor again, does FA mention the brace as being part of the OAL. The X0 models are still same as ever, around 27" without brace or muzzle device.

Quoted:Regardless, the ATF is clear in where to measure, which is to "The extreme rearward point of the firearm." At no point is buffer tube only mentioned.
At no point is the brace mentioned as specifically being part of the firearm either, so if you call that "clear", okay. The only "ATF letter" anyone has produced that says the brace is included in OAL is the highly suspect one that keeps floating around from a Reddit post, and which looks nothing like any other ATF letter ever produced from any division there.

As always, it's an interesting debate, and for all practical purposes perhaps a "distinction without a difference", since no one has ever been convicted of AOW possession due to a VFG on any firearm.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#27]
How does this work with the buffer and spring?  Can we get some pics of the internals?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How does this work with the buffer and spring?  Can we get some pics of the internals?
View Quote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Law-Tactical-Precision-Rifle-Folding-Stock-Adapter-Gen-3M-5-56-223-308-FDE-/331993621715?hash=item4d4c5ca4d3:g:5S8AAOSwYIxX-Cj5

That has some good pics, sorry i cant hotlink with my Ipad for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Not trying to hijack, but how about the other, cheaper ones? Anyone try those? Isaw a youtube video the other day where a guy reviewed a $30 chinese folder. Said it worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like the LAW adapter and a Shockwave Brace.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72296/FoldingBrace1024-340754.JPG
View Quote
Me too.  My 9.5" barrel 300BO with LAW folder, Shockwave, and Silencerco suppressor is just about my favorite AR right now.  Even with suppressor attached, it folds up nicely to fit in a compact AR padded gun bag.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
nvm I found instructions
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not trying to hijack, but how about the other, cheaper ones? Anyone try those? Isaw a youtube video the other day where a guy reviewed a $30 chinese folder. Said it worked fine.
View Quote
Yes, I've seen the videos to. The replicas work fine and much cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, since OP has been answered pretty damn completely, I will try to hijack this thread. If you have any experience with other AR folding "stock" devices, good or bad, let us hear it about it!
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:I have seen no letter to Franklin Armory mentioning a brace, nor again, does FA mention the brace as being part of the OAL. The X0 models are still same as ever, around 27" without brace or muzzle device.
View Quote
Why, exectly, do they have to me tion the brace or procure another letter when there is one that already exonerates them?

ATF letter in link:
https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-an-ar-pistol/

Notice the brace in the picture of the firearm from question 2 of the linked ATF letter:
https://www.franklinarmory.com/products/bfs-equipped-franklin-armory-xo-26-r2

At no point is the brace mentioned as specifically being part of the firearm either, so if you call that "clear", okay. The only "ATF letter" anyone has produced that says the brace is included in OAL is the highly suspect one that keeps floating around from a Reddit post, and which looks nothing like any other ATF letter ever produced from any division there.
View Quote
In case you missed it:

As always, it's an interesting debate, and for all practical purposes perhaps a "distinction without a difference", since no one has ever been convicted of AOW possession due to a VFG on any firearm.

- OS
View Quote
It is worth continuing to finally put an end to missinformation, intentional or otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why, exectly, do they have to me tion the brace or procure another letter when there is one that already exonerates them?

ATF letter in link:

Notice the brace in the picture of the firearm from question 2 of the linked ATF letter:

In case you missed it:

It is worth continuing to finally put an end to missinformation, intentional or otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I have seen no letter to Franklin Armory mentioning a brace, nor again, does FA mention the brace as being part of the OAL. The X0 models are still same as ever, around 27" without brace or muzzle device.

ATF letter in link:

In case you missed it:

- OS
There has been all kinds of misinformation with this subject repeated as fact. People have made up all kinds of interesting ideas and they then get repeated.
I think most people, who the subject has relevance for know and understand how to measure their pistols now. There is the occasional  poster who is not up to date or new to the subject and they hopefully leave a thread knowing only factual information.  
The subject comes up a lot because a short AR with a VFG is just cool.  All you can do is inform guys who ask with correct information and clear up the ''made up information'' until it eventually stops being repeated.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In case you missed it:
https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-an-ar-pistol/...
View Quote
Sigh.

1. Pierce does not even offer his opinion whether a brace (or anything else) contributes to OAL on the ass end of an AR pistol.

