Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2010 11:21:52 AM EDT
Does anyone have any feedback on the reliability and function of the GSE short buffer and buffer tube assembly?  I'm working on an M231 pistol build and while I hope to eventually have something fabricated to look more "right," I'm looking at the GSE setup as a starting point.  

Any thoughts or any possible alternatives?  Looking to make this a pistol build, not an SBR, so the DPMS stock is out unless I want to pin the flash suppressor on my M231 barrel, which I'd like to avoid.  The barrel is 15" and some change.

Thanks,
~Augee
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Most would say they are not the most reliable product, a select few will say they work fine.  Personally not worth wasting my time and money on to get it to function properly if things go amiss.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.  I've got one I'd sell you. Works great if your goal is a single shot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
DUDE!  Why didnt you SAY SO, I've been hunting for one for a project for months!
I'm actually trying to come up with a better "short buffer" and the GSE tube is just for the tube...the guts...feh, don't need that unreliable crap.
PM me if you are really interested in selling it and how much you want for it
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know how much if any at all these reliability problems are brought on by timing problems having to do with traditionally short, sub-10" pistol uppers?  

What kinds of malfunctions are you guys getting?  Short stroking?  Feeding problems?  Under gassed, over gassed?  Bolt bounce?  I'm not sure (and suspect I won't be until I try it myself) if it makes a difference, but the M231 upper, as I've said, is essentially a full length carbine, so all other things being equal (and minus the absurd ROF of the actual M231) it should run smoother than sub-optimal barrel lengths.  

Can anyone elaborate on how exactly the guts work?  I can guess based on the photos I've seen of the guts, but first hand information would be good, and I went through all the pages (though not the archives) of the pistol forums to see if anyone else had posted much of anything, but couldn't find much.

Thanks,
~Augee
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Old GSE using a standard bolt carrier basically uses an over strength 1911 spring in place of the standard buffer and spring setup.  Wears out lots faster and without the weighted buffer, is rougher on the gun during unlocking IIRC and leads to bolt bounce.
New GSE uses a standard spring, but modfies a bolt carrier so the spring extends part way up the carrier, removes the standard buffer, and [IIRC] uses a bumper on the back of the bolt carrier.  Again, no additional buffer weights to prevent bolt bounce, and slow down the timing.

I'm working on a design that solves all that, and keeps it around the same length as the GSE [roughly].  Still in testing though, but the semi auto test, both with a 16" barrel and my 7.5 [and my 10.5" 7.62x25] works
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Old GSE using a standard bolt carrier basically uses an over strength 1911 spring in place of the standard buffer and spring setup. Wears out lots faster and without the weighted buffer, is rougher on the gun during unlocking IIRC and leads to bolt bounce.

New GSE uses a standard spring, but modfies a bolt carrier so the spring extends part way up the carrier, removes the standard buffer, and [IIRC] uses a bumper on the back of the bolt carrier. Again, no additional buffer weights to prevent bolt bounce, and slow down the timing.

I'm working on a design that solves all that, and keeps it around the same length as the GSE [roughly]. Still in testing though, but the semi auto test, both with a 16" barrel and my 7.5 [and my 10.5" 7.62x25] works

Any update?

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing new.  Been dealing with personal issues.  Should be getting back to it in the next couple of weeks and getting the testing prototype sent off to Red Jacket Firearms for FA testing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the update.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The newest GSE pistol buffer worked great on my pistol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Was that with their carrier or a standard one?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Standard. I through it on with a Kitty Cat upper and it cycled fine no jams or hic-ups.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard. I through it on with a Kitty Cat upper and it cycled fine no jams or hic-ups.

Cool, I've got a similar upper on my pistol so I may give that setup a try. I'm assuming you're talking about this: "GSE. Original Pistol Buffer Recoil Kit complete" in the middle of this page?

http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/AR15_Pistol_Kits_GSE.html

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that their regular (small) buffer or their new (carbine size) buffer?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top