Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:14:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
Posted By rightwingnut
doesn't OH have some law against having a magazine of more than 32 rds inserted in a gun and doesn't NC define a machine gun as a gun w/ a capacity of 30 or so rds, regardless of whether it has actual full - would matter if carrying concealed.

Law in Ohio was changed in 2016. We could always own magazines over 30 rounds but not allowed to use them in semi-autos (except .22 and registered mgs) but almost no one got prosecuted for it unless it was another charge added to bigger crime. Although there was a $50 permit that you could get from the sheriff's office which allowed this. Anyway it's gone and you can open carry an AR-15 with a beta mag (or conceal a pistol with a 100rd mag with a CHL for that matter) and no one can do anything to you here.
View Quote
Incorrect, NC describes a machine gun firing multiple rounds with a single pull of the trigger.
NC firearm laws

I hunt with my ARs with either a 20/30 rd mag.  AR pistols are GTG and covered under Concealed Handgun Permit.  We can't keep a loaded rifle behind the seat of the truck as that would be illegal as considered concealed.  AR pistols work within the law to have a loaded/out of sight AR accessible to driver.  No magazine limit for semi autos either.  Can hunt with a semi auto M1919 on tripod and a 250 rd belt if you build a blind around it!

CD
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 3:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanSentinelK9] [#2]
https://www.mdwfp.com/media/253559/w-part-2-rule-22-deer-seasons-and-bag-limits-final.pdf

C. 3. Gun: There are no caliber or magazine capacity restrictions on firearms.

In the "youth" section it states...

"6. e. v. Youth may carry and use any firearm with which they can safely hunt, and in compliance with other applicable laws, rules and regulations."
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 3:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanSentinelK9] [#3]
All of MS' rules can be seen here... https://www.mdwfp.com/administration/rules/

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/253331/w-pt-2-chapter-1-wma-regs-compilation-rev-04-2017-final.pdf

Gun restrictions exist in some Wildlife Management Areas...and in that section it states...
13...so check whatever WMA you are going to...but for non-WMAs the rule is...

Rule 1:1 K "K
.    LEGAL  WEAPONS:    Only  centerfire  rifles,  shotguns  with  slugs  or  buckshot, primitive  weapons,  and  centerfire  handguns  may  be  used  for  deer  hunting,  EXCEPT  FOR Calhoun  County, Chickasaw,  Chickasawhay,  Choctaw,  John  Starr,  Little  Biloxi,  and  Upper Sardis  where  only  centerfire  rifles,  shotguns  with  slugs,  primitive  weapons,  and  centerfire handguns may be used for deer hunting. "
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Incorrect, NC describes a machine gun firing multiple rounds with a single pull of the trigger.
NC firearm laws

I hunt with my ARs with either a 20/30 rd mag.  AR pistols are GTG and covered under Concealed Handgun Permit.  We can't keep a loaded rifle behind the seat of the truck as that would be illegal as considered concealed.  AR pistols work within the law to have a loaded/out of sight AR accessible to driver.  No magazine limit for semi autos either.  Can hunt with a semi auto M1919 on tripod and a 250 rd belt if you build a blind around it!

CD
View Quote
This was my assumption until I recently attended a CCH class with my wife (have had mine for about 3+yrs now), and the instructor stated per NC Law, an AR pistol cannot be concealed with a Concealed Handgun Permit, since it does not meet the definition for a handgun. A handgun being defined as "N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.7 provides that it is a misdemeanor for any person under the age of eighteen (18) to willfully and intentionally possess or carry a handgun. A handgun is defined as a firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled. This prohibition does not apply to the following: (lists personnel exemptions, not weapon types. pg37 of NC Firearm Laws doc)".

I'd really love to figure a way to conceal my AR pistols in my vehicle for purposes of truck/BUG guns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Hawaii:  solid NO.  also, NO GO even with bullet button.  AFAIK, you have to weld (as in TIG-weld) the mag to the lower receiver, and then inspected by the police dept firearms division.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#6]
North Dakota is GTG.

everything gunwise is GTG here, no restrictions no waiting periods, none of that shit.  NFA is GTG.

AR pistols are defiantly GTG here in ND.