2. That ATF letter was issued before there even WAS the first SIG brace on the market. So there was certainly no brace attached to the XO26 that generated the letter in the first place.

3. Read more carefully. Pierce submitted nothing. He simply is referring to a picture of an AR he posted in a previous column with a VFG on it which he received questions on (happened to have a brace on it). Again, he does not claim his firearm reached the 26" minimum due to the brace that was on it.

Since you are touting him as some kind of authority, why don't you ask him whether he thinks it counts?

The only thing that will truly clear this up is a clear cut legitimate letter from ATF stating that a brace extending past the end of the buffer tube counts toward OAL. They could also clear up the matter as regards folding adapters, buffer tubes on pistols that don't need them for operation, cane tips, epoxied pipe sections,  whatever.  

But dunno if we'll see it -- since it's pretty  obvious they aren't going to try and enforce it even if that say it does NOT count they generally just like to keep things gray with FUD as much as possible.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
DAMN IT ARFCOM.....now I'm kind of wanting to build an AR pistol with one of those side folders and brace....not in 5.56 though.
View Quote
What round then?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#38]
2 part answer due to character limit...

Quoted:1. Pierce does not even offer his opinion whether a brace (or anything else) contributes to OAL on the ass end of an AR pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:1. Pierce does not even offer his opinion whether a brace (or anything else) contributes to OAL on the ass end of an AR pistol.
Why would he? The ATF has already said it.

2. That ATF letter was issued before there even WAS the first SIG brace on the market. So there was certainly no brace attached to the XO26 that generated the letter in the first place.
I'll take hit on the brace for that then.

3. Read more carefully. Pierce submitted nothing. He simply is referring to a picture of an AR he posted in a previous column with a VFG on it which he received questions on (happened to have a brace on it). Again, he does not claim his firearm reached the 26" minimum due to the brace that was on it.
Read more carefully, I never said Pierce submitted anything, I don't even ever reference Pierce himself. I only reference the AFT letter itself, as what they say is all that matters.  I couldn't care less about Pierce, though I am thankful for him putting the letter online for the rest of us to reference.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Answer part 2 because of character limits...

Since you are touting him as some kind of authority, why don't you ask him whether he thinks it counts?
View Quote
Again, I couldn't care less about him, I only reference the ATF letter. Why would I ask him anything, when he has posted the ATF letter explaining it?

The only thing that will truly clear this up is a clear cut legitimate letter from ATF stating that a brace extending past the end of the buffer tube counts toward OAL. They could also clear up the matter as regards folding adapters, buffer tubes on pistols that don't need them for operation, cane tips, epoxied pipe sections,  whatever.
View Quote
The letter I reference has always been sufficient and is why I have always only had that one bookmarked, But I will search for a newer more concise one.

But dunno if we'll see it -- since it's pretty  obvious they aren't going to try and enforce it even if that say it does NOT count they generally just like to keep things gray with FUD as much as possible.
View Quote
The problem is that it becomes 'internet common knowledge' with the actual ATF letter no longer being referenced and as time marches on it is "The Gossips" coming around to bite us in the rear.

What I find most perplexing, is the degree to which the ATF goes to insure proper measuring of a barrel, yet only states the extreme rearward point of the firearm itself for a measuring point, and how people lose their minds. Maybe if people stopped arguing about the trees blocking the view of the forest.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The problem is that it becomes 'internet common knowledge' with the actual ATF letter no longer being referenced and as time marches on it is "The Gossips" coming around to bite us in the rear.
View Quote
The question is simply not clear cut because ATF has never made it clearcut. They've made it clear what counts as part of the barrel, and hence contributes to overall length on that end. It's pretty clear that something extending beyond that, like say a bayonet, would NOT contribute. Because ATF has never said anything but a permanently affixed muzzle device does.

But certainly not nearly as clear on the ass end. It's clear that "extreme end of the firearm" includes a stock or grip, because they've said so. Beyond that, ATF has simply never opined what if anything becomes "part of the firearm" for this purpose in addition to the components needed for the firearm to actually function as designed.

ATF has been surprisingly "liberal" regarding rulings over the last few years (brace, AR "firearm", shot shell "firearm" and the like) so they'd certainly maybe well say what the hell, sure, length is length regarding the concealed factor, don't care what gets you there on the ass end.  But they simply haven't. And they certainly haven't been forgiving on interpretation on the barrel end, eh?

