Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:43:29 PM EDT
I know vertical foregrips on pistols make them into an AOW.  The only thing I do not understand is how is a Thompson 1927a5 not an AOW.  It had a vertical foregrip, but it was just classified as a pistol, whereas, say, an sp89 had the vertical grip deleted in favor of a smooth horizontal unit to become a pistol instead of AOW.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
tommy gun was before NFA, you could walk down to your local hardware store and buy a short barreld full auto rifle just like you would buy a shovel or a hammer
back then it was ok to have sholder stocks on pistols. very short barrel shotguns... people have to abuse it before they start regulateing it
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not talking about a Thompson Submachine Gun, I am talking about a semi automatic Thompson 1927a5 pistol.  Basically it is the semi auto carbine with no buttstock and a 13" barrel.  It was offered for sale up to '94 IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#3]
heres the one he is talking about

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976669173.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it because it's got no provision at all for a buttstock and with an AR pistol you could stick on a buttstock with little effort?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Is it because it's got no provision at all for a buttstock and with an AR pistol you could stick on a buttstock with little effort?

Pretty sure that has nothing to do with it.

The whole second grip (vert foregrip) has of late been in a very gray area. I was always told it then had to be an AOW, but others have proved different lately...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Pretty sure that has nothing to do with it.

The whole second grip (vert foregrip) has of late been in a very gray area. I was always told it then had to be an AOW, but others have proved different lately...

it's an unproven rule from the atf.
Instead of letting the judicial branch of the government interpret the law the executive branch has usurped that authority and is now doing it.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
ok, I'm being nice.... take a look at the tacked thread just above your heads.... loook up...... now!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top