Shit you can now CC your AR pistol without a permit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep seeing this GTG with registration, For PA.  I've lived here all my life and no of any such registration.

There is the usual NICS background check but no actual registration.

My FFL is a retired statey so I would think he would let me know if there were.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
In MI, the "under 30 inches" provision was changed to Federal standard of 26". Interesting side note... if you have a long gun that measured more than 26" but under 30" OAL, and had it registered in MI as a pistol prior to Jan 1, 2013.... It's "grandfathered" and may still be legally carried concealed.

Because my account is considered "new", I have a 2000 character limit, per post, so I cannot copy and paste the list, with the 30" provision removed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Alaska is 100% good with AR pistols.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 3guntacops:
Nebraska is G2G, just treat it as a handgun. We're pretty open on all gun laws with only 2 cities having their own "restrictions"
View Quote
Confirming GTG in Nebraska,  l am in Lincoln and can not find any local restrictions
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Doug_Masters] [#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
While that may be true for civilians it did not apply while I was living there and military. I kept my firearms on base in the armory and HPD has no say so in it and no jurisdiction. Our CO approved it also.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#13]
ND has no restrictions on anything.

MN the only restriction is the barrel has to be less than 16" to be a pistol. If over 16" barrel even with a brace it becomes a rifle per MN law.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:
I keep seeing this GTG with registration, For PA.  I've lived here all my life and no of any such registration.

My FFL is a retired statey so I would think he would let me know if there were.
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Updated for Wisconsin to get the ambiguity out of there. WI is GTG - period. A pistol is a pistol & there is nothing in the law to play with. Likewise SBR, suppressor, etc. as long as you've jumped the other hoops.

Alabama..............................GTG, no restrictions, but bbl less than 12" is considered a "pistol" and regulated as such for CC purposes (Ala. Code 13A-11-70(1)).
Alaska
American Samoa
Arizona.................................GTG
Arkansas................................GTG, with barrel less than 12" per definitions S5-73-301 "Handgun" any firearm other than a fully automatic firearm with a barrel length of less than 12 inches that is designed or adapted to be fired with one hand.
California..............................GTG with bullet button - California Penal Code § 12276.1(a)(4) , California Code of Regulations § 5469(a)
Colorado..................GTG, no restriction, but bbl 12" or less regulated by handgun statute (C.R.S. 18-12-101(1)(e.5)). Denver 20 rd max, may not apply to pistol (D.C. 38-130)
Connecticut.......................NO, complete ban. Defined here: Conn. Gen. Stat. 53-202(a). Prohibited here: Conn. Gen. Stat. 53-202(c).
Delaware..............................GTG
District of Columbia...............NO, assault weapons defined as: DC Official Code § 7-2501.01(3A)
Florida.................................GTG
Georgia.................................GTG x1
Guam
Hawaii..................................GTG with welded magazine or in single shot configuration (Must not fall under "assault pistol" definition) - Hawaii Revised Statutes § 134-1
Idaho
Illinois................................GTG except complete ban in Cook county (CCC 54-212(a)).
Indiana...............................GTG, IC 35-47-1-6 not a restriction on OAL.
Iowa....................................GTG
Kansas
Kentucky................................GTG
Louisiana...............................GTG x1 at 99%
Maine
Maryland................................OK to build but not sell
Massachusetts...........................NO, but "maybe" if owned before 1994 and you have some special paperwork
Michigan................................GTG with registration? less than 30 inches
Minnesota...............................GTG x1
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana.................................GTG x1
Nebraska
Nevada..................................GTG -
Nevada Revised Statutes 202.253-369
New Hampshire GTGx2 - Pistol can not be loaded in a vehicle without having a Pistol Permit. No other restrictions. NH pistol laws
New Jersey..................................... Pistol permit must be used.  under 50 oz total weight, no handgaurds, 7.5 barrel  
New Mexico............................GTG
New York ...................................Restricted - see expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 (pre-ban is GTG––all must be licensed)
North Carolina..........................GTG x1
North Dakota............................GTG - NRA-ILA data
Northern Marianas Islands
Ohio....................................GTG
Oklahoma................................GTG, but no concealed carry - Oklahoma Statutes, Title 21 § 1290.2.2.a
Oregon............ GTG
Pennsylvania....................GTG. NRA-ILA data
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island.........................GTG, treated as any other firearm. If OAL under 26" firearm is considered a pistol. R.I. Gen. Laws 11-47-2(8).
South Carolina.......................GTG, however, due to size, does NOT qualify as a "concealable weapon" per SC Law -- see SECTION 23-31-210 (Part 5)
South Dakota..........................GTG - NRA-ILA data
Tennessee...............................GTG
Texas............................................GTG 100% confirmed - treated as any other handgun
Utah........................................GTG
Vermont.................................GTG x1
Virginia...................................GTG X2
Virgin Islands
Washington..............................GTG x2 OpenCarry.org data
West Virginia...........................GTG - WV Firearm Laws
Wisconsin...............................GTG
Wyoming
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JmE] [#16]
Also be aware that if you have an AR-15 pistol with an overall length of less than 26" it is considered a pistol, like with standard pistol buffer tube and 10 1/2"  barrel, but if you add a longer length  12" barrel then it becomes a firearm if the overall length is over 26" as many shooters do this in order to add a vertical pistol grip legally without it being registered as an AOW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Also be aware that if you have an AR-15 pistol with an overall length of less than 26" it is considered a pistol, like with standard pistol buffer tube and 10 1/2"  barrel, but if you add a longer length  12" barrel then it becomes a firearm if the overall length is over 26" as many shooters do this in order to add a vertical pistol grip legally without it being registered as an AOW.
ETA: Or, were you not specifically referring to Ohio?

