Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2010 6:59:21 PM EDT
where are the links to ATF rulings about making an AR pistol from a 4473 "other" listed firearm
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
i dont know about links but ––-
you must get a lower that never had a stock on it EVER

then make your pistol / slap your upper on and you are good to go ––- no second grip besides the pistol grip-or it is an AOW

––-forearm is a heat shield.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he was asking about "transfering" the the 4473.  If I'm not mistaken the new (about a year old) 4473 has three selections "rifle", "pistol", and "striped reciever?"  I thought having it classified as a reciever AND never putting a stock on it allowed it to legally be a pistol if you build it as one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If the COMPLETED lower left the FACTORY as only a lower and NEVER had a upper on it, you can take the stock off and then put a pistol upper on it and it will be legal....because the lower as it left the factory even with a stock was not a rifle, SBR, or pistol....just a lower.

There is a ATF letter confirming this.

I personally will probably just use a stripped lower, because it is easier to piece together,
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to see that letter too. I searched but couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, that's the letter I was reffering to, I know I've read it, but I can't find it know.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#7]
No pistol form in florida, talked to the manufacturer about a letter stating my lowers were sold as stripped and never built into rifles, as ATF has previously said it required, but the Manufacturer said they don't do that, there really is no way to CYA as even the 4473 is kept by the dealer, and he doesn't want to give me a copy showing they were registered as "other" I guess I'm just at the mercy of the ATF or any other agency that might have a hard on for AR15 pistols.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#9]
so the lower i bought last year that's been waiting for me to decide it's fate can be made into a pistol without filling out any more forms?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so the lower i bought last year that's been waiting for me to decide it's fate can be made into a pistol without filling out any more forms?

From a federal standpoint, YES.  From a LOCAL standpoint, you need to follow the laws in your State, and City.

For instance, in MICHIGAN, even though a lower gets transfered as "other" you must register it with the state if it is to be built into a pistol.  One would need to get a Pistol Purchase Permit PRIOR to actually receiving the lower from the dealer.

In Illinois, with your FOID CARD and all, I'm not sure what the STATE and LOCAL laws are about AR Pistols.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to be this dense, I know you guys already answered it but I could swear I previously read that a pistol had to be made from a pistol frame(receiver)

So do I understand this correctly, I can use my stripped Spikes Receiver that I bought from AIM Surplus and build a pistol without NFA forms?

Again, apologies for sounding so dense....
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
From what I have read, But can't find now, hense the request for links, as long as your state has no state specific pistol registration requirements, you just need a lower that has never had a rifle upper on it and completed as a rifle, and that was logged out on the 4773 as either a "pistol" or "other" as the firearm type, if it was logged out as a rifle your SOL, its now a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Fair enough,

I'll call my FFL and ask him on Monday.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Does this also mean the BATFE has dropped its silly requirement to contact the manufacturer and verify it has never be built into a rifle before and is a virgin receiver, even though when we buy a stripped receiver from a dearler that has a whole rack of them, we know that they are. As I have read that on a few BATFE opinion letters, which I also can't find now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I have read, But can't find now, hense the request for links, as long as your state has no state specific pistol registration requirements, you just need a lower that has never had a rifle upper on it and completed as a rifle, and that was logged out on the 4773 as either a "pistol" or "other" as the firearm type, if it was logged out as a rifle your SOL, its now a rifle.

If your dealer knows what he is doing he should never be checking anything but "other" on the 4473 for a receiver.  It is neither a long gun nor a hand gun until it is complete.  Some dealers for whatever reason don't seem to be able to read simple English and understand this.  It's in the directions in the 4473.  Next time you fill one out, flip to the directions for that question.

I called today, I am clear on my receiver I purchased from AIM, I can build a pistol :)
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top