Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Spikes pistol buffer tube worked perfectly with my sb15
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought the overall length was measured from the shortest possible extension of the stock?
View Quote

Nope, not federally.  Which you'd know if you read the doc I posted a few posts previously.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nope, not federally.  Which you'd know if you read the doc I posted a few posts previously.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the overall length was measured from the shortest possible extension of the stock?

- OS

Damn those reading skills!  ;-)  Will double back and re-read.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ATF measures overall length with stock in longest extended position period, whether retractable or folding, pinning is not a factor. Some states do not, however, such as Michigan, and of course some states you cannot have an adjustable stock at all.

Nothing except a stock on one end and muzzle device on the other is mentioned as contributing to legal OAL in any ATF documentation that I've ever seen.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Brace is considered an accessory and is not considered in the OAL of the weapon very much the same way a removable flash hider is not not considered in the overall length.

Shit I was told differently at a shop near me that specialized in NFA items. May have to check on that.

Find any ATF documentation stating that anything but a stock counts toward OAL on the rear end of firearm past the necessary operating parts. That was my point.

- OS

You can count the retracted stock if it is permanently pinned to the open position. ...

ATF measures overall length with stock in longest extended position period, whether retractable or folding, pinning is not a factor. Some states do not, however, such as Michigan, and of course some states you cannot have an adjustable stock at all.

Nothing except a stock on one end and muzzle device on the other is mentioned as contributing to legal OAL in any ATF documentation that I've ever seen.

- OS

Wow, I just read the letter in its entirety and I have sworn I read that the OAL was determined by the shortest stock position.  I wonder if I read it incorrectly many years ago or it has changed...either way I am happy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#5]
VFG for everyone with this thing now?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

If OAL is over 26", sure, why not ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

does it count if its only half way on?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if the brace counts for OAL since measurement refer to an integral part of the firearm, such as a telescoping stock. The SB15 is not a stock so my opinion is as good as yours. I wouldn't count it personally.

My current setup has a pistol buffer tube and a 12.5" barrel. Base of the tube to the tip of the muzzle (excluding the flash hider) measures around 26.25". This makes mine within the same spec as the Franklin Armory XO-26 for an OAL standpoint.

I do expect that range masters uneducated with these recent ATF letters will question my gear when I show up, so I actually printed out the 2 ATF letters and stuffed inside the grip storage - just in case.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure if the brace counts for OAL since measurement refer to an integral part of the firearm, such as a telescoping stock. The SB15 is not a stock so my opinion is as good as yours. I wouldn't count it personally. ...
View Quote

Yep. I'll repeat:

Find any ATF documentation stating that anything but a stock counts toward OAL on the rear end of firearm past the necessary operating parts.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep. I'll repeat:

Find any ATF documentation stating that anything but a stock counts toward OAL on the rear end of firearm past the necessary operating parts.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure if the brace counts for OAL since measurement refer to an integral part of the firearm, such as a telescoping stock. The SB15 is not a stock so my opinion is as good as yours. I wouldn't count it personally. ...

Yep. I'll repeat:

- OS

I hear you, but I'm not the one who would test that theory. I would certainly like an ATF letter to back it up though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I hear you, but I'm not the one who would test that theory. I would certainly like an ATF letter to back it up though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I'll repeat:

- OS

Letter I posted on second page says exactly how ATF measures OAL. Since only a stock is mentioned in the equation, seems logical to me to assume that only a stock counts, if they want to play hard ball.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#12]
so if you throw a stock and AFG on a pistol over 26" its legal? even though the barrel would be shorter then 14.5"?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
so if you throw a stock and AFG on a pistol over 26" its legal? even though the barrel would be shorter then 14.5"?
View Quote

Barrel length is quite specific. Under 16" it must be a pistol/firearm configuration with no stock.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Barrel length is quite specific. Under 16" it must be a pistol/firearm configuration with no stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what I thought. but if over 26" VFGs are gtg regardless?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First,  you said AFG the first time, which is legal at any length.

But yes, again, if 26" or more legal length, VFG is okay. And again2, if muzzle device is needed to count in length, must be permanently installed. And again3, best of luck assuming that anything but a stock counts toward legal length on buffer end.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#16]
back to the original topic-
anybody use the Sig brace with a Vltor receiver tube?
testimonials please...

thank you,
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
back to the original topic-
anybody use the Sig brace with a Vltor receiver tube?
testimonials please...

thank you,
View Quote

Yes, I do. Just cut, or grind away the rail that the normal stock would adjust it's length on & you're in business. Best practice would be to chuck it up in a lathe, if you have access to one. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was hoping to use a leftover A2 receiver extension on my pistol build to save some money and give myself a bigger LOP with the SB-15 brace.