Can you please cite where in the Ohio Revised Code that the following definition of a handgun is contradicted? It doesn't read that way to me. I do not see any limitation on barrel length for a handgun. Am I missing it somewhere?

2923.11 Weapons control definitions.

(C) "Handgun" means any of the following:

(1) Any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;

(2) Any combination of parts from which a firearm of a type described in division (C)(1) of this section can be assembled.
The following is in reference to a rifle or a shotgun; of which an AR pistol is neither.

2923.11 Weapons control definitions.

(F) "Sawed-off firearm" means a shotgun with a barrel less than eighteen inches long, or a rifle with a barrel less than sixteen inches long, or a shotgun or rifle less than twenty-six inches long overall.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:42:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JmE] [#17]
{Deleted} Double tap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:27:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pebble] [#18]
Updated for MA.

Alabama..............................GTG, no restrictions, but bbl less than 12" is considered a "pistol" and regulated as such for CC purposes (Ala. Code 13A-11-70(1)).
Alaska
American Samoa
Arizona.................................GTG
Arkansas................................GTG, with barrel less than 12" per definitions S5-73-301 "Handgun" any firearm other than a fully automatic firearm with a barrel length of less than 12 inches that is designed or adapted to be fired with one hand.
California..............................GTG with bullet button - California Penal Code § 12276.1(a)(4) , California Code of Regulations § 5469(a)
Colorado..................GTG, no restriction, but bbl 12" or less regulated by handgun statute (C.R.S. 18-12-101(1)(e.5)). Denver 20 rd max, may not apply to pistol (D.C. 38-130)
Connecticut.......................NO, complete ban. Defined here: Conn. Gen. Stat. 53-202(a). Prohibited here: Conn. Gen. Stat. 53-202(c).
Delaware..............................GTG
District of Columbia...............NO, assault weapons defined as: DC Official Code § 7-2501.01(3A)
Florida.................................GTG
Georgia.................................GTG x1
Guam
Hawaii..................................GTG with welded magazine or in single shot configuration (Must not fall under "assault pistol" definition) - Hawaii Revised Statutes § 134-1
Idaho
Illinois................................GTG except complete ban in Cook county (CCC 54-212(a)).
Indiana...............................GTG, IC 35-47-1-6 not a restriction on OAL.
Iowa....................................GTG
Kansas
Kentucky................................GTG
Louisiana...............................GTG x1 at 99%
Maine
Maryland................................OK to build but not sell
Massachusetts...........................Restricted, must either be manufactured before 1994 or have a permanently fixed 10 rd magazine.
Michigan................................GTG with registration? less than 30 inches
Minnesota...............................GTG x1
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana.................................GTG x1
Nebraska
Nevada..................................GTG -
Nevada Revised Statutes 202.253-369
New Hampshire GTGx2 - Pistol can not be loaded in a vehicle without having a Pistol Permit. No other restrictions. NH pistol laws
New Jersey..................................... Pistol permit must be used. under 50 oz total weight, no handgaurds, 7.5 barrel
New Mexico............................GTG
New York ...................................Restricted - see expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 (pre-ban is GTG––all must be licensed)
North Carolina..........................GTG x1
North Dakota............................GTG - NRA-ILA data
Northern Marianas Islands
Ohio....................................GTG
Oklahoma................................GTG, but no concealed carry - Oklahoma Statutes, Title 21 § 1290.2.2.a
Oregon............ GTG
Pennsylvania....................GTG. NRA-ILA data
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island.........................GTG, treated as any other firearm. If OAL under 26" firearm is considered a pistol. R.I. Gen. Laws 11-47-2(8).
