Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2017 1:59:23 AM EDT
I've done the 5.56mm, .300 Blackout, 9mm. 7.5, 8, and 10.5 bbls.
I have a hankering to build a .45 ACP. Anyone know where I can pick up a mag block for a reasonable price?
I'll probably do it in 10.5 to match my others. Toying with the idea of doing a 10mm also.
Well fellas, anybody done this?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#1]
upper is on sale at palmetto state armory, not sure if they have the mag block.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
PSA is the quick and easy WAY RIGHT NOW.  

@madmachinist is who I would have do it for me though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't want to use a mag block, so mine's built off a QC10 large frame receiver set.
Sent the upper over to Ron Williams of RMW Extreme, and he cooked up a very nice little 7.5" DI setup.

Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
upper is on sale at palmetto state armory, not sure if they have the mag block.
View Quote
PSA lower uses Glock mags I believe it is on sale now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I didn't want to use a mag block, so mine's built off a QC10 large frame receiver set.
Sent the upper over to Ron Williams of RMW Extreme, and he cooked up a very nice little 7.5" DI setup.

http://i.imgur.com/gNGJ28Ag.jpg
View Quote
Very nice
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Very nice
View Quote
Hey thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking at buying or building a 8-9" AR45 set up that will be suppressed 95% of the time.  Basically three options- PSA, CMMG, build my own.

PSA's 8.3" 45 pisto looks pretty damn good right now.  Direct blowback, pistol upper and lower will run $750.  Simply can't build it for that.  

The CMMG 8" AR45 set up is intriguing.  CMMG's "Radial Delayed Blowback" operating system sounds like it should significantly reduce gas blow back when using a suppressor.  At a retail of $1,300, it's not out of reach, but the extra $500 better come with a lot less gas in the face.  Since it is relatively new to the market, I can't find any reviews of it being used with a suppressor.  I'd really like to find a side by side of the CMMG being compared to a regular blowback version with a suppressor.  

Building one - Quarter Circle's lower would likely be used, but I would have a very hard time justifying the increased cost over the PSA offering right now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ive got an RMW 45 upper and have a PSA complete lower on the way.  Hope it will run without modification but guess I will ship it off to Ron for help if needed.

Want to get a 10mm upper also.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the PSA .45 complete pistol.  I had to have me a LRBHO so I snagged a spartan upper receiver from JoeBob and everything plays together pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The PSA is a straight blow back design, right?  How does it shoot?  Shot it with a suppressor?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The PSA is a straight blow back design, right?  How does it shoot?  Shot it with a suppressor?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, PSA's is blowback.  Mine runs 100% in the little bit I've gotten to play with it.  I haven't had any malfunctions at all in ~350 rounds of wolf steel cased ammo.  
IMO, the gun is a good starting point. It has more recoil than I'd expect and flings empty cases 20ft away.  I wouldn't say its unusable the way it comes from PSA, but its a bit cumbersome.  It benefits a lot from modifications to help control it like an arm brace, foregrip, and probably a different buffer/spring.  I think a 8.3" barrel puts an AR at 26.7" OAL, so you can use a VFG without needing a stamp (haven't actually measured mine to verify that, though).  Haven't gotten to shoot it suppressed yet.  My .45 can's still in jail.

Quoted:
Definitely wanna get me a 10mm upper for this guy, too.  I think its the next logical step for PSA.  Hopefully they feel the same way :D
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would have a very hard time justifying the increased cost over the PSA offering right now.
View Quote
Once you feel the difference between DI and blowback, the price justifies itself.

DI .45 shoots a lot flatter.  It's a night/day difference.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, PSA's is blowback.  Mine runs 100% in the little bit I've gotten to play with it.  I haven't had any malfunctions at all in ~350 rounds of wolf steel cased ammo.  
IMO, the gun is a good starting point. It has more recoil than I'd expect and flings empty cases 20ft away.  I wouldn't say its unusable the way it comes from PSA, but its a bit cumbersome.  It benefits a lot from modifications to help control it like an arm brace, foregrip, and probably a different buffer/spring.  I think a 8.3" barrel puts an AR at 26.7" OAL, so you can use a VFG without needing a stamp (haven't actually measured mine to verify that, though).  Haven't gotten to shoot it suppressed yet.  My .45 can's still in jail.

https://preview.ibb.co/nmstpa/Screen_Shot_2017_07_12_at_10_27_25_PM.png
https://preview.ibb.co/cGev2v/Screen_Shot_2017_07_12_at_10_27_46_PM.png