And I just realized I have a problem. Without a rear CAR style plate, there is nothing to hold in the takedown pin detent and spring, but with a plate, the A2 tube does not thread far enough into the lower to retain the buffer retainer pin.

Reading up, most seem to think it's not a critical part as long as you don't mind the buffer and spring riding forward to the hammer when you open the AR up, but I've seen others insist it's critical.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Use a 4-40 tap & thread the hole that the takedown spring & detent goes into. Cut a portion of the spring corresponding to the length of the set screw you are using to plug the hole. That way you don't need the end plate. Best way to cut the spring is to use a Dremel cutoff wheel, not wire cutters. There is some instructions with pictures, somewhere on the site. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#20]
This is the takedown pin solution.  I've done it and it works perfect.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/kns-250-psh-bttn-rear-take-dwn-pn-10587.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the wrong picture there in link, btw, shows KNS front pivot pin -- somehow it has been propagated around to many vendors.

The actual rear take down pin is:

And yes it works great,  very simple solution. Only minor drawback is that pin is of course not retained, so can be lost unlike a captive one.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Is there an ATF letter about extending a buffer tube?

I'd like to set up a pistol or "firearm" with a 26" OAL using a 10" barrek. I want it short, compact, and have the ability to run a VFG. Has the ATF made any coment on using an extra long buffer tube? I tought of welding on a 3-4" extension so it would be solid and non adjustable.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's the wrong picture there in link, btw, shows KNS front pivot pin -- somehow it has been propagated around to many vendors.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_923000039_1.jpg

And yes it works great,  very simple solution. Only minor drawback is that pin is of course not retained, so can be lost unlike a captive one.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I guess it could be lost...but I've been using it for quite some time.  It's a push pin so when you field strip the gun, I guess you could lose it...but I've never seen that pin come out during fire.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I guess it could be lost...but I've been using it for quite some time.  It's a push pin so when you field strip the gun, I guess you could lose it...but I've never seen that pin come out during fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yeah, just meant could lose it when you take it out, they are just as secure during use as conventional pin arrangement.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'd like to set up a pistol or "firearm" with a 26" OAL using a 10" barrek. I want it short, compact, and have the ability to run a VFG. Has the ATF made any coment on using an extra long buffer tube? I tought of welding on a 3-4" extension so it would be solid and non adjustable.
View Quote

I've never seen any ATF doc that suggested anything but a stock contributes to legal OAL on butt end beyond standard spec operating receiver extension.

Even things like rubber can tips, which have been ruled legal, have not been stated to also count toward OAL.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've never seen any ATF doc that suggested anything but a stock contributes to legal OAL on butt end beyond standard spec operating receiver extension.

Even things like rubber can tips, which have been ruled legal, have not been stated to also count toward OAL.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

The buffer tube on an AR pistol is considered part of OAL as it is an integral part of the weapon and not an accessory.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The buffer tube on an AR pistol is considered part of OAL as it is an integral part of the weapon and not an accessory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yes of course, but adding length beyond its basic spec, even permanently with welding, may well not be seen as such, was question to which I was responding.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes of course, but adding length beyond its basic spec, even permanently with welding, may well not be seen as such, was question to which I was responding.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

Meh. There are many lengths of extension tubes/buffer systems to choose from.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, there's that vast array of choices for extra length --  rifle instead of carbine.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, there's that vast array of choices for extra length --  rifle instead of carbine.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Would an A2 buffer tube and a 10" barrel give me an AOL of 26" or greater?
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The upper is 7 1/4", A2 buffer tube/receiver extension is 9 1/2" screwed in.

So that's 16 3/4"  IIRC, the breechface to the muzzle threads that the 10" is counted from is about 1/2 to 3/4" inside the upper, so I'd say to make the barrel count for 9 1/4" to err on the side of caution.

So that just barely makes it. Of course you could pin & weld the muzzle device you've chosen if it comes up short.
View Quote

Yeah, it would be close  one way or the other not counting muzzle device. Really close. Don't scratch off any paint on end of buffer. :)

- OS
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top