South Carolina.......................GTG, however, due to size, does NOT qualify as a "concealable weapon" per SC Law -- see SECTION 23-31-210 (Part 5)
South Dakota..........................GTG - NRA-ILA data
Texas............................................GTG 100% confirmed - treated as any other handgun
Utah........................................GTG
Vermont.................................GTG x1
Virginia...................................GTG X2
Virgin Islands
Washington..............................GTG x2 OpenCarry.org data
West Virginia...........................GTG - WV Firearm Laws
Wisconsin...............................GTG
Wyoming
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uspmasterrace] [#19]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By x39crazy:
California requires a bullet button, but otherwise gtg as far as I know.
View Quote
Bullet buttons are no longer GTG in California with the passage of SB-880.  Magazine removal requires disassembly.

CA Penal Code 30515.b
“fixed magazine” means an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action

CA Penal Code 30900.b.1
including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be readily removed from the firearm with the use of a tool
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Oklahoma gtg but over 16 inches overall length means has to follow rifle regs for loaded in vehicles.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By inop:
Oklahoma gtg but over 16 inches overall length means has to follow rifle regs for loaded in vehicles.
View Quote
I saw that on one site also and is what is referred to on the list, however I went to the Oklahoma self defense act and it says barrel length under 16 inches defines it as a handgun or pistol. http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69785
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#23]

In Tennessee. Does this mean I can keep my AR pistol in my car open or concealed? Carry around in a pack back, etc? I have a carry permit...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#24]
As of today Puerto Rico has no AR pistol restrictions or SBR restrictions. My understanding with the SBR part that acording to a letter that a lawyer wrote to the ATF, the ATF response is that since residents of Puerto Rico don’t pay federal income tax at a personal level, the ATF has now way to collect the $200 stamp tax for SBR’s, hence no restrictions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll confirm that Kansas is still good to go.

AR pistols, NFA... have fun!

Lots of toys here.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Just built one in MI. I think MI can Be changed to something like "GTG - All Pistols in MI Require Registration" Handed the RI-60 form with the .223/7.5"/17" OAL (Law Tactical) marked, to the Sheriff's Deputy, and he said "have a nice day".
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

View Quote
Pennsylvania has a "Database of Sales" which is supposed to be purged on a regular basis but the state police refuse to do so.  A "registry" is illegal in Pennsylvania but the courts say that the Database of Sales is not a registry because not all guns are in it.

The problem comes when a police officer decides to "run" your gun against the "registry" and it doesn't come up.  It is not unknown for police officers to confiscate guns until you can prove that you own it.   The reasons that a gun wouldn't be in the "registry" are legion but that doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By THEWAKLER:

This was my assumption until I recently attended a CCH class with my wife (have had mine for about 3+yrs now), and the instructor stated per NC Law, an AR pistol cannot be concealed with a Concealed Handgun Permit, since it does not meet the definition for a handgun. A handgun being defined as "N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.7 provides that it is a misdemeanor for any person under the age of eighteen (18) to willfully and intentionally possess or carry a handgun. A handgun is defined as a firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled. This prohibition does not apply to the following: (lists personnel exemptions, not weapon types. pg37 of NC Firearm Laws doc)".