Definitely wanna get me a 10mm upper for this guy, too.  I think its the next logical step for PSA.  Hopefully they feel the same way :D
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://preview.ibb.co/nmstpa/Screen_Shot_2017_07_12_at_10_27_25_PM.png
https://preview.ibb.co/cGev2v/Screen_Shot_2017_07_12_at_10_27_46_PM.png

Quoted:
Is your upper PSA?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is your upper PSA?
View Quote
I started with a complete pistol, so it had a PSA upper.  I really wanted the LRHBO, so I snagged a stripped upper from joebob and moved the PSA barrel and handguard over to it.  My PSA upper receiver is sitting in the spare parts bin now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I started with a complete pistol, so it had a PSA upper.  I really wanted the LRHBO, so I snagged a stripped upper from joebob and moved the PSA barrel and handguard over to it.  My PSA upper receiver is sitting in the spare parts bin now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is your upper PSA?
Does your PSA barrel have an indexing pin?
I just replaced my handguard and found no pin on the barrel.

Normal?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I swapped my PSA 9mm and 45acp uppers at the same time.  1 of them had the indexing pin and one didn't.  I don't remember which was witch.  I don't think its a big deal.  Not like there's a gas tube, gas block, or sight post on the barrel.  There isn't any part of the chamber that needs to go upwards.  As fas as I can tell, the only thing that determines which way needs to be up is the flash hider, which you can time after the barrel nut is torqued down and the barrel is locked in place.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a .45 D.I. from Rudy at Macon Armory.
Accurate, low recoil, very reliable.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Specs?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#20]
https://maconarmory.com/collections/direct-impingement
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Specs?
View Quote
QC10 matched upper and lower set.

DI Upper was built by Ron at RMW Extreme.
7.5" with a 7" Samson Evo Keymod handguard.

Built the lower with a standard LPK, minus the bolt catch and mag release which were already installed from QC10.
Timney 3.5lb flat face trigger.  SB Tactical PDW brace.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Built the lower with a standard LPK, minus the bolt catch and mag release which were already installed from QC10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Specs?

Can I bother you for more pics?
What is the length of the brace assembly?
Does it all work smoothly?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Shoot a blow back .45 then shoot a DI .45 and you will break out in a stupid smile. The difference is amazing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I just got a complete PSA 45 pistol lower and tried to slap my RMW 45 upper on but it does not fit.  What are my options?  Are each of the below accurate and all of the options?

1) Remove bolt catch from the lower then GTG?
2) Get a blowback carrier, keep bolt catch, and close gas port on the barrel?
3) Some way to mod the DI carrier to work?
4) Just buy a new complete PSA upper?

What else?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

IMO, the gun is a good starting point. It has more recoil than I'd expect and flings empty cases 20ft away.  I wouldn't say its unusable the way it comes from PSA, but its a bit cumbersome.  It benefits a lot from modifications to help control it like an arm brace, foregrip, and probably a different buffer/spring. I think a 8.3" barrel puts an AR at 26.7" OAL, so you can use a VFG without needing a stamp (haven't actually measured mine to verify that, though).  Haven't gotten to shoot it suppressed yet.  My .45 can's still in jail.
View Quote
Not going to be over 26" with 8.3" barrel if you measure properly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is where I got that 26.5" from.   I guess those numbers were for a buffer tube with a stock on them.  I don't know if we have a database anywhere for all the braces and how much they extend past the buffer.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/491773_Overall_Length_for_10_5_and_11_5_inch_ar_15s.html#i4572059
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
My entire collection is packed up because I'm in the middle of moving, but I'll snap some pictures and measure the brace once I get settled in my new place.

It's been almost completely trouble-free, though.  

When I ordered the upper, I told Ron that I'd be shooting a lot of cheap steel-cased garbage when I'm out plinking.  Not sure if he did anything out of the ordinary with the gas system, but it's definitely not picky about ammo.

