Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/27/2006 12:02:58 PM EDT
I have some questions about building a pistol out of a lower that I bought in a face to face deal. No steps to build or anything other than the lower has been bought yet. Before i get going I want to make sure all is legal. I already have several ARs. Here are my questions:

1. The lower is a stag that has never been built into anything and is completely mint but it is not registered to me at all. Do I have to register it as a pistol in PA?

2. Does it have to be registered to me at all?

3. What is the best 7" upper for the buck(model 1 or the RRA)?

Thanks,
Ghilly
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:07:02 PM EDT
I would probably take it to a FFL and have it transfered to me as a pistol receiver. I would buy a upper from CMMG.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:50:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 10:55:10 AM EDT by Soviet]
1. Anything but a rifle. Pistol, component reciever or igloo works.
2. Yes Unless you plan on committing a crime, then no.
3. CMMG(DPMS kittykat upper) or Model 1 Sales.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:58:18 AM EDT
Under federal law ( I know nothing of PA law) you do not have to register the pistol, nor must you have it signed out as a pistol. The law only requires that it never have been configured as a rifle. However, you might be called upon to show that it was never assembled as a rifle. Thats where having a virgin receiver signed out as a pistol comes in handy. Yours, FWIW, if it is ever traced, will be traced down to the original dealer who sold it as a rifle.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:00:29 AM EDT
Am I the only one that gets massively confused over gun "laws"?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:04:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
Am I the only one that gets massively confused over gun "laws"?

No. Judging by what I have seen, even the legislature and the ATF are confused by them. Probably has something to do with how stupid they are.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:32:53 AM EDT
You want confused gun laws, come over to our side of the country..
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:06:41 PM EDT
I think that I will just order an essential arm forged lower sent to my ffl. This way I will be sure and save the stag for a rifle of some sort.

Thanks,
Ghilly
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:51:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ghilly:
I think that I will just order an essential arm forged lower sent to my ffl. This way I will be sure and save the stag for a rifle of some sort.

Good idea! I'm going to exactly the same thing. I've purchased 4 lower receivers through my local FFL, and every one of the 4473's says "rifle". I just didn't know any better!
I don't know yet, but I'll bet that Essential Arms would be happy to add a line on the invoice/receipt stating that this particular lower had never been assembled into a rifle.
Top Top