I'd really love to figure a way to conceal my AR pistols in my vehicle for purposes of truck/BUG guns.
View Quote
An AR-pistol with a SIG brace is intended to be fired with one hand, therefore it meets the NC definition of pistol.  Though I live in South Carolina, I'm 8 miles from the border of North Carolina and frequently travel to the Old North State.  My last degree is from THE UNC.

Since my SC concealed weapons permit is completely accepted by NC, and NC is an open carry state; it appears that all non-prohibited persons can carry an AR-Pistol open or, with CWP, concealed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#29]
For Ohio:

Looks like there's noteworthy actions that need remedy. If anyone has any further knowledge, please post up.

http://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-gun-groups-say-self-defense-bill-bans-some-weapons#stream/0

"A mistake in writing up an Ohio bill could inadvertently ban several types of already legal guns and must be fixed quickly, gun rights advocates say."

"The bill also attempted to align Ohio law with federal law regarding short-barrel weapons, or generally speaking shotguns with barrel lengths less than 16 inches.

Such guns are legal under federal law but classified as illegal in Ohio, even though many gun stores sell them. As the bill was being drafted, a misplaced paragraph unintentionally lumped a variety of long guns into a prohibited category.

Those could include semi-automatic AK-47s and any long gun with a pistol grip, which could also affect shotguns used in competitive shooting."

Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#30]
And another attempt to eliminate the AR pistol platform (will now require an NFA $200 stamp, just like SBR's) Straight from Florida Rep. Val Demings.

Law Enforcement Protection Act
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Indiana is good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#32]
No restrictions on AR pistols in Missouri. Hopefully the state legislature will nullify the Federal NFA as well this year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I live in ILLINOIS and it's tragic seeing so many people celebrating "just have to register"  or "registered mine today".   Point of Information....Illinois is registering then banning all rifles and pistols they choose to designate as "assault"  even though the statute after which they modeled their regulation has already been invalidated.  By "ing" I mean the legislation is in process and unopposed. Step one is registration.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:24:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#34]
Originally Posted By JmE:

ETA: Or, were you not specifically referring to Ohio?

Can you please cite where in the Ohio Revised Code that the following definition of a handgun is contradicted? It doesn't read that way to me. I do not see any limitation on barrel length for a handgun. Am I missing it somewhere?
View Quote
When I stated:

"Also be aware that if you have an AR-15 pistol with an overall length of less than 26" it is considered a pistol, like with standard pistol buffer tube and 10 1/2" barrel, but if you add a longer length 12" barrel then it becomes a firearm if the overall length is over 26" as many shooters do this in order to add a vertical pistol grip legally without it being registered as an AOW."

I was referring to federal law NOT Ohio law. Also, I was explaining that when your AR pistol is over 26" it is a now a firearm (no longer a handgun) under federal law BUT still a handgun under Ohio state law. In this configuration you CAN add a vertical grip - good to go under Ohio state law AND federal law. HOWEVER, if you conceal a "firearm" over 26" which HAS a SECOND vertical grip it becomes an unregistered AOW under FEDERAL law - OK to do so under Ohio law but illegal under federal law.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 46MUSCLE01:
In Alabama, is it legal to build an AR15 Pistol with a 12" barrel, or does it have to be under 12" to be considered a pistol? From what I can tell, the law states that a firearm with a length less than 12" is considered a pistol. Would I be legal with a 12" upper, or do I need to build something smaller?
View Quote
No - In Alabama a 12" barrel would not be considered a pistol.

Originally Posted By nhojyelbom:
they are saying if you have a "rifle" with a barrel less than 12" its considered a pistol (illegal sbr) you should be ok with any length barrel on a pistol lower
View Quote
No - What they are saying is that a firearm with a barrel LESS THAN 12" is considered a pistol by the state of Alabama.  Whether or not it is an "illegal" SBR depends on other factors, all of which are federal rules/laws.  For example, does it have a stock?  If so, fed rules are that it is an SBR.  If it doesn't have a stock or designed to be fired from the shoulder, fed rules are that it is not an SBR.

§ 13A-11-70. Definitions. For the purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:
(1) Pistol. – Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

If the firearm has a barrel 12" or longer, Alabama does not consider it a pistol regardless of what lower it is built on and regardless of fed rules/law.

Alabama law does not address SBRs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Puerto Rico no restrictions for AR pistols, and the NFA does not apply.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mdmAL:

No - In Alabama a 12" barrel would not be considered a pistol.

No - What they are saying is that a firearm with a barrel LESS THAN 12" is considered a pistol by the state of Alabama.  Whether or not it is an "illegal" SBR depends on other factors, all of which are federal rules/laws.  For example, does it have a stock?  If so, fed rules are that it is an SBR.  If it doesn't have a stock or designed to be fired from the shoulder, fed rules are that it is not an SBR.

§ 13A-11-70. Definitions. For the purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:
(1) Pistol. – Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

If the firearm has a barrel 12" or longer, Alabama does not consider it a pistol regardless of what lower it is built on and regardless of fed rules/law.

Alabama law does not address SBRs.
View Quote
So I wouldn't be able to handgun hunt with my 14" Contender?
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I believe you could only travel here to CA with a Franklin Armory "roster-approved" AR-pistol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#39]

When I stated:

"Also be aware that if you have an AR-15 pistol with an overall length of less than 26" it is considered a pistol, like with standard pistol buffer tube and 10 1/2" barrel, but if you add a longer length 12" barrel then it becomes a firearm if the overall length is over 26" as many shooters do this in order to add a vertical pistol grip legally without it being registered as an AOW."

I was referring to federal law NOT Ohio law. Also, I was explaining that when your AR pistol is over 26" it is a now a firearm (no longer a handgun) under federal law BUT still a handgun under Ohio state law. In this configuration you CAN add a vertical grip - good to go under Ohio state law AND federal law. HOWEVER, if you conceal a "firearm" over 26" which HAS a SECOND vertical grip it becomes an unregistered AOW under FEDERAL law - OK to do so under Ohio law but illegal under federal law.
View Quote
Ah. Gotcha. Now I understand. Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#40]
As already mentioned and never updated, Alaska is goof to go on AR pistols and the such!
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Many new state laws are not updated. I know bullet buttons are now banned in California. Could a resident of the state please provide an update?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#42]
anything on maine?
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 03shooter:
I saw that on one site also and is what is referred to on the list, however I went to the Oklahoma self defense act and it says barrel length under 16 inches defines it as a handgun or pistol. http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69785
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03shooter:
Originally Posted By inop:
Actually, the definition of handgun includes a provision about overall length.

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971
Section 1289.3 - Definitions for Firearms Act

This Statute Will Go Into Effect On: 11/01/2019   See Historical Data for Current Version  Cite as: 21 O.S. § 1289.3 (OSCN 2019), Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971
DEFINITIONS FOR FIREARMS ACT

"Pistols" or "handguns" as used in the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971 and the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall mean any firearm capable of discharging single or multiple projectiles from a single round of ammunition composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels less than sixteen (16) inches in length, and using a combustible propellant charge, but not to include any firearm with an overall length of twenty-six (26) inches or more, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Would it make sense to get the updated list edited into the first post of the thread?

That way folks who don't have the time/attention span to read through the 6(so far) pages can quickly reference their state.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 1:09:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SgtFullAuto] [#45]
As far as The Peoples Republic of Maryland goes, as long as the make and model of the ak or ar pistol is on the approved Maryland State Police handgun roster, which several are, it is legal to buy and sell.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#46]
any updates for CA people?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Missouri is GTG
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Fixed 10 mag stock allows for ar pistols in Mass seems to be the go around. A manufacture here producing 10 round fixed lowers were sued but the case was thrown out so seems legal but like anything in Mass who knows.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#49]
The squirrely Connecticut law:

AR rifles. Preban only
AR pistols. Preban only

Now, the entire state definition of a pistol is (any firearm with a barrel less than 12" long is a pistol)

So, if you build an AR without a shoulder stock AND a barrel at least 12", you're GTG.
This would be a pistol per ATF regs yet only a "firearm" per CT law.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#50]
AZ and TX are okay with AR pistols.  I currently live in AZ and have just lived in TX.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top