The weak link in an AR45 is the magazine.  Every stoppage I've ever had with this gun has been magazine related.  Weak springs, broken followers, out of spec feed lips, etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://maconarmory.com/collections/direct-impingement
View Quote
This. Rudy's stuff runs right out of the box and the 45 Di is the softest shooting pistol cal upper I have ever fired. He spends a considerable amount of time these days fixing people's PSA stuff. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, the gun is a good starting point. It has more recoil than I'd expect and flings empty cases 20ft away.  I wouldn't say its unusable the way it comes from PSA, but its a bit cumbersome.  It benefits a lot from modifications to help control it like an arm brace, foregrip, and probably a different buffer/spring. I think a 8.3" barrel puts an AR at 26.7" OAL, so you can use a VFG without needing a stamp (haven't actually measured mine to verify that, though).  Haven't gotten to shoot it suppressed yet.  My .45 can's still in jail.
Correct!

A pistol is measured from the end of the buffer tube to the muzzle (does NOT include brake/flash hider unless permanently attached). Arm braces do not count for measuring overall length. 

Example is my AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel: with a Kak Superbrace (long) buffer tube it measures 26.5" from end of buffer tube to end of muzzle. If I would have used a standard pistol buffer tube, I would have been under 26" OAL. A 11.5" barrel will get you over 26" OAL with standard pistol buffer tube but any barrel under 11.5" will not.

Here are some pictures of my pistol with the superbrace buffer tube and pistol tube and carbine buffer tube above. I might be slightly off with the tape measure because I didn't take the flash hider off but it is close and will show that a standard pistol buffer tube and 10.5" barrel will be under 26" OAL.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:52:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Just built a 8.3" PSA AR45 pistol with the SB PDW brace.  Unfortunately, I used some ball ammo and brand new KRISS mags which evidently need to be broken in as it jammed and clearing jams SUCK...  This combo is also pretty heavy, OAL is about 23"?  Will try regular Glock mags at the next range session and see what happens.

WANTED: Aluminum MAG FUNNEL for it!  Short mag well leaves a bit of slop for the mag to wiggle around, compounding the jamming issues...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just got a complete PSA 45 pistol lower and tried to slap my RMW 45 upper on but it does not fit.  What are my options?  Are each of the below accurate and all of the options?

1) Remove bolt catch from the lower then GTG?
2) Get a blowback carrier, keep bolt catch, and close gas port on the barrel?
3) Some way to mod the DI carrier to work?
4) Just buy a new complete PSA upper?

What else?

Thanks
View Quote
If your lower is set up for a blowback system, you'll need to remove the ejector from the lower. DI has the ejector in the bolt face like a 5.56
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Posted Mad-Machinist:
Sorry I missed this thread.....I am chained to the bench
View Quote
Yeah that sucks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No need to remove bolt catch.......if it is causing a problem something is WAYYYYYYYYYY wrong

Mag catch is an issue as well...It places the mag too high for DI  and the mag angle is wrong for DI as well.....you'll have to sand the tips of the followers to keep it from hanging on the locking lugs of the bolt. Surprised someone didn't mention those little tidbits...... One of the reasons I insist on knowing what platform you plan to run before I sell a DI upper.....If you order just an upper off the website expect a call from me about that very thing to insure compatibility.

Give me a shout at the shop and I'll do what I can to get you running.......best bet is get a blowback upper for the PSA lower.....and get a Green Swamp Tactical lower for the DI upper....not sure if the one you have will run with it....but I have over 15,000 rounds down range with my uppers on GST lowers.,....no mag mods and I don't remember the last malfunction.
View Quote
+1 on the bolded text.

Drove me nuts until I realized what was happening.

30 seconds with a dremel, and it's all good.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#37]
@Mad-Machinist would you be able to use your DI system on a glock based lower?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
Finally got set up in my new place and had some time to pull the guns out.
Threw in a picture next to my P308 just for shits and giggles.

The brace is an SB Tactical SBPDW.  Collapsed length is right around 6.75"

It's been super smooth, fairly reliable, and a very soft-shooting.
Like I mentioned in another post, the only issues I've ever had were magazine related.

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I've had a Hahn mag block sitting in a CavArms lower for years. I don't even know if it is a viable solution any more.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#41]
MY PSA 45 RUNS GREAT BUT KICKS LIKE A MULE
ANY RECOMENDATIONS FOR BUFFER AND SPRING
HOW MUCH TO CONVERT TO DI?
I HAVE A BSFIII IN THE LOWER
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a .45 D.I. from Rudy at Macon Armory.
Accurate, low recoil, very reliable.

Dave N
View Quote
This times a gabillion.  

I have shot both blow back and DI and the the BB kicked waaayyyy more than I ever thought a little 45acp could, the DI is like butter and the kick is next to nothing.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top