- OS
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not to be too pedantic, but pistols do not have stocks. All I have are a couple Sig braces, but the shockwave looks better.

I'm considering a LAW Gen 3 adapter on a build, but they weigh something like 10-12oz.
View Quote
You really feel the weight! I have a MagTactical lower, the adapter feels heavier than the rest of the pistol. but it balances the barrel weight.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#42]
This letter clearly states braces count as length.
XBZms6s_d by tbrique1,  

Facts=
1=At no time has the BATFE stated anything but the extreme rear point of a firearm is the measurement point, (plain, simple and easy to understand) .
What reason is there to make up stuff and believe it has relevance for anyone else?
2=Barrel specific measurements (pinned and welded device) are exactly that, the way to measure a barrel. They have NEVER had any bearing on the way the rear of  any gun is measured. Why would someone assume they do now?
3=The BATFE has NEVER subtracted parts from a gun when being measured.  Why would someone assume they do now?
4=The BATFE has NEVER stated a part must have any certain function or connection method to be part of a weapon. Why would someone assume they do now?
5=The BATFE has many times stated how to measure a weapon and all methods correspond and relate to the way a pistol is also measured. Why would someone assume pistols are different than all other weapons?
The letter above clearly states how to measure a pistol with a brace. Even if there is a plot that entails forging documents to trick someone all other rulings still back up measuring a pistol the same way. Maybe every letter is fake and the BATFE does not even exist? Maybe everyone should just make up their own rules?
Making up rules and ideas with no connection to anything that remotely backs them up as legitimate (as far as BATFE rules go) has no point to it, other than to confuse people.

Follow the BATFE rules as they are worded. Making up a bunch of assumptions to fight facts and reality is very pointless and only confuses people who want real answers.
Does anyone actually expect the BATFE to explain every part of every gun and how it works, how it is connected and how it relates to every rule they have ever made? Unless something is specifically stated as (different and not following existing rules) it is obviously going to follow the existing rules.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I really like this AR a lot. Makes me mad I did not build the same thing for myself.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What round then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What round then?
300 BLK for me. Planning to have a new one done within the next couple of months 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can you share a pic of that thing unfolded?  I like that. 
View Quote
Crap pic....but a good shooter in .300 BO

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What round then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What round then?
If I had cash in hand ready .45ACP, build one that takes Glock magazines. Every pistol I own except 1 fires .45ACP so that way I avoid a new caliber and could stick the AR pistols magazine in my carry pistol if I had to. (Glock 30S)  Take the G21's 13rnd mag and add the Kriss Vector extension to it for 25 rounds of .45ACP do that x 5 add a Holosun red dot and there's my "truck gun".
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If I had cash in hand ready .45ACP, build one that takes Glock magazines. Every pistol I own except 1 fires .45ACP so that way I avoid a new caliber and could stick the AR pistols magazine in my carry pistol if I had to. (Glock 30S)  Take the G21's 13rnd mag and add the Kriss Vector extension to it for 25 rounds of .45ACP do that x 5 add a Holosun red dot and there's my "truck gun".
View Quote
That would be best for me too.  Except I no longer have anything in 45, I've moved all my 45 to 10mm.  Its hard to find a 10mm in AR platform.  

Then I think may as well go 556 with a short barrel, but 556 isn't fantastic out of a short barrel.  May as well go 7.62x39 out a short barrel, but if I'm doing that, may as well go AK pistol with a folding brace.

I'm not a huge fan of AKs.  Hence the circular thought process.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That would be best for me too.  Except I no longer have anything in 45, I've moved all my 45 to 10mm.  Its hard to find a 10mm in AR platform.  

Then I think may as well go 556 with a short barrel, but 556 isn't fantastic out of a short barrel.  May as well go 7.62x39 out a short barrel, but if I'm doing that, may as well go AK pistol with a folding brace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not 300BLK? It sounds like what you're looking for....
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Start acting like an American and stop asking for permission every time you have an idea. If it is not expressly forbidden it's legal. Also, the Shockwave is what you seek. It goes great with a LAW folder. Go have fun and live like a free man.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The solution to an approx 7.5" AR IMO is 300 Blackout